PDA

View Full Version : STOCKS in Bicester and Thame

Debbie Bozkurt
21-03-2009, 2:48 PM
Apologies very long winded!|oopsredfa

I have a family of Stock’s born around Colmworth Bedfordshire between 1756 and mid 1770s. I have either traced the death or the family of all bar 2. The family have quite distinct names, Stephen, Simon, Emanuel, with normally a Samuel, Charles and Thomas as one of the sons.

I have found a Stephen Stock married to two Catherine around the Eaton Socon area with 6 known baptised children:
Thomas Stock 30 Jul 1896; William Stock 26 Apr 1789; Thomas Stock 4 Aug 1804; Kitty Stock 12th May 1805, Charles Stock 10 Aug 1806 and John Stock 30 Oct 1808. It is worth noting that the years 1801 to 1802 are missing.

I could not find any trace of these children in later years (both Stephen and Catherine died 1828 Eaton Socon) then I got a break through after searching for Simons and Stephens and Emanuels in the hope that later families may have used these names. I found in both Bicester and Thame Oxfordshire various Stock’s born in Bedfordshire. I have a Simon Stock born about 1804 Wyboston or St Neots (next door to Eaton Socon) a china dealer living in Bicester married to Ann with children named Charles, Simon and Emanuel. In 1841 in Thame there were a Thomas Stock and Charles Stock (ages a few years adrift) single. In 1851 Charles is married to Mary the Bedfordshire birth place quoted is not recognisable on a os Map, a China Dealer, living in Thame Oxfordshire. Where it gets interesting is I found an Ellen Stock born in Bicester living in Eaton Socon married but no husband but son Stephen. Found a birth of an Ellen Stock (jnr) father Thomas Stock. Then found a Thomas Stock transported in 1851 for various things born and living Wyboston, which is why not on 1851 census.

To me its obvious these Stocks belong to the family I am researching but I am not sure where, I think they could be the Children of Stephen and Catherine, given the area of birth, though years do not quite tie in but I have also lost Samuel Stock born 1772 Colmworth and Simon Stock born 1769 Colmworth so they could be the children of either those two.

The only marriage Index I can find is Charles Stock, Thame in 1849 but can not find either Simon’s or Thomas Index or any three of the parish records which would give me their father’s name. They may not even be brothers. I can not find Bicester of Thame parish records on line, does anyone have access to these or can even find me the Index for the other two.
I also found in 1841 a Joseph Stock journey man living in Thame Oxfordshire but not born in the County, can not trace him after that.

Would really appreciate any help or thoughts or even contact from others researching this family|help|

Regards Debs

Geoffers
21-03-2009, 3:08 PM
I can not find Bicester of Thame parish records on line, does anyone have access to these or can even find me the Index for the other two.

Oxfordshire FHS has produced a lot of register transcripts, it may be worth checking their web-site to see if it includes Bicester and Thame.

birdlip
22-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Hi there,

I think this is a possibility for Thomas and Ellen's marriage;

Sep 1843 STOCKS Thomas Banbury 16 45
(and on the same page Ellen GEORGE)

and this looks like another child for them, on IGI;

Ellen STOCK b 15 Jul 1848, ch 10 sep 1848 Eaton Scoon, Beds, parents Thomas STOCK and Ellen

janbooth
22-03-2009, 11:47 AM
There is this Charles STOCK in the 1851 census of New Thame as you have found:

HO107/1726, folio 255, page 8
High Street

Charles STOCK Head Mar 47 China & Glass Dealer Beds Bibester
Mary Ann do Wife Mar 30 Oxon Thame
Harriet HOWES Daur in law 10 Scholar do do
James DALE Son in law 6 Scholar do do
Thomas STOCK 1 do do

plus this Simon & Ann STOCK in the 1851 census of Bicester (again which you already have):

HO107/1729, folio 405, pages 20/1
Market Place

Simon STOCK Head Mar 47 China & Glass Dealer Bedfords Wybosten
Ann do Wife Mar 40 Oxon Naunton
Charles do Son 10 Scholar do Bicester
Ann do Daur 7 do do
Emma do Daur 5 do do
Simon do Son 3 do do
Emanuel do Son 1 do do
+ 1 servant

There seems to be a definite link between both Charles and Simon STOCK given their occupation and their place of birth - I assume Charles's place of birth was misheard by the Enumerator. If you purchase the marriage certificate of Charles that you found, it will give you his father's name & profession which should confirm his father and similarly with the marriage certificate of Thomas which birdlip found for you. There seems to be a link with Wyboston in all three cases The Eaton Socon parish registers are available in two parts in the Bedfordshire Parish register series on 7 microfiche and Oxfordshire FHS have the parish registers of Bicester (BIC02) and Thame (TH01) available to purchase online. There are also the baptisms on Hugh Wallis's IGI site of a Charles STOCK (10 Aug 1806) & a Thomas STOCK (4 August 1804) father Stephen mother.

