PDA

View Full Version : Strange death ?

Essex girl
19-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Good Morning,
I have just received a death certificate of an ancestor stating 'found dead exhaustion from hemorrhage caused by the rupture of a blood vessel of the tongue'. Can anyone shed any light on this please. There was an inquest held but I am aware that not many survive would it have maybe made a paper? He was a police officer at the Mansion House.
Many thanks
Jude

jeeb
19-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Good Morning,
I have just received a death certificate of an ancestor stating 'found dead exhaustion from hemorrhage caused by the rupture of a blood vessel of the tongue'. Can anyone shed any light on this please. There was an inquest held but I am aware that not many survive would it have maybe made a paper? He was a police officer at the Mansion House.
Many thanks
Jude

Hi Jude,
Considering he was a police officer and found dead I would think it highly likely some kind of report would make the papers, possibly the result of the post mortem.

Jeremy

JenniLl
19-03-2009, 6:50 PM
Jude,
You do not give a date of death.

The man may have had a cancer of the tongue / mouth that eventually eroded a blood vessel.

Jenni

Essex girl
20-03-2009, 2:34 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Oops sorry, :)
Date of death 5th December 1884. In the 'signature,description and residence of informant coloumn' it says "Certificate received from John Humphreys coroner for Middlesex". Inquest held 9t December 1884. Would this have any significance ? I have only ever seen family members shown as informants in this coloumn on the other death certificates I have.
Jude

louisa maud
20-03-2009, 7:03 AM
Police records are held at Kew, quite informative and may be worth you while to get in contact or visit Kew.
Also I believe police headquarters in Buckingham Palace Road London also hold police records

Louisa Maud

Peter Goodey
20-03-2009, 9:21 AM
1 Coroners' Records - you need to check whether the report you want has survived. Just because the likelihood is low doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Middlesex records will be a the London Metropolitan Archives.

2 Police Records - Metropolitan Police records are at the National Archives. However you specifically mentioned the Mansion House which suggests to me City of London Police. City of London Police records are not at the National Archives but at the Guildhall Library.