PDA

View Full Version : surnames NORMAN and TITTERTON

lesnrmn
27-03-2009, 5:23 PM
I'm trying to solve a mystery.
My great grandfather JOHN NORMAN born1843 married SARAH TITTERTON born1845.in NOTTINGHAM
My great great grandfather WILLIAM NORMAN born1811 married SARAH TITTERTON born1818.in NOTTINGHAM.
Intriguing little mystery.
Can anyone solve it.
Les Norman

janbooth
28-03-2009, 4:13 PM
According to the 1841 census, John NORMAN born c1843 is the son of William NORMAN born c1812 and Sarah TITTERTON born c1814, both in Nottingham.
There is a baptism for a Sarah TITTERTON at Nottingham St Mary (from Notts FHS Baptismal Index) on 11 April 1814 daughter John & Mary TITTERTON, Clinton St, Framesmith. William & Sarah were married at Nottingham St Mary on 2 August 1831 (Notts FHS Marriage Index). John TITTERTON married a Mary JOHNSON on 12 August 1801 at Nottingham St Mary (Notts FHS Marriage Index). Neither John nor Mary appear on the 1841 census. There is a burial record of a Mary TITTERTON on 21 January 1838 at Nottingham St Mary, aged 56, of Clinton Street and also one on 30 July 1832 at Nottingham St Mary of a John TITTERTON, aged 55 of Freeman Street who could perhaps be the above John. Looking at the baptisms of the other children to John & Mary - George, Joseph, William, Mary, Ann, John, Samuel (Clinton St) but the youngest one Eliza baptised in 1826 is shown to be of Freeman Street. This makes John born c1777.

Sarah TITTERTON born c1845 appears to be the daughter of William TITTERTON, Widower, Shipwright, who are living at West Stockwith, Notts in the 1851 census. William was baptised at Misterton on 27 July 1809, the son of William & Susannah TITTERTON, of Stockwith, Shipbuilder. He had 7 siblings Mary, Ann, John, Samuel, George, Hester and another Mary who must have died. William snr married Susannah CLARKE at Misterton on 17 January 1809 and William jnr appears to have married a Sarah c1832 as they are at West Stockwith in the 1841 census with children George aged 8 and Ann aged 5, Sarah not born in the county of Notts. There is an extracted marriage on the IGI of a William TITTERTON and a Sarah THOMPSON on 31 May 1832 at Gainsborough, Lincolnshire which sounds likely.

So, I think it is just coincidence that the NORMAN father & son both married a Sarah TITTERTON - they may well have been connected further back, but that would take a lot more research.

HTH

Janet

janbooth
28-03-2009, 4:20 PM
Looking further back - and it could just be coincidence - there is a John TITTERTON baptised 4 February 1772 at Misterton, the son of Samuel & Alice and they had a son William baptised 22 November 1769. So perhaps there is a connection after all.

Janet

lesnrmn
29-03-2009, 8:06 AM
Thanks Janet for a sterling job.
Just got to get it straight in my head now.
Could mean a bit of editing in my family tree now.
Once again many thank's Les Norman