HTH

Janet

Debbie Bozkurt
23-03-2009, 7:34 AM
Thanks all, I too found out that am nearly certain that all three were brothers and that their father was Stephen Stock and Catherine. I have the Eaton Socon Parish records but 1801 and 1802 are missing (think thats the dates) and therefore Simon could have been born in that period and therefore missed any transcription.

They are only distantly related so wanted to afford the cost of getting marriage certificates but its annoying me so 1st going to ring Oxfordshire Records Office and see if the cost of them looking up the parish records would be more than a couple of certificates. The Transciptions only go up to 1837 at the FHS.

I wish I could find the marriage of Sim(e)on Stock to Ann, I was hoping as there 1st born son was born in 1840 they never married until after Sep 1837 but can not find the index under any spelling.

On a different note if you have reasonable unusual first names for the era you sometimes strike lucky searching all records under that name, thats how I found this oxfordshire family.... Though Simon Stock is also a saint who numerous churches and schools are named after |jumphappy

Regards

Debs

Sandyhall
23-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Hi

Just seen your post can you wait until Weds, I might be able to save you some money.
On a Weds & Friday at my local library in Banbury a guy comes in from Oxfordshire Historical Society He has loads of info so I can go and find out for you.
Its no problem as I have a free bus pass.

Regards Sandy

Debbie Bozkurt
23-03-2009, 5:30 PM
Sandy

That would be most kind and yes it can wait and I hope I can return the kindness one day.

To reiterate:

Charles Stock married Mary Dale 1849 Thame - would be looking for fathers name and occupation and any witnesses

Thomas Stocks married Ellen George 1843 Banbury - would be looking for fathers name and occupation and any witness

Sim(e)on Stock married an Ann - they lived in Bicester in 1841 with son only six months old, Ann was from Launton according to all other census. I had hoped they had married after Sep 1837 so the records would have the fathers name and witness part can not find them on Index, unless mis-spelt.

Again Thanks for the kind offer

Regards

Debs

Wendy Archer
24-03-2009, 8:06 AM
Debs -

Charles Stock married Mary Dale 1849 Thame - would be looking for fathers name and occupation and any witnesses

As Janet has said, the parish registers have been transcribed by Oxfordshire Family History Society.

8 Sep 1849
STOCK Charles X, 45, bach, otp, hawker, s Stephen, lab
DALE Mary X, 30, sp, otp, servant, d John, lab
Wit: Thomas HOWES, Anabella SHRIMPTON

Thomas Stocks married Ellen George 1843 Banbury - would be looking for fathers name and occupation and any witness

I suspect you mean the Banbury registration district. This includes many parishes - the marriage isn't in Banbury St Mary, looking in the OFHS transcript, so I suggest the marriage certificate is the best way to go.

Sim(e)on Stock married an Ann - they lived in Bicester in 1841 with son only six months old, Ann was from Launton according to all other census. I had hoped they had married after Sep 1837 so the records would have the fathers name and witness part can not find them on Index, unless mis-spelt.

Interesting !!

Looking for STOCK marriages in Bicester (Oxfordshire FHS transcript) gave this one:

6 Aug 1843
STOCKS Thomas X, fa, bach, traveller with earthenware, Market End, s Stephen, lab, not living
GEORGE Ellen X, fa, sp, Market End, d James, lab, not living
Wit: George TOOLEY, Sarah GEORGE X

which is the one you were looking for in Banbury ! Looking at the GRO page numbers, I suspect I can see a possible confusion between Banbury & Bicester registrations.

Moving to the Simon STOCK you were hoping for

Oxfordshire Marriage Index - Husbands [1538-1837]
Search carried out on 24/03/2009 from an Index dated 04/04/2008

Husband Forename From Married at Wife Forename From Year Date
STOCK Simon OX St Mary Mag ROBERTSON Anne 1830 26 Oct

Looking at the marriage of their son Charles in Bicester in 1865, Simon is described as a hawker.

Hope that's helped place your STOCKs.

Wendy

Debbie Bozkurt
09-04-2009, 4:30 PM
Thanks Wendy for all your help, sorry didn't reply sooner but was on holiday but it was just wanted I wanted/needed

Regards

Debbie