PDA

View Full Version : Sidetracked AGAIN - Charles TUSON b 1826

David Tuson
16-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Hi

Yet again I got sidetracked on the web!
I started looking on 'findmypast' for John Tuson (from Lancashire) who sailed to Canada in 1910. Found him, got the manifest, then I looked at the Canadian 1911 census, found him again but now the sidetrack.......
I spotted a Samuel Tuson b.1865 so started looking for him in England. The 1871 census has him living in Newbury with the Head recorded as Charles Tuson, b 1826. So I started trying to find Charles' parents to see if he fits into any of the families in my database. Unfortunately 'findmypast' doesn't have the 1851 census so could someone have a look on Ancestry for me please?
Charles is recorded as being born in Reading, Berkshire (1881 census) in 1826.

Now who was it that was actually researching?????????????????

Thanks
David

Astoria
17-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Name: Charles Fooson
[Charles Tuson]
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1825
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary
Where born: Reading, Berkshire, England

Civil Parish: Newbury
Ecclesiastical parish: Oxford
Town: Newbury
County/Island: Berkshire

Registration district: Newbury
Sub registration district: Thatcham
Household schedule number: 204
Household Members:

Name Age
Charles Fooson 26
Mary Fooson 29
Mary Ann Fooson 1
Henry Fuson 25
Elizabeth Brown 18
Emma Snoua 25
Charlotte Croswell 17
Henry Cook 42

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1685; Folio: 357; Page: 42;

Let me know if you need more detail from the image.

NewburyChap
17-03-2009, 1:15 AM
Charles Tuson was licensee of the Coach & Horses in St Mary Hill, Newbury (now part of Cheap St). The pub was demolished around 1870. He moved on by 1861 to the Craven Arms and then, by 1864, to the Monument (both in Northbrook St, Monument still running). He changes wife in the 1850s.

David Tuson
17-03-2009, 4:15 AM
Hi Astoria - Looking at the census details you kindly provided he had only recently married Mary (I'm basing that on Mary Ann Fooson aged 1). So I'm now seeking Charles' parents on the 1841 census. Would you assume that Henry FUSON is Charles' brother (4th line of the census)

G'day Finbar - you've got me sidetracked with your query. At the back of my mind I have a Tuson/Banks connection in Wigan on paper somewhere. I'll have to delve through my mountain of boxes to see if I can find it. Makes a change from the web!!!!
(John Tuson is actually from Liverpool, I'm in contact with his direct descendents in Canada and a distant relative of his in Australia. Somewhere in the 17th century there will be possibly be a link into my family - we are ALL searching!)

NewburyChap - many thanks for the 'social background' of Charles, really appreciated. I had discovered (and assumed) his second marriage from the census returns and then the deaths and marriages on FreeBMD- you've confirmed my assumption, thanks.

Thanks for your help, and the speedy response
David

David Tuson
18-03-2009, 4:04 AM
Don't worry about chasing it up for me David.
Although I have always wondered who the houses were named after, I thought there was a slight chance the info. might help you fill a gap somewhere.

Hi Finbar - I'll be chasing it up to satisfy my curiosity. You never know it make help with my brickwalls! Anything you know about the places (or pointers where I could look) will be greatly appreciated.
David

Victoria Sellwood Turner
18-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Hello,
The Berks FHS 1851 transcription cd has Charles' family as "Tewson". Elizabeth Brown was his unmarried sister-in-law, so that would be his wife's maiden name presumably. She says born Whitway, Hants. Henry was his brother, Emma Stroud, Charlotte Crosswell and Henry Cook were lodgers.
Also on the cd is a Samuel Tuson age 66 with wife Ann age 60, 3 teenage children and 2 lodgers. Samuel is the right sort of age to be Charles' father.

Yours
Victoria

David Tuson
19-03-2009, 3:27 AM
Hi Finbar
Thanks for the maps. I might get my eldest sister to take a trip down to the Wigan area with her camera - she lives in Mellor (near Blackburn) so its not too far.

Hello Victoria, thanks for the information from the FHS CD - much appreciated and confirms the detail from Astoria. Are the 3 teenage children for Samuel named on the CD?

Regards
David

Victoria Sellwood Turner
20-03-2009, 4:12 AM
Hello David,
The children of Samuel and Ann in 1851 are

Back Lane Newbury
Edward 17 Blacksmith Newbury
George 15 apprentice cordwainer Newbury
Elizabeth 13 at home Newbury

Ann says born Seaford Sussex. Samuel is a "vendor of mutton pies and labourer" born Newbury

Yours
Victoria

David Tuson
21-03-2009, 3:30 AM
Thanks Finbar
My sister is more interested in bird watching than family history. I was going to tell her that a 'rare brown spotted kiwi' had been seen in the area. She'd be there in a flash!

Victoria, thanks for the information - I like the occupation!!!

Regards
David

Hi David.

You can save your sister a journey - I live only ten minutes walk from the houses, and pass them fairly regularly. I'll make sure I've got my camera with me next time I go that way.