PDA

View Full Version : William MACKENZIE arriving in Canada

sally
23-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks to information from Adele I now know from the 1916 Manitoba census that William arrived in Canada in 1906.

I have been on Findmypast to see if I can find him leaving the UK but cannot find a Willam MACKENZIE/MCKENZIE or varient born in Scotland c1876 who was single and a Baker at that time.

If anyone can find him on a manifest arriving in Canada (probably heading for Winnipeg) and can let me know the details I can try to find him leaving the UK.

Regards
Sally

Mary Anne
23-03-2009, 5:00 PM
sally

The only one I can find that has the dates right, and the final destination, is this one... but it give his occupation as "General Labourer"

Wm MacKenzie
born: abt 1876
Arrival: 19 Jun 1906
Ship:
Corinthian
Port of arrival: Montreal, Quebec
Port of departure: Glasgow, Scotland
Destination: Winnipeg

Mary Anne

sally
24-03-2009, 9:41 AM
Thank you for looking Mary Ann, seems this chap's sailing will have to go into a folder to look at again in the future. I tried putting the details in that you gave me on Findmypast but the only Wm that came up was a Railwayman.:rolleyes:

Regards
Sally

Mary Anne
24-03-2009, 12:36 PM
He could have gone through the US. That's the only other thing I can think of.

giveover
24-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Hi Sally,

I hope this hasn't been mentioned earlier.

1906 census for Manitoba

came to Canada from Scotland
William 30 1906
Hugh 22 1900 or 1906 I cannot tell for sure
John 20 1906

Most of the William McKenzies arriving from Scotland seem to be as Labourers.
This census was taken on July 5th 1906 and they are all boarders at the same address.

Best wishes
Anne

sally
24-03-2009, 5:23 PM
Thank you Anne, I hadn't realised there was a 1906 census taken. I just wish I had come back to the forum earlier & read your posting as it may have saved me rechecking all the info I have on William.

I actually came back to the forum to tell Mary Anne that she had found the right William. I had wrongly assumed that as William was a baker when he married two years later, and had read that an apprenticeship was 7 yrs, that he would be on the manifest as a baker. Thanks to the ship info Mary Anne gave me earlier I found the manifest on Library & Archives Canada from her details and saw that John A. and Hugh were also on the same page. Both of these were William's brothers and the ages were correct but the thing that clinched it for me was that it gives William's birthplace as Sutherland & the brothers as Caithness which is exactly what it should be.

Although this manifest has all 3 as labourers on the journey into Canada it only has Hugh as a labourer the other 2 as Rly Man on the one leaving the UK.

Thank you both for your help, I will now spend some time trying to find his mother & other brothers leaving the UK at various times through the Library & Archives Canada site. If I can't find them perhaps I will put a new posting in the hope that someone will help me with another query.

Regards
Sally

Mary Anne
24-03-2009, 8:22 PM
sally

You're very welcome! Glad to help. Good thinking on your part going to the original, I hadn't thought of suggesting that, but of course you would get far more information from it than from the transcribed index. I mean, i did look at the page, but I didn't know about his brothers... ;) Just goes to prove the adage that you should see for yourself!

Sorry, I discounted the 1906 census because I thought he would have arrived too late for it, forgetting it was actually taken quite late.

I'm not sure why so many men seem to be down as labourers when they often seem to have other trades. Maybe the advertising for immigration stressed certain jobs as being available? or they wanted a change?

Mary Anne