PDA

View Full Version : Names - are these interchangable?

Spangle
28-03-2009, 9:07 PM
Mine is a long story but, briefly, I am trying to prove or disprove a link between my ancestors and Meyer Oppenheim, the Birmingham and London based Jew who invented ruby glass in the 1700s. Circumstantial evidence has me believe that he was closely related to my direct ancestor, and now I have just discovered more.

Meyer Oppenheim was born in Hungary, lived and worked in England, then fled to France following a spell in the bankrupts prison in London. I have just found a report of Jews in Paris which tells me that Meyer was in Paris between 1755-1759... with his brother, Moyse.

The ancestor I feel may be linked to Meyer was called Moses Oppenheim (known also as Mosche, which I take it is a Hebrew name). My question is, would/could Moyse be a variation of either Moses or Mosche, or is it as different as Susan and Peter? Any names experts or Jewish ladies or gentlemen out there, can you put me out of my misery please?

Spangle
28-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Wow! Finbar please tell your wife that I want to run away with you 'cos you are a darling!!!!!

Thank you.... it seems that, although I can't exactly prove it, the chances are that my background is partly Hungarian, where Meyer (and now it seems my Moses/Mosche) came from!

Actually, I don't know whether I should cyber-hug you or throttle you for confirming my suspicions... because it still begs the question as to where the Oppenheims originated from. That Meyer (and thus presumably my Moses/Mosche) were born in Hungary is one thing.... but surely the surname started out as meaning a resident of Oppenheim in Germany!

Talk about wandering Jews....!!!!