PDA

View Full Version : What info is on certs?

Hall/Swan
16-03-2009, 9:24 PM
From Census; Name: James Swann Age in 1860: 29 Birth Year: abt 1831 Birthplace: Ireland Home in 1860: Brooklyn Ward 19 District 2, Kings, New York

Household Members:
James Swann 29 Mary Swann (Nee Swann) 30, b. abt. 1820
James Swann 3, b. abt. 1857, NY

.James Alexander Swann of Crosslea born 28th June 1857 is the son of James and Mary Swann, (who in turn is the daughter of James Swann of Crosslea) was baptized at Brooklyn New York in 1857

He in turn married as follows;
Swan, James Spouse : Swan, Mary J. Date/Year of Marriage : 1874 Location : Manhattan County : New York *Certificate Number : 4

OK..here goes.

I am wondering what information would be on a Baptism Cert/Record apart from name of parents, would it give an address please.

As you can see there are Swans marrying Swans with the son marrying a Swan.

The first marriage in 1854 of the first James Swan and Mary Swan is my main query.

Would that cert give the names and addresses of both sets of parents please? James' father was Robert Swan and Mary's father was James Swan, I'm hoping to get an address for the fathers if possible.

Would certs give me these?

Browneyes
16-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Ah...I suggest you have a go at the Spring competition because, as Sue says, "Quite apart from the great prize, there is some very useful information in those stickies for those researching their family tree".;)

Hall/Swan
17-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Ah but there is lots more....not putting all my information up as usually people just pluck the information and use it without any return!

I just want to know what information the certs would give me!

Browneyes
17-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Does this help?

http://www.british-genealogy.com/resources/registers/home.htm

Browneyes
17-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Vital Records give this information:

"In general, vital records weren't kept in the United States until the early 1900s. Vital records usually contain the full name of the individual involved in the event, the date of the event, and the county, state, or town where the event took place. Many vital records contain much more information. For example, birth records usually have the parent's full names, the name of the baby, the date of the birth, and county where the birth took place, marriage records often record the names and birthplaces of each individual's parents. Divorce records usually list the names of the couple's children. Death certificates often mention where the individual will be buried, and also give the name of the individual who reported the death. and death certificate"

Browneyes
17-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Another possible source of info is the archives.nysed.gov website (click on research, then genealogy).

:)

beachbaby
17-03-2009, 2:05 PM
Vital Records give this information:

"In general, vital records weren't kept in the United States until the early 1900s. Vital records usually contain the full name of the individual involved in the event, the date of the event, and the county, state, or town where the event took place. Many vital records contain much more information. For example, birth records usually have the parent's full names, the name of the baby, the date of the birth, and county where the birth took place, marriage records often record the names and birthplaces of each individual's parents. Divorce records usually list the names of the couple's children. Death certificates often mention where the individual will be buried, and also give the name of the individual who reported the death. and death certificate"

I am going to take exception with this quote - they may very well be talking about "recent" or "modern" methods of record keeping. In most of the eastern states there are records going back to the inception of the country. In Massachusetts the towns kept records up to 1850 (if one goes to certain libraries, like Lexington, there are collections of the actual books containings births, marriages and deaths, as well as tax and probate records which you can look through), from 1850 to 1910 they are in the archives in Dorchester Mass on microfiche and from 1910 to present day they are in the Bureau of Vital Statistics. New York should definitely have records back to the 1850s - even if you go out west to the territories the records exist. You may have to send for things, but they should be there. You can contact people in New York and they will tell you exactly what is available. The biggest problem, as with all paper records, is when fire or flooding occurred.

Good luck

Teri

Hall/Swan
25-03-2009, 8:47 PM
Thanks everyone..