PDA

View Full Version : Tailor

dreynoldsuk
27-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Hi,
My 3x gt grandfather, William Goring, was a tailor. In the early 1800s his address was 14 Pall Mall, as was his business address. Does anyone know what Pall Mall was like in the early 1800s?
He later moved to Devonshire Street, Off Harley street, but his business was in Warwick Street, off Regent Street. In the directory he is listed as a tailor and masonic clothier. Does anyone know whether he would have been a higher class tailor or just bog standard? Is there any way I can find out more about him? Would the tailors guild have information about him or his apprenticeship?
I would love to know what sort of clothes he made, but I guess there is no way of finding this out. I have contacted the Masonic Lodge and hope they can give me more information about him.
I love genealogy but for every detail I uncover I find more questions I want answering.
Thanks for reading.
Diane x

Hugh Thompson
27-03-2009, 11:12 PM
HI Diane, you might find something here at The Merchant Taylors' Company of London.
Hugh.:)

http://www.merchant-taylors.co.uk/

Mutley
28-03-2009, 1:37 AM
Thank you so much Finbar, I had totally forgotten about Google Books and have just found 124 references to one of my ancestors.

You have made my day.

I just have to figure how to print out the page that refers because I certainly cannot afford to buy all the books and Portuguese Libraries do not stock them.

But thanks again.

Sorry to hijack your thread Diane. ;)

Mutley
28-03-2009, 1:55 AM
Hi Mutley.

Use the 'camera' tool to cut and paste the areas of text you want to print. ;)

(Apologies from me as well Diane.)

Oh Diane, I am ever so sorry to be interrupting. ;)

Finbar, it is not letting me do it :(
I will try again tomorrow and if I cannot do it, I'll start a new thread as it may be useful to other members to learn how. It'll have to be tomorrow because if I start mucking about with 124 books tonight then I will still be here tomorrow. :)

Hugh Thompson
28-03-2009, 2:49 AM
You can just Print Screen the page and paste it to a word pad, that's what I do then you have the page in it's original form.
Hugh.:)

peejayess
28-03-2009, 7:48 AM
Thanks for the tip about Google Books - I never new this interesting resource existed.

Regards

Pete

dreynoldsuk
28-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Diane - this (http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/cgi-bin/ilej/image1.pl?item=page&seq=2&size=1&id=nq.1868.10.3.2.40.x.320) link will take you to an old article in 'Notes and Queries' magazine, regarding a William Goring - William IV And The Tailor. Could there be any connection with 'your' William?

Hi Finbar,
how interesting. Especially when my William Goring was born in Chertsey! I wonder if that was his father or grandfather? I need to visit Chertsey at some time I think.
Many thanks.
Diane x

dreynoldsuk
28-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Hi Finbar,
the mention in the Poll Book is certainly him, but what exactly is a poll book and what can we learn from it?
Sorry to bother you.
(By the way I don't mind anyone getting involved with my threads - if it helps that's fine by me :D)
Diane x

dreynoldsuk
28-03-2009, 3:14 PM
Hi Finbar,
what was the state of play regarding voting at that time? Did all adult males have the right to vote?
Thanks.
Diane x

Peter Goodey
28-03-2009, 4:00 PM
what was the state of play regarding voting at that time?

After the 1832 Reform Act, about one in seven adult males were able to vote. That's an average - it wouldn't be spread evenly around the country.

Did all adult males have the right to vote?

Not until the 1918 Act.

dreynoldsuk
28-03-2009, 6:54 PM
Many thanks for your replies. I love building up a picture of what life was like for my family members.
Diane x

Spangle
05-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Sorry to butt in but I too have a tailor ancestor from around the same time and area. Mine had businesses in both Clifford Street, just off Savile Row, and in Dublin, but it is thought that he was a German. I have found plenty of references to him regarding his Sackville Street, Dublin, address but few for Clifford Street in London and he is not on the Poll register which Finbar kindly supplied.

So, a quick question if you will forgive me please - would a foreigner be able to vote circa 1830-40? Thanks!

Spangle
05-04-2009, 1:11 AM
Thank you Finbar... you're a star! |hug|