PDA

View Full Version : Where could this be? Hockelage

tomg
17-03-2009, 9:31 AM
Hi,

I have two people in my tree born in Canada. Though both parents appear to be British.
In the 1871 Census I believe I found the Father serving as an Unmarried Soldier based in Ipswich.
This is backed up by the 1881 Census where he has two children born in Ipswich 1871, 1873 and one child born in Aldershot. in 1875.

His wife is born in Brighton But they have two children born in Canada.
One in 1868 Toronto Canada. The other 1879 Hockelage, Canada.

Not being Canadian I've not heard of Hockelage so wonder what that place may be.
Google has not been my friend on this either.
Unfortunately the 1901 Census merely gives Canada as the place of birth. I've not been able to look at the 1911 record yet.

So I just have the 1881 Census return:-
RG11/1355; Folio: 43; Page: 21;

So where might Hockelage be?

Regards,
Tom.

AdeleE
17-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Looking at the 1881 census image, it appears to read Hochelaga, which is a borough of Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

Adele

AdeleE
17-03-2009, 11:03 AM
In the 1871 Census I believe I found the Father serving as an Unmarried Soldier based in Ipswich.

Tom,
I think the family is found here in the 1871 UK census:

John Tricker head married 30, Driver, Royal Artillery, b Essex, Brentwood
Mary Tricker wife married 28, b Sussex, Brighton
Mary Tricker dau 3, b. Canada, Toronto, Ontario
Lucy Tricker dau 1, b. ditto
Louise Tricker dau 2 weeks, b Suffolk, Ipswich
12 Bramford Road, Ipswich St Matthew, Suffolk
Class: RG10; Piece: 1749; Folio: 131; Page: 22

Adele

Browneyes
17-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Hello Tom,

When I'm searching for information on tricky places mentioned in a census I bear in mind...

(a) the person completing the census might not have known exactly how to spell it. I write down 'sounds like' words. Remember accents/dialects can affect spelling -or just a careless mistake.

(b) the place might not exist now or the name may have been changed/shortened/lengthened etc

(c) any other places in the same country/county/area mentioned in the census or to do with other members of the family.

(d) occupations - did the father have to move his family for work

(e) if the father's a soldier, any clues from regiment postings etc

(f) The year of birth - was there any particular important historical event that ties up with occupations or reasons for moving away/moving into an area.

The differences in age, birth dates of the children - (in Canada) 1868 to 1879 is a big gap - where was the father during that time - did the mother return to England for a while?

You might find other nearby places that have the same ending ('elage').

Try splitting the word into parts and see if any of the parts mean something ie a bridge or river.

'H' is quite a strong letter at the beginning of a word.

tomg
17-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Tom,
I think the family is found here in the 1871 UK census:

Adele

You know I think your Right. I should have spotted that.
I'll give myself a 100 lines of :-
I must always remember to try a soundex match.

many thanks,
Tom.

tomg
17-03-2009, 1:57 PM
You know I think your Right. I should have spotted that.
I'll give myself a 100 lines of :-
I must always remember to try a soundex match.

many thanks,
Tom.

Hmmm soundex didn't find it so now I'm wondering how you spotted it.

tom

AdeleE
18-03-2009, 1:28 AM
Hi Tom,
To find the family in 1871, I picked the least common given name of the family, which was Lucy, then did a search for a Lucy, no surname, born about 1870 in Canada. It was fairly easy then to pick her out of the resulting Lucys.

Adele

tomg
19-10-2009, 9:11 PM
I have still to find the Marriage of the Mother and Father. But after a bit of research at the National Archives. I found that I could confirm that the father was in Toronto at the time of the births and I found the births in the Chaplins Birth Indices.

t.

greann
20-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Could it possibly be Uxbridge, just slightly north east of Toronto?

v.wells
21-10-2009, 12:57 AM
Could be in overseas Army bmd's on FMP. I looked for both Mary and Lucy Tricker in Canada but there was nothing - bmd's don't start til 1869 for gosh sakes. I assume then the info you found is thru collections.ca. What was the bride's name - perhaps there is family listed here.

tomg
21-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Could be in overseas Army bmd's on FMP. I looked for both Mary and Lucy Tricker in Canada but there was nothing - bmd's don't start til 1869 for gosh sakes. I assume then the info you found is thru collections.ca. What was the bride's name - perhaps there is family listed here.

I found the two births in the FMP Overseas Listings but they are under "Tucker" the Tricker is a miss transcription.

The problem I have now is the Marriage of John Tucker and Mary Manley.

I have to do more to find the exact date of his service in the Royal Artillery and see if I can work out if he Married before leaving for Canada or if he married while out there. Since was not an officer one has to wonder how Mary was able to get out to Canada unless he was one of the lucky few that could take his wife.

Tom.

AdeleE
22-10-2009, 2:05 AM
I think we have two threads dealing with the same challenges: who are John Tucker & Mary Manley....

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44020

Adele

tomg
23-10-2009, 7:42 AM
I think we have two threads dealing with the same challenges: who are John Tucker & Mary Manley....

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44020

Adele

Quite right. I had forgotten I'd posted that. Though these days I forget what I had for breakfast by the time I get to work. So remembering I posted something six months ago does get a bit tricky.

Well Spotted/Remmebered!