PDA

View Full Version : MACKENZIE Passengers 1912 arrivals help

sally
29-03-2009, 10:36 AM
I have finally tracked down what I think is some of my MACKENZIE family leaving the UK for Canada & believe I have found them arriving in Canada. My problem is that the image found on the Canadian Library & Archives site is not easy to read.

I would appreciate it if someone can fill in the gaps on the manifest for me.

In as McKENZIE, sailing on the Hesperian from Glasgow to Halifax & arriving on the 26th March 1912 I have (all born Scotland & all going to Winnipeg, Ontario) -
William. aged ?. first went to Canada ?, a retd Canadian
Mrs (Mary), aged 56?, a Housewife
Russell , aged 13, a child

This is all I can read but on the journey out I have Wm as a baker aged 34, Mrs M as a housewife aged 54 & Russell aged 13.
If this is correct then it looks like William, his mother and youngest brother but I need to know, at the very least, ages & when this William emmigrated to Canada.

Regards
Sally

Nicolina
29-03-2009, 11:44 AM
there are quite a few MacKenzies on the Hesperian's manifest.
Wm MCKENZIE, a Baker aged 33 sailed on the HESPERIAN leaving Glasgow on 16th March 1912. His destination port was Halifax, Canada which is where was supposed to be staying. Also on board were Russell aged 13 and Mrs M McKenzie who was listed as Single, a Housewife aged 51. Travelling with them are David McKay aged 14 and Mrs M. McKay aged 35, also listed as a Housewife.
Elaine

AdeleE
29-03-2009, 12:07 PM
On the manifest page for the arrival of the Hesperian, page 2, ticket #013353
line 13 McKenzie / William / a / W / yes / 1912 / 6 yrs / Scotland / Scotch / Winnipeg Man / Retnd Canadians / notation on family = "??? line 13 baker".
I interpret this to be William is an a=adult, Widowed, had been in Canada 6 years to 1912, heading to Winnipeg, Manitoba, as a Returning Canadian. Baker applies to his occupation on his occupation box which had been previously been stamped "Retnd Canadian", leaving to room to write "baker" in the correct spot on the manifest.
line 14 McKenzie, Mrs. W, / 56 / W / no / Scotland / Scotch / Winnipeg Man / housewife / housewife
So Mrs. W is a widow who has never been in Canada before.
line 15 McKenzie Russell / 13 / S / no / Scotland / Scotch / Winnipeg Man / child / child
So Russell has never been in Canada before.
line 16 McKay David / 13 / S / no / Scotland / Scotch / Winnipeg Man / child / child
line 17 McKay Mrs / 35 / M / no / Scotland / Scotch / Winnipeg Man / Hswife / Hswife / to husband a clerk
So Mrs McKay is married, she & David never in Canada before & going to join husband, a clerk, in Winnipeg.

Adele

sally
29-03-2009, 6:37 PM
Thanks for your help Elaine I had missed the MCKAYs with them and after a look at the 1901 Scottish census, found David and realise that Mrs M. is probably William's sister Margaret.

Thank you for coming to my rescue again Adele. I think this must be my lot despite having William as widower. He married 1908 & remained married to the same woman until he died in 1928. You also found him as a baker which is also correct. Mrs MCKENZIE has the initial very clearly as M on the journey from England and as I have never found her husband Hugh on any manifest I believe he died before she sailed and both she and Russell are the right age. Pity they didn't include birthplace and just put Scotland as that was what showed for certain when William & his brothers first arrived in Canada in 1906. Just Roderick to find now I think.

Regards Sally

sally
29-03-2009, 8:58 PM
Found what I think is Roderick MACKENZIE with his brother Norman on the manifests for both leaving the UK & entering Canada in 1910.

These manifests facinate me, on both it has Roderick as 18 & Norman as 15 which is right. On leaving the UK however they were both farmers but on arrival in Canada Roderick was a farmer & wants to stay a farmer whereas Norman was a carpenter & wants to stay a carpenter. Both say they were born Scotland, going to Winipeg to stay with their brother so I reckon this is them. I had thought that Norman had died before the others left the UK as he wasn't on the 1916 with his mother Mary but looks like he was living elsewhere.

Regards
Sally