PDA

View Full Version : GRO Regimental Birth Indices

cdnsctgirl
22-02-2005, 8:58 AM
I found what I think is one of my ancestors in the GRO Regimental Birth Indices. I have a year (1854), name (John CARDEN), place (Weymouth), regiment (42nd), volume (91), and page (14). Now what? What documents/books does this information refer to and where are they held?

Thanks,

Sarah

cdnsctgirl
22-02-2005, 7:32 PM
Yes, I know Weymouth isn't overseas... but that caused me some frustration, as I could not find the record in the "regular" BMDs at all!

Thanks for your help. :)

Sarah

Peggy
22-02-2005, 8:10 PM
Pardon me for butting in. . . .

Does anyone know if the GRO records of regimental marriages taking place between 1761 and 1924, not indexed, have been filmed by the LDS? And if they also include "overseas" marriages in the UK that don't appear in the regular BDMs?

Thanks!

Peggy

Pam Downes
04-03-2005, 12:44 AM
Pardon me for butting in. . . .

Does anyone know if the GRO records of regimental marriages taking place between 1761 and 1924, not indexed, have been filmed by the LDS? And if they also include "overseas" marriages in the UK that don't appear in the regular BDMs?

Hi Peggy,

If you mean have the LDS filmed the actual marriage certificates, the answer is probably no. I would have thought that you would have had to apply to the GRO at Southport for the certificate. But if you mean have they filmed the indexes then the answer is yes.
I have the most weird and wonderful way of getting the film numbers, but it works.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
Select 'title search', and then type in 'High Commission returns'.
Click on blue underlined 'Index to British...' etc
Click on blue underlined 'Great Britain civil... 'etc
Then click on the index you want for the film numbers.

By accessing the list in this way you seem to get all the 'odd ones' listed together.

If you want to email the GRO to clarify that only they hold copies of the marriage registers
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/contactus/
(I don't know if it applies to the Overseas Section but I know that if you want to avoid an auto response text you have to enter GQ in the subject field when you contact the ordinary Certificate Services Section.)

Pam Downes

Peggy
04-03-2005, 2:45 AM
Hi Pam,

I was following on from Sarah's post about the birth that wasn't in the BMD index, wondering if the same might apply to a marriage. Whatever page I found with details about Regimental Marriages (it has been a while) said that they, unlike Regimental Births, are NOT indexed. So I wanted to find out if an unindexed list (or something?) has been filmed.

But before seeking them out, I wanted to know if these might include regimental marriages which took place IN ENGLAND, but got classified as "overseas" (as with Weymouth in Sarah's post) and do NOT appear on the regular BMD index. If you see what I mean. :)

Thanks,

Peggy

Pam Downes
04-03-2005, 3:26 AM
Hi Peggy,

After having a read of the help page on 1837 online I now follow your train of thought.
However if you follow my convoluted instructions and then look at item number 14 in the list 'index to certified copies of registers of marriages.....' I don't know if that would be any help at all. It sort of sounds promising, but appears to contradict the info at 1837 online. Weird.

Because you were referring specifically to LDS records in your first message I didn't say in my previous post that 1837 online have the 'odd bits' (that have been indexed :D) in their indexes.

You don't say which years you're talking about - pre 1837 no BMD will be in the GRO Index anyway.
It might be worth an email to the GRO to clarify whether the marriage might be in the overseas records. I'd quote the actual name(s), approximate year, and any other relevant details. You might just strike lucky. :)

Pam Downes

Peggy
04-03-2005, 3:51 AM
Hi Pam,

Ah! That's where I read it. :) 1837 online says: "Overseas department of the General Registry Office also holds additional records of regimental marriages taking place between 1761 and 1924 that have never been indexed. As these additional records have never been indexed, you will not find them on our website." I had long since searched for the marriage on the site with no luck. Maybe it never happened. But I think it did.

I tried your LDS method (neat!) and found "Index to entries in the army regimental registers of births and baptisms, 1761-1924" but no mention of the marriages for the same dates as referenced on 1837online.

My date would have been after the 1851 census & before Mar 1857, likely early in that range. I have only a (common) surname for the groom. :(

Thanks,

Peggy

Pam Downes
04-03-2005, 4:33 AM
Hi Pam,
I tried your LDS method (neat!) and found "Index to entries in the army regimental registers of births and baptisms, 1761-1924" but no mention of the marriages for the same dates as referenced on 1837online.
Peggy

Peggy,

You've been at the sherry again :) The births and baptisms you've quoted are item number 16.
Immediately above you have 'Index to chaplains returns Ionian Islands' and then immediately above that you have
'Index to certified copies of registers of marriages (officers, soldiers & their families ... at stations abroad, 1796-1955 '.
She said, going |blush| :o and :eek:
as she read those last three fatal words before the dates.
(And then re-reading the dates and realising that they differ too. Too busy concentrating on the word 'marriages'.)
Shall I start again?
"Dear Peggy,
The marriages entry to which I was referring is to be found 2 lines above the 'births and baptisms' entry which you found. However upon re-reading this entry I have discovered that it refers to marriages 'at stations abroad', and I therefore fear that the index will be of no particular assistance in your quest.
I remain, Yours faithfully, etc etc"

Pam Downes

Peggy
04-03-2005, 4:46 AM
Dear Pam,

It is rather late - - - or early. ;)

I should have told you that under "Julia's Law" no genealogical issue connected in any way to my G-GM Julia will ever be simple. Even when she didn't arrange to distort or hide the data, fate conspires to do it for her.

|cheers| (but not sherry - - - could you send over some scrumpy? <G>),

Peggy

Geoffers
17-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Whatever page I found with details about Regimental Marriages (it has been a while) said that they, unlike Regimental Births, are NOT indexed.
THat's correct, the marriages are not indexed

But before seeking them out, I wanted to know if these might include regimental marriages which took place IN ENGLAND,
The records to which you refer, 1761-1924 include those in England and abroad HOWEVER - From "Tracing your Ancestors in The Public Record Office" by Amanda Bevan (Public Record Office Handbook No.19, sixth edition) page 187-188:

Section 18a.1
"There are three main series of Army registers of births, marriage and death. Most are not in the PRO. The General Register Office holds the largest number, but some regiments apparently still hold copies. As they have never been analyse as a series (and most are not available for public inspection), we do not know what percentage of Army marriages and births ar covered. The PRO is currently undertaking a survey of all holdings of Army registers, so perhaps the situation will be clarified soon.

continued.......

Geoffers
17-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Section 181.1.1
"All these series of Army registers are kept at the General Register Office of England and Wales. Although you cannot see them, you can buy certificates of the events they include. The registers do sometimes contain extra information which is not included in the certificates as supplied.................Ther is no indexc to marriages in the regimental registers. To find out details of a marriage, you have to know the husband's regiment and a rough date. At the FRC is a list of the marriage registers, arranged by regiment; if your regiment is there, with entries for the right period, ask at the enquiry desk in the FRC to be put in touch with the Overseas Section, which may conduct a search for you."

Geoffers