PDA

View Full Version : Frederick Hurrell HOLBERTON in 1851?

Judy M
22-02-2005, 4:41 AM
I am looking for any record of Frederick Hurrell HOLBERTON born about 1820 (one record gives 28/10/1821) possibly in the Totnes area.

Possible parents are William HOLBERTON & Elizabeth HARRIS.

He emigrated to Qld Australia and settled in Toowoomba.

Any suggestions?

robdurk
22-02-2005, 11:42 AM
Hi Judy

No sign of Frederick, William or Elizabeth in 1851 Devon. In terms of heads of household there is only one HOLBERTON born in Totnes, Edward H who is 36 at the time of the census.. so he may be a sibling.

There's no-one in Somerset or Wiltshire either... do you know when he would have gone to Australia?

Cheers

Rob

Judy M
22-02-2005, 7:46 PM
Many thanks

It is quite possible that he emigrated earlier than I thought!

Frederick's sister Elizabeth Harriis HOLBERTON married Matthew WHITE and had children in Woodland.
William 1843
Elizabeth Alice 1845
Matthew 1847
Mary Ann 1853

Would you mind checking that lot?(not that I'm really expecting to find him in a cupboard there!)

robdurk
23-02-2005, 3:44 PM
Hi Judy

It might be best to try to find when he emigrated (I don't know what's available in that regard) as he might be in the UK in 1851, but elsewhere.. lots of Devon/Somerset people went to 'the city' in the mid 19th century - maybe worth trying South Wales too?

Anyway.

Matthew WHITE & family are in the 1851 for Devon (LDS CD):

Name Relationship Mar Age Sex Occupation Birthplace
Matthew WHITE Head M 50 M Farmer 100 Acres 2 Laborer Woodland-DEV
Elizabeth WHITE Wife M 41 F --- Totnes-DEV
John WHITE Son U 16 M Farmers Son Woodland-DEV
Samuel WHITE Son U 10 M Scholar At Home Woodland-DEV
William WHITE Son U 8 M Scholar At Home Woodland-DEV
Elizabeth WHITE Daur U 6 F Scholar At Home Woodland-DEV
Matthew WHITE Son U 4 M Scholar At Home Woodland-DEV
James Sumpter WHITE Son U 5 M Scholar At Home Woodland-DEV
Elizabeth H. BANFELL Gvns U 26 F Governess Dartmouth-DEV
Richard JOINT Serv U 17 M Ag Labr Ashburton-DEV
Martha BURRIDGE Serv U 13 F Ho Servt Kingsteignton-DEV
Anna MASS Serv U 11 F Ho Servt Kingsteignton-DEV
Address: Woodland Higher Lake, Newton Abbot
Census Place: Woodland Newton Abbot, Devonshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/1871 Folio: 371 Page: 6 FHL Film: 0221019

Hope that's of some use, though cupboards don't seem to have been enumerated...

Rob

Judy M
23-02-2005, 9:07 PM
Rob
Thanks so much for the info re the WHITE family...I'll follow them through the later census.Their daughter Mary Ann b 1853 is my connection.
who later married in Toowoomba Qld.

I'm fairly sure she emigrated to Queensland to join her uncle Frederick HOLBERTON

I found a couple of Directory references (Pigots 1822 & 1830) which have a William HOLBERTON butcher in Totnes who might be my chap.
In 1850 an Edward HOLBERTON is butcher in Totnes who may be a son ???

Thanks again
Judy

dannywh
02-01-2009, 8:51 PM
Elizabeth HOLBERTON(nee HARRIS) married William HOLBERTON. Elizabeth was sister of my paternal 2nd GGrandfather George HARRIS, making her my 2nd GGrandAunt.

Would you like to exchange information? HARRIS/SYMONS/HOLBERTON/TOOP

Regards Danny

Judy M
02-01-2009, 9:25 PM
Danny,
Thanks for the reply
I don't know if I can contribute much but would be happy to let you know what I have. I'd certainly like to fill in some of the gaps in my info of the Harris family about which I know little.
You can contact me at jhmeibusch[at]hotmail.com
Judy

Fiona67
03-01-2009, 5:09 AM
Hi
I found this marriage record in the Qld bdm......unfortunately online doesn't have a place but I will try and find my disc and see if that has more info

1869/C142 Best Sophia Hope Holberton Frederick Hurrell

However he was in Queensland by 1869

Regards
Fiona

Fiona67
03-01-2009, 5:23 AM
It looks like Mr FH Holberton made quite a few trips to Sydney from Brisbane

Mr. F H Holberton Sydney, New South Wales 7 Jan 1868 City Of Brisbane

Mr. F H Holberton Sydney, New South Wales 28 Jun 1869 Florence Irving

Mr. F H Holberton Sydney, New South Wales 11 Nov 1869 City Of Brisbane

F H Holberton Sydney, New South Wales 1 Jul 1880 Elamang

Mr. F H Holberton Sydney, New South Wales 28 Apr 1871 Lady Young

Mr. F H Holberton Sydney, New South Wales 16 Feb 1871 City Of Brisbane

F H Holberton Sydney, New South Wales 19 Mar 1883 Derwent

Mr. F H Holberton Sydney, New South Wales 17 May 1873 City Of Adelaide

Mrs. F H Holberton Sydney, New South Wales 28 Apr 1871 Lady Young

Mr. F H Holberton Sydney, New South Wales 2 Jul 1868 City Of Brisbane

F H Holberton Sydney, New South Wales 28 Nov 1880 Wotonga

Mr. F H Holberton Sydney, New South Wales 27 Jun 1870 City Of Brisbane

Fiona67
03-01-2009, 5:34 AM
Frederick made 3 applications for land selection at Toowoomba between April 1868 and March 1887

Judy M
03-01-2009, 9:50 AM
Many thanks for this information Fiona.It certainly adds to what i have and will give me some leads.
Frederick had a very good drapery business in Toowoomba so his frequent trips to Sydney do not surprise me.
He also had sisters in Melbourne.
I wonder how he met Sophie? who was from NSW

Fiona67
04-01-2009, 2:42 AM
Maybe he met her on one of his trips south......

