PDA

View Full Version : LYON family in Nottingham

imogen
23-03-2009, 6:48 PM
Has anyone got any information about this family ? (trying to find out where they came from) I'm thinking about those who petitioned for a Jewish burial site in Nottingham early in the nineteenth century. I have a Lyon Asher in my family tree, who, according to the 1851 census, emigrated from Germany to Nottingham sometime between 1786 & 1821 & I was wondering if he was from the same area/related to them

janbooth
24-03-2009, 5:37 PM
There are this baptism on the Notts FHS Baptismal Index which might help to tie down when your Lyon arrived in Nottingham:

13 Nov 1822 at Nottingham St Mary Joseph ASHER son Lyon & Elizabeth, Newcastle St, Hawker

Interestingly, there is also another baptism at Nottingham St Mary on 22 January 1818 of a Samuel Lyon ASHER, son William & Elizabeth, Newcastle St, Hawker.

The 1841 census varies slightly from the 1851 in that it states that Betsey was born in Nottinghamshire not Northants, and that of the children, Joseph was born in Notts, but that Rosa, Abraham, Jacob & Reuben were not, which would explain why there is ony the baptism for Joseph on the baptismal disc.

There is a burial record for Lyon ASHER at Nottingham St Mary on 16 August 1860, aged 70, of Newcastle Court and a burial for an Elizabeth ASHER at Nottingham St Mary on 4 February 1869, aged 79, of Newcastle Street.

HTH

Janet

imogen
25-03-2009, 1:03 PM
Wow ! Thanks very much, Janet. I am assuming that Samuel Lyon Asher was Lyon Asher's nephew & that Lyon & his brother (Samuel's father) arrived in Nottingham together, but, obviously I can't be 100% certain. There was also a Joseph Asher, born c 1797, living just round the corner from Lyon on the 1851 census, & I assumed that he was another brother, but I've since discovered that he was supposed to have been born in Pakington, Leicestershire, so I'm trying to find out more there....was he from a branch of the same family that had settled in England at an earlier date: did Lyon & (presumably) his brother adopt his surname because it was close to their own/he was a good friend or is it just coincidence ?

Is there any more detail for Betsy's place of birth in Nottinghamshire ? The 1851 census is quite specific in naming Titchmarsh as the village & I was thinking that she may have returned to her family there for the births of all the children other than Joseph, which would explain the rest. Does it say where the other children were born ?

Another point about Northamptonshire is that a James Asher/Hasser (& the Hasser makes me wonder if there is a German connection) married Elizabeth Gamble of Rushden, Northamptonshire at Clipston, Northamptonshire in 1821. Asher was a relatively rare surname outside of Scotland till the mid/late nineteenth century (or so I've read...now Notts & (even more so) Leics are the only counties where it constitutes 5% or more of the surnames)...probably a local Asher & nothing to do with Lyon, but you never know

The gg grandaughter of Samuel Lyon Asher lives in Australia & has an excellent website on Ancestry & is also registered on a Jewish genealogical website as wishing to trace relatives. I've written to & emailed addresses given there, but, so far without success. What I did learn from her was that Samuel was transported to Australia for theft. He was part of a gang that went round stealing clothes etc from people's gardens when their backs were turned & was arrested for stealing someone's coat from Nottingham Castle gardens.

Sorry.....rambling.

Thanks so much