PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Public House in Hertford

Norma Hudson
24-03-2009, 6:50 PM
My Grandfathers sister Edith Chapman married Charles Edward Bell they were publican`s on the 1911 cencus

The Address was The Brittmia Public House
Mill Bridge, Hertford

Can anyone tell me where that was in Hertford?

Jan1954
24-03-2009, 7:00 PM
It is mentioned on the Historical Herts Pubs (http://hertspubs.com/HertsPubs/Hertford/BritanniaBar.shtml) website and some photographs of Mill Bridge can be seen here (http://www.hertford.net/history/mill_bridge.asp). :)

The road still exists and can be found using Multimap or other such map websites.

Norma Hudson
25-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Hi Jan1954,

Thanks for your help, I see the name was Britannia Bar Public House, and I realise where it was now, I lived in Hoddesdon and Ware many years ago so remember that part of Hertford.
I wish there was a picture of the place though!

Thanks again
Norma

LancsLass
25-03-2009, 2:55 PM
Hi Norma

I was brought up in Hertford by my memory only goes to the 1970s. Anyway there is still a pub on Mill Bridge (the Woolpack I think) which has certainly been there all my life. It is right on the bridge on the opposite side to the Castle Hall. That might possibly be the same pub although the travel agent (whcih I recall as being next door) has a postal address of 12-14 Millbridge.

I've tried to work out the numbering for Mill Bridge but the street mapping gives out numbers of shops which I have checked and now have postal addresses in the adjoining street - The Wash. I suspect the street numbering may have been changed since 1911 as there are now very few properties with Mill Bridge in their postal address.

Bearing in mind the library is 100 yrds round the corner why not give them ring and see if there is a friendly person with a long memory.

Are there any other pubs in Mill Bridge in the census?

Sarah

Norma Hudson
26-03-2009, 1:46 PM
Hi Sarah,
My mother thinks it may have been the Woolpack, but as you say it may have been on the other side of the road, I will get my mother to look into it as she lives in Hoddesdon.

I couldn`t really find out on the cencus if there were any other pubs on Mill Bridge.

Thanks for your help and interest.

Norma

petercornish
17-04-2009, 7:54 PM
Hi Norma,

The 1912 Kellys gives the address as 4 Mill Bridge, Hertford.

Regards ... Peter

Norma Hudson
18-04-2009, 2:26 PM
Hi Norma,

The 1912 Kellys gives the address as 4 Mill Bridge, Hertford.

Regards ... Peter
Hi Peter,

Thanks for that, it helps a great deal.

Norma

petercornish
18-04-2009, 5:25 PM
HiNorma,

I checked my edition of the 1861 census and the Brittania is shewn in Mill Bridge with The Woolpack in Old Cross, the next entry after Mill Bridge. (Ref.RG9/824 F7/8 and F8/9)

So it seems there were two pubs.

Norma Hudson
19-04-2009, 2:45 PM
HiNorma,

I checked my edition of the 1861 census and the Brittania is shewn in Mill Bridge with The Woolpack in Old Cross, the next entry after Mill Bridge. (Ref.RG9/824 F7/8 and F8/9)

So it seems there were two pubs.
Hi Peter
There were loads of pubs in those days!
My grandad`s sister was publican with her husband in 1911 of the Britannia, 4 Mill Bridge.
I never met them as my grandad didn`t marry until he was 40, by the time I came along there was only him around.