PDA

View Full Version : Drinks Manufacturers - PO Trade Directory

A Lee
28-03-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm not 100% sure I've put this is the right section, so I'm open to being told to put it somewhere else!

I am studying the HAMMANT family tree, in the 1914 PO Trades directory under the heading of Mineral Water, Soda Water, Lemonade and Ginger Beer Manufacturers, I found an entry for HAMMANT & CO, 22, Caldew Street, Camberwell.

I have an ancestor at that time who worked in pubs and Caldew Street is just down the road from where some of my family were living in the 1911 census.

My question is, how do I find out more about this 'company', particularly who it comprised of?
I have done an address search on 22 Caldew street on the 1911 census site but they only have an entry for no. 27!

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Alison

daggers
28-03-2009, 4:52 PM
It seems unlikely that anyone would live on the premises, except perhaps a watchman. You could try earlier directories for the surname, where the occupation of residents was often shown, and try earlier census returns as well.
D

A Lee
28-03-2009, 4:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. Do you think it would have been a 'proper business set-up' back then, as opposed to a few family members working from someones home address?

Geoffers
28-03-2009, 4:58 PM
I am studying the HAMMANT family tree, in the 1914 PO Trades directory under the heading of Mineral Water, Soda Water, Lemonade and Ginger Beer Manufacturers, I found an entry for HAMMANT & CO, 22, Caldew Street, Camberwell..

A couple of thoughts............

Are there any company records listed in The National Archives catalogue?

Is the company mentioned in the London Gazette?

Did the chap you know to have lived in the area, leave a will when he died? - OR - from his marriage certificate you will have his dad's name and occupation. Was his dad the owner of a company? Did he leave a will when he died in which he mentions the company?

A Lee
28-03-2009, 5:11 PM
Thanks Geoffers. I will try TNA and Gazette. I have tried wills before, to no avail.
Interestingly I have just tried the 1901 census and under 20,22, Caldew Street it's down as Coopers works Boot Factory Works.

i have just discovered someone I think may be connected to my family who was a bootmaker!

Do you think we are looking at a mini 'industrial estate' here?!

Mutley
28-03-2009, 5:32 PM
I think R. Whites Lemonade and Gingerbeer was very near there.
Maybe they were competitors, or a part of it?

A Lee
28-03-2009, 5:49 PM
Thanks Mutley..that's very interesting to know I'll have to look into that. I'm interested at the moment in finding out which HAMMANT and CO they are talking about so I can be certain whether or not they are part of my family....

Colin Moretti
28-03-2009, 7:28 PM
Have you contacted Southwark Local History Library (http://www.southwark.gov.uk/DiscoverSouthwark/heritageandhistory/LocalHistoryLibrary/)?

Colin

A Lee
28-03-2009, 9:39 PM
No, I'll give it a try. Thanks Colin

Mutley
28-03-2009, 11:15 PM
I have the 1902 Post Office Directory but have been unable to find Caldew Street. I know it existed, if you google there are references to it and you have found it in 1914. I have just acquired a wonderful atlas from Parish Chest 1922 and it is mentioned in the street index there but google maps does not bring it up now.

On google there is a mention of some one's grandmother born
at number 23 ;)

Was there a name change to the street? Do you know any of the nearby streets to locate it on a map?

A Lee
28-03-2009, 11:28 PM
thanks mutley, i have it on a map: it's off Addington Sq...fairly close to Camberwell road and Albany road. I have found it mentioned back as far as 1896...it is not on the 1891 census...but it is on 1901.......

Chris Doran
29-03-2009, 2:27 AM
Caldew St is called Cumberland St in Philips' 1891 Atlas. As Alison says, it ran off the SE corner of Addington Square (which was squarer then than now) into Cheam Place (Boyton St in 1891) and thence to New Church Rd. It is still there in Kelly's 1981 atlas, but is now subsumed into Burgess Park where on an aerial view it looks like it has become a footpath within a C-shaped clump of trees.

Kelly's 1902 London Southern Suburbs directory, whose street-by-street section shows only businesses, has no entry for 22 Caldew St.

No entry for Hammant's under Mineral Water in the 1939 classified 'phone book, but R White's had a factory not far away in Cunard St. I wonder if they took over Hammant's? If you have access to Ancestry, you might try earlier 'phone books.

A Lee
29-03-2009, 9:44 AM
Thanks for the post Chris, that is very helpful. I don't have access to any of the pay-to-view records on Ancestry. If I could just find out the individuals who were running the company in the 1914 entry it would be useful - they may not be my family...but it is looking very likely that they are. My one ancestor who worked in pubs was always down as potman/barman/cellarman until his death in 1922. On one cert in 1892 he was a licensed victuallesy. I therefore find it quite unlikely that the chap I'm thinking could have been involved in anything to do with the R Whites company.....

A Lee
29-03-2009, 9:53 AM
http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=307

What is the likelyhood of this being taken there? This has my gr-grandmother in it.....the others are yet unidentified...although I could hazard a guess at a couple.

Would anyone know when this was taken?

A Lee
04-04-2009, 12:52 PM
http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=311

This is another picture that I think may have been taken at a slightly different time but they are the same people and wearing the same clothing. Probably at the same place?