PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, another one (but very strange)

thecornflake
30-03-2009, 12:21 PM
I've found the same lady from my other thread in the 1881 census, she was living with her son, daughter-in-law and their kids. However she is listed as sister and what's very strange is one of the kids (Florence) is listed on the same row in the census return. I haven't seen this before and I can't make out what is in the occupation column next to Florence.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/thecornflake/HarmanFamily1881CensusBeckenham.jpg

birdlip
30-03-2009, 12:32 PM
I think it's 'Cook out of situation'..these days we would call it 'between jobs'!

thecornflake
30-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Sorry! I got it completely wrong, what I meant was in the relation column, above where Elizabeth is sister there is a small word for Florence in the same row. It should be daughter.

Also do you know why there would be two people on one row? Is it just to fit the family on one page?

Sue Mackay
30-03-2009, 12:55 PM
It's Daur, an abbreviation for daughter.

I think the enumerator just realised he'd left her out and squeezed her in.

Chris Doran
30-03-2009, 1:57 PM
It's Daur, an abbreviation for daughter.
I agree. The top of the capital S of Sister merges with the a of Daur making it look like a p. All becomes clear if you mask out the "Sister".

I think the enumerator just realised he'd left her out and squeezed her in.
Yes again. The enumerator got to the bottom of the page/household and realised his mistake. BTW, I have seen such accidental omissions added on the last page of the folio, which was probably the official way of doing it. If you think someone is missing, it may pay to look there.

v.wells
30-03-2009, 2:13 PM
I agree with Sue and Chris.