PDA

View Full Version : David Solomon in Nottingham

imogen
20-03-2009, 8:16 PM
In a book on the history of the Jews in Nottingham,England, David Solomon is mentioned as a prominent figure., who came over from Eastern Europe..beginning as a hawker & establishing himself as a lace merchant by the 1820s. Does anyone know if any research has been done on him/do we know where he came from? I'm trying to trace my ggg grandfather's roots & he fits into the same mould, arriving later, but soon enough afterwards to make me think he may have come from the same area, heard about David Solomon's success & been inspired by it.

I shall try & contact the author (if they are still alive)

Neil Wilson
20-03-2009, 8:28 PM
Just google'd David Soloman Nottingham and had a 27,100 hits. Take out the garbage and there are a number of mentions for this David. Perhaps your ggg grandfather might be mentioned on one of the sites?

imogen
23-03-2009, 6:53 PM
Thanks very much for your help. May have found something, in that my ggg grandfather was Lyon Asher &, in an article about David Solomon & the Jewish community in Nottingham, it says that a group petitioned for a Jewish burial site in the early nineteenth century....2 of the men had the surname Lyon. As Lyon Asher was supposed to have emigrated from Germany to Nottm sometime between 1786 & 1821, there just might be a connection