PDA

View Full Version : Pole Moor Baptist Chapel, Huddersfield

lynnegreen05
24-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Hi there,
If anyone finds their ancestors were buried in the above graveyard please let me know . I live at the converted chapel and have quite a bit of information that I would be happy to share with anyone who has relatives who are my "neighbours".
Regards
Lynne:)

forthurst
06-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Hi Lynne

Do you have any information concerning the Crypt of the old chapel, please

lynnegreen05
07-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Hi Lynne

Do you have any information concerning the Crypt of the old chapel, please

Hello Forthurst
I wonder if you might explain further, which name are you specifically seeking. The OLD chapel is now a converted cottage the New Chapel is the one I live in built in the 1850s and converted in to 6 apartments. So the Crypt may apply to either?
Thanks
Lynne

forthurst
07-10-2010, 2:18 PM
Hi Lynne
I just meant the ex-chapel. I believe some of my relatives up to about 1950 may have been interred there. My great grandfather had owned a farm there, now bisected by the M62, and my understanding was that there was a family vault in the crypt in the name of Gartside. I imagine it was in the newer building because the old building no longer had an ecclasiatical function after 1859 (guess) and I don't think my family was well established in the area before then. I would be most grateful for any information you could supply.
John G

forthurst
10-11-2010, 8:08 PM
Hi there,
If anyone finds their ancestors were buried in the above graveyard please let me know . I live at the converted chapel and have quite a bit of information that I would be happy to share with anyone who has relatives who are my "neighbours".
Regards
Lynne:)

I have not had a reply from you so I will start again from the beginning. All I was told by my father was that some of his relations had been interred in the Crypt at Pole Moor. I have never been there and only discovered recently that the Chapel had been converted into dwelling houses. I did not know that there were two buildings. Perhaps you can answer this: were there two or one Crypts in the original buildings and to what purpose are they now put?

lynnegreen05
13-11-2010, 9:50 AM
Hi Lynne
I just meant the ex-chapel. I believe some of my relatives up to about 1950 may have been interred there. My great grandfather had owned a farm there, now bisected by the M62, and my understanding was that there was a family vault in the crypt in the name of Gartside. I imagine it was in the newer building because the old building no longer had an ecclasiatical function after 1859 (guess) and I don't think my family was well established in the area before then. I would be most grateful for any information you could supply.
John G

Hi John
Somehow I it would appear I have sent the message to another contact in error - apologies that you have not had my earlier reply.
To my knowledge there are no Crypts inside the chapel - but that is not say that there isn't one in the graveyard - but Ihave not seen one - I will get out and have a look this weekend if I can - but it is so wild and windy up here at the moment that it is hard to stand up straight. Will try and work out how I send a picture via this site and will send you a picture of chapel in the meantime.
Thanks
Lynne

lynnegreen05
13-11-2010, 5:18 PM
Hi John G
We have been for a walk with the dogs and think we have found your Gartside "crypt" - there is a large memorial headstone to the Gartside family with some "Brook" surnames on it also - it is in the graveyard across from the chapel - could this be them? Dates were quiete recent 1944 and 1954 for 2x James Gartside and a Martha Garstide 1963 - are these yours - I have photographed it for you, if you send me a personal message with your email address I will send it yo you.
Regards
Lynne

Chris Doran
14-11-2010, 1:25 AM
If you really want to go to town, you could put all your neighbours on the Find a Grave website. Commercial content, so I can't post the URL, but a web search will find it.

Wabbahead
10-12-2013, 10:23 PM
From what I have found, I have some ancestors buried at Pole Moor Chapel. I have a James Crowther buried there in 1851. I believe that his wife may have been buried there sometime up to 15 years earlier. I'm not sure about that. Her name was Mary. Any info?

Thanks!

lynnegreen05
11-12-2013, 9:12 AM
Hi
Nice to hear from you.
Will do some research and get back to you.
Pretty bleak here at the moment 3 degrees and foggy..on this hill top.
Send me your email address and I will send you a picture of the chapel.
Seasons greetings
Lynne
Huddersfield. West Yorkshire

Steve Broadbent
08-07-2023, 12:20 PM
Hi Lynne. I don't know if you're still there, it's been a while since your last post, but I'm planning a visit to Pole Moor shortly and would be glad of some guidance on the gravestones of my ancestors who are buried there.

Pam Downes
08-07-2023, 5:44 PM
Hello Steve,

Welcome to British-Genealogy. :smile5:

Unfortunately you've found an old thread and Lynne is no longer a member of the forum, as denoted by the word 'guest' underneath her name. We do not retain any contact details for ex-members so are unable to alert Lynne to your message.

It would seem there are two graveyards, opposite each other, and certainly the one across the road from the chapel would seem to be in need of a flock of sheep to cut the grass if it's anything like the 2019 image shown on google maps.
The one attached to the former Baptist Chapel appears to now be private property, (and therefore less unkempt) though perhaps if you knocked on the door the owner might let you wander round. Or you could try writing to the unknown owners who live in the chapel (now divided unto six flats) before your visit.

At a guess Huddersfield Archives might hold records pertaining to the chapel/graveyard. Do an internet search for Huddersfield Archives and then sort out the hits. :smile5: Note that there might be restricted opening hours at Archive/library offices.

almach
08-07-2023, 10:38 PM
I'm planning a visit to Pole Moor shortly and would be glad of some guidance on the gravestones of my ancestors who are buried there.

This site may be of help in your search.

https://www.laundsinnmuseum.co.uk/scambaptisms_NEW_Polemoormain.html

https://www.laundsinnmuseum.co.uk/index.html

https://www.laundsinnmuseum.co.uk/polemoorchapbapt.html

Robert Broadbent who transcribed the records has published his email address on the site and offers to help with grave locations etc.

Pole Moor graveyard Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/polemoorgraveyard/

Pam Downes
08-07-2023, 11:17 PM
Crikey, Alma, what a difference a short back and sides makes in a graveyard. :smile5:
The photos on the Facebook page make it hardly look like the same place compared to the 2019 google maps image, but it obviously is because in the photos you can see the old chapel across the road.

|bowdown| for your searching skills and finding those links.

almach
08-07-2023, 11:54 PM
The photos on the Facebook page make it hardly look like the same place compared to the 2019 google maps image, but it obviously is because in the photos you can see the old chapel across the road.

Yes, Pam, hasn't the guy done a wonderful job; he saved the graveyard from closure a health and safety notice had been issued on the yard for closure until the chap saved it.

Steve Broadbent
17-07-2023, 8:17 AM
Hi Pam, thanks for replying so helpfully. I realised it was a long shot with Lynne with the posts being so old, so thanks for picking it up. The graveyard across the road is actually owned by my cousin Robert, and I think he's been doing a lot of work to tidy it up recently, so it is hopefully looking better now than it did in 2019. However he's not connected with the old graveyard next to the chapel. I will be visiting the area next month and will as you suggest knock on a door or two to ask if we can have a look around. In the meantime I'll check out Huddersfield Archives.
Many thanks.
Steve

Steve Broadbent
17-07-2023, 8:21 AM
Thanks Alma. Robert is my cousin and I have visited the museum, but I am keen to pursue my own independent enquiries. Thanks for responding however.
Steve