PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Evans b Quorndon 1818 in Somerset.

JanMay
28-03-2009, 1:47 PM
For some time my friend has had a Thomas Evans in her file to investigate and hopefully find a connection to her Dorset Evans family.

She knew Thomas Evans married Sarah Harris (b abt 1815, Axminster, Devon) and they were both entered on the 1841 in Chard, Somerset as Not Born in County. Thomas had the occupation Smith.
The fact that he was "not born in county" made my friend think he was one of the Evans born close to Chard in that part of Dorset, on the Devon side of the town, which she was researching.
There was no record of either Thomas or Sarah in the 1851 census but we found out about their children. Thomas, jrn, living with a Harris uncle in Chard, Elizabeth in Chard Union Workhouse, and the fact that Richard had died. There was also a Henry Harris,b 1844, grandson b Chard with Sarah's Harris parents in Lyme Regis in 1851 but in the light our findings Thomas could not have been his father.

A trip to the Somerset Records Office was essential, my friend had found an online reference to the prisoners in Ilchester Jail showing a Thomas Evans??
Investigation of the Somerset resources proved in 1842, Thomas Evans, age 24, a smith, born in Quorn, Leicestershire, last abode Chard with 3 children, was awaiting 21 years, transportation for breaking into and stealing silverware from the parish church in Chard.

I had become interested when I found that the Harris family born in Axminster and resident in Lyme Regis tied in with one of my family branches.

Living in Somerset I am unable to visit the Leics Records Office to find out more about the family of Thomas Evans. I have found him on IGI, b 1818 Quorndon, son of Thomas and Elizabeth. I would be grateful if anybody could give me any information on this family.
Thank you