PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk Parish Registers - Marriages on CD from Archive CD Books

Rod Neep
22-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Norfolk Parish Registers - Marriages (http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=listlinkeditems&cat=D10705&supplier=&breadcrumb=Parish+Registers%3ANorfolk%3AParish+Reg isters+listed+by+Supplier:Archive+CD+Books+Ltd)

ARCHIVE CD BOOKS PARISH REGISTER SERIES

All 12 volumes of the Phillimore's marriages transcripts, making up the county set. (Phillimore's did not have access to the registers in all parishes when making the transcripts.

The transcriptions for each parish contain all of the entries from the first available preserved register (usually in the 1500s and as early as 1538) up to either 1812 or in many cases, 1837.

Just 150 copies of each volume were printed. These are very rare and sought-after books of incredible value to the family historian.

These volumes of transcripts of marriage registers are absolutely invaluable to the family historian. And, we want to make them accessible to you at the lowest possible price.

One of the most useful resources for family historians are the parish registers!

For more details, see here (http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=listlinkeditems&cat=D10705&supplier=&breadcrumb=Parish+Registers%3ANorfolk%3AParish+Reg isters+listed+by+Supplier:Archive+CD+Books+Ltd)

Geoffers
23-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Wot a gud ol' bor yew are - I've just ordered my copy, I hope the kids don't realise I used their pocket money :o

Geoffers

Ron Leech
24-02-2005, 8:31 AM
Hi Rod

Are there any possibilities for the Parishes not listed? All of my lot were in Norwich or Heigham.

Looks like a marvellous work though.

Rod Neep
24-02-2005, 9:24 AM
The transcriptions were done in the late 1800s and early 1900s, and Phillimore's transcribers were not given access to all parishes (most though). Therefore some were simply not included in the published books at the time. (The full list of those included is on the web site).

For any others, we would have to rely on locating any private publications.

Regards
Rod

Brian
24-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Many thanks for publishing these Rod, I had been eyeing them for some time on another publishers list wondering why you had not yet produced them, needless to say they were more expensive and probably done on a scanner of lesser quality, although I do not know that for a fact of course but I expect technology has moved on since they first bought them out. I had seen them at the Norwich Record Office - now The Archive Centre in a well used state and am really glad to have been able to order the CDs for easy access at home. Well done and, as I used to say to my class, you can have a pat on the back. I look forward to their arrival.

Brian

Geoffers
24-02-2005, 10:15 AM
Hi Rod
Are there any possibilities for the Parishes not listed? All of my lot were in Norwich or Heigham. Looks like a marvellous work though.
Hello Ron.
Norfolk is quite a trot from Berkshire so I appreciate that you may not want to travel all that way for a blind search.

A good alternative, which is a lot closer is the Society of Genealogists in London. You don't have to be a member. You can pay to use the library on an hourly/daily basis. They have indexed transcripts of most Norwich registers. If you get an early train and allow for it being an hour late (oops, sorry, slightly bitter comment there ;) ) you should be able to either get a few leads or at the very least carry out some negative searches and thus narrow down where you need to look.

Geoffers

Ron Leech
24-02-2005, 4:49 PM
A good alternative, which is a lot closer is the Society of Genealogists in London. You don't have to be a member. You can pay to use the library on an hourly/daily basis. They have indexed transcripts of most Norwich registers.
Geoffers
I had been considering paying them a visit for quite some time so your suggestion will be taken up in the very near future.

Many thanks

Ron