Fiona67
04-01-2009, 2:58 AM
NSW bdm # V1836630 20/1836 BEST SOPHIA THOMAS MARY

Another site lists her born in Dural which is in Sydney. That makes her about 33 when they married so in theory she probably had a job (even in those days).....maybe she worked in a draper's shop and he was a supplier.

Fiona67
04-01-2009, 3:06 AM
Directors of the Association of the first board for the Toowoomba Gas and Coke
> Company:
>
> Frederick Hurrell HOLBERTON, Toowoomba, Storekeeper, 100 shares
> Josiah BOOTH, Toowoomba, storekeeper, 50 shares
> John Poole McLEISH, Toowoomba, storekeeper, 50 shares
> Robert FILSHIE, Toowoomba, Plumber, 100 shares
> James Watts GRIMES, Toowoomba, Stock & Station agent, 100 shares
> James Thorneloe SMITH, Civil engineer, Toowoomba, 100 shares
> John GARGET, Builder, Toowoomba, 100 shares
> Patrick PERKINS, Brewer, Toowoomba, 100 shares
> Edwin Woodward ROBINSON, Toowoomba, agent, 100 shares
> Charles CAMPBELL, Toowoomba, Butcher, 50 shares
> Richard GODSALL, Builder, Toowoomba, 100 shares
> James CAMPBELL, Butcher, Toowoomba 50 shares
> Total Shares 1000 shares
> Dated this eighteenth day of April in the year of our Lord, one thousand
> eight hundred and seventy eight.

Ascot House, a single-storey timber residence with an attached two-storeyed timber extension, referred to as a folly, has been called the largest and most extensive of the grand Toowoomba residences. While the exact construction date is unknown, Ascot was possibly built in the 1870s as a private residence for Frederick Hurrell Holberton, a Toowoomba storekeeper and later Member of the Legislative Council. The architect of Ascot house remains unknown. When built, the house stood on about 32 acres of land near the Toowoomba racecourse. The grounds of Ascot contained a glasshouse, stables, croquet greens, tennis courts and extensive gardens, which included trees and shrubs bought from overseas.

Holberton sold the property to William Beit Jnr in 1894.

Fiona67
04-01-2009, 3:12 AM
There was an article in The Chronicle about Ascot House

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/story/2006/07/03/apn-guests-get-insight-into-histori/

Fiona

Fiona67
04-01-2009, 3:22 AM
Looks like Sophie had a nephew in Toowoomba. William Hodgen was an architect who designed their next house "Tor".

"Tor is significant for its association with William Hodgen, a prominent Toowoomba architect, who designed the residence for his Aunt, Sophia Hope Holberton, wife of Frederick Hurrell Holberton. William Hodgen was the founder of a Toowoomba architectural firm which continues to the present.

Tor, a single storey timber residence, was constructed in 1904 for Mrs Frederick Hurrell Holberton. The residence was designed by Toowoomba architect, William Hodgen, Mrs Holberton's nephew and built by John Sweeney."

BevMc
02-08-2009, 8:18 AM
I am looking for any record of Frederick Hurrell HOLBERTON born about 1820 (one record gives 28/10/1821) possibly in the Totnes area.

Possible parents are William HOLBERTON & Elizabeth HARRIS.

He emigrated to Qld Australia and settled in Toowoomba.

Any suggestions?

Hello Judy,
Received quite a lot of information from a relative some years ago from a lady in America researching the family. She identified three branches of the family
"1. HOLBERTON OF TORRE, Newton Ferrers, Devon - the Land Grant of c1285-90 to John Holbeton. Torr House finally sold in 1959. All lines from 1578 to present have been verified. Descendants living in England, United States and Australia.
2. NICHOLAS and ELIZABETH (Hurrell) HOLBERTON (m.1737) Totnes, Devon.
Descendants living in England and Australia. (Hope this may be of help).
3. HOLBERTON of Revelstoke and Plymstock. Descedndants living in England, Canada and Australia. " (This is the line I am interested in). This is also the line that Mrs. Holberton research.
Hope this snippet is of some use. If I see anything else that may help shall let you know.
Regards
Bev

SJLH
27-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Not sure of anyone is still interested in this, however, Frederick Hurrell Holberton is an ancestor of mine. He is indeed the son of William Holberton and Elizabeth Lidstone of Totnes, Devon. He was born on 28 October 1821 and baptised at Totnes on 22 November 1821. He emigrated to Australia in 1853 and settled at Toowomba, west of Brisbane. He was a successful businessman in Toowomba (in retail). He was chairman of Cobb & C o, Toowomba Gas Co and the Toowomba Deposit Bank. He was a member of the Queensland Legislative Council from 1885 - 1907.
He died at Toowomba on 10 September 1907 and is buried at Drayton cemetery.
Hope this helps,
Simon