MUMMYG
18-03-2009, 10:11 PM
My ancestors marriage listing found on IGI

James Edmundson
Married Elizabeth Bolton
29 September 1799
St Nicholas,Aberdeen,Scotland

Their first child was born six months before this on 9th Feb 1799,
but only baptised in August 1805 along with his brother William in Newburn,Northumberland.

Originally thought James and Elizabeth where from Newburn as most of his children are listed there and the rest in Durham, maybe not:confused:

Anyway they ended up in South Lancashire,Warrington and thats where I am Now, so......

Could some kind soul possibly confirm this marriage in parish records and see if there is any info re Fathers names or parish of birth?
Or maybe the birth of James would give some proof of these details.

Alternatively point me in the right direction to any access on line to St Nicholas records,

Regards Gill

MUMMYG
19-03-2009, 12:27 PM
If its allowed,I dont know how this works, I would like to

repost this as I think it got missed due to late hour of original posting.

MUMMYG
22-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Managed to find this marriage on Scotlands People so no need for any look ups,just have one question though, can anyone tell me why a marriage would take place in the reverands house? The groom and witnesses where soldiers in the Loyal Mcleod Fencibles regiment.

joette
23-03-2009, 3:37 PM
Are we talking Scotland?It was fairly common up until fairly recently-ie the 1940's for marriages to take place in the Vestry of the Church or the Manse-the Minister's house.
Marriage in the actual Church was looked on as a bit vulgar.A wedding was seen as a simple ceremony.Also as frugal Scots the expense of heating the Church for a wedding would seem extravagant.
If this was also legitimising the children(which under Scots Law it did) then discretion was called for.

MUMMYG
23-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Hi Joette,
Yes I do mean Scotland,Their first child was born in February 1799 and they where married in September same year so you could be right ,the father was a soldier so maybe he was away until they got married.
Very interesting, thank you for the info,dont know anything about how things work in Scotland,always learning in this hobby arent we.