PDA

View Full Version : A Marriage Licence Allegation

Mutley
17-03-2009, 12:17 AM
I have found a reference to a Marriage Licence Allegation Vicar-General index 1694-1850
that may contain a name I am interested in.
I found it on a pay per view site but there is not an index or anything to give me a clue that the name may be mine or a complete mistranscription.

In order to view I have to take out a subscription and the cheapest payment I can find is at £7.50. While I do not mind paying for details of my ancestors or taking a chance on a certificate, in this instance I feel it is rather like buying a cardboard box without a clue as to the contents. There is no other information on the site that I need to use up the credit.

Is there anywhere, considering I am not in the UK, that I can find out if this Allegation could belong to mine? The site says that the Vicar General Index will only provide surnames but if I had an area I would be prepared to 'go for it'

Hugh Thompson
17-03-2009, 1:07 AM
Hi Mutley, there are some Marriage allegations at the internet archives. (page below) might be lucky!!
Hugh. :)

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=Marriage%20allegations%20%20AND%2 0mediatype%3Atexts%20AND%20mediatype%3Atexts

Kerrywood
17-03-2009, 2:06 AM
The site says that the Vicar General Index will only provide surnames but if I had an area I would be prepared to 'go for it'

Mutley, the VG index on Origins doesn't give you a location for the marriage. Even if you subscribe to the site you get only the surnames of the two spouses and the date of the licence application. To get anything more you have to purchase a copy of the allegation itself, which at £10.00 is quite costly for a shot in the dark :eek:

The original allegations are held at Lambeth Palace library (http://www.lambethpalacelibrary.org/content/contact), where the staff have been known to do the occasional lookup. They are also on film at the Society of Genealogists library. You're welcome to PM me ;)

Kerrywood

Mutley
17-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Thank you Hugh, unfortunately does not include mine but such interesting reading. I could lose myself in there all day. :)
Thank you Kerrywood.
I'm off to read up on those links. I will be in touch.

Mutley
17-03-2009, 6:12 PM
The sog.org site was extremely useful and very informative.
It has a complete list of all the 52,800 indexed surnames with the year span and how many incidences of that surname.

Mine has 1 mention between 1776 to 1800.

That's the one that I want. |jumphappy

Kaff
17-03-2009, 6:27 PM
Can I be very thick and ask what a Marriage Licence Allegation is.

Mutley
17-03-2009, 6:49 PM
Not thick Kaff, we are all learning, all the time in this hobby. That's what makes it so interesting. And there are no stupid questions, so I am told.;)
As I have only just learnt this I am probably not the best to answer but Hampshire Heritage (http://www3.hants.gov.uk/hampshire-heritage/marriage-allegations.htm) has a very easy little explanation.

Though I am looking in London I imagine the same applies wherever.

Kaff
17-03-2009, 7:03 PM
Thanks for that Mutley. As they say 'you learn something new everyday!!'