PDA

View Full Version : Plate-Layers

Browneyes
16-03-2009, 4:16 PM
In case anyone's interested I have a copy of The Graphic dated September 4th, 1880 which has a long paragraph about Plate-Layer's duties and wages.

daveinliverpool
25-04-2009, 7:07 PM
Hi Browneyes,
Yes am interested, I have a great grandfather who was a Platelayer on the railways here in Liverpool.
Could you possibly e-mail me the paragraph to daveinliverpool [AT] yahoo [DOT] co [DOT] uk
thanks,
Dave

Browneyes
25-04-2009, 7:42 PM
Will do tomorrow Dave. :)

Copper
26-04-2009, 9:41 AM
I have a few plate layers in my tree so I would be very interested in this too. Please would you send me a copy too. You can email me by clicking on my name (hope that makes sense).

Thanks

Browneyes
26-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Okey doke Copper. It's on my list to do later today, :)

Browneyes
26-04-2009, 4:28 PM
Copper,

I've sent it as you said but had to send a photobucket link as I couldn't attach image. Please let me know if aok.

Copper
26-04-2009, 7:48 PM
I received it and it all worked well. I now know exactly what a plate layer did. Thanks very much.

Flossy
28-04-2009, 2:43 PM
Hi Browneyes,
I've just found this thread, and I've got several platelayers in my tree too;' seemed to run in families. I've love to see the article you mention, & wonder if you could send me a copy sometime when you've a spare minute |jumphappy

thanks a million,
Flos

StintonLomas
28-04-2009, 4:44 PM
Hi

Hi Browneyes,
I've just found this thread, and I've got several platelayers in my tree too;' seemed to run in families. I've love to see the article you mention, & wonder if you could send me a copy sometime when you've a spare minute |jumphappy

thanks a million,
Flos

I have a family of Platelayer/gangers.
My maternal Grandmother's brother, a Foreman/Ganger was knocked down and killed by a train at Oldends crossing Glos. in 1887, by the time of the 1891 census his brother who had previously been a platelayer in Yate had been moved to Stonehouse and promoted to Foreman/Ganger, presumably he had taken over his deceased brother's job.

Browneyes
28-04-2009, 7:09 PM
Flossy: Have pm'd it to you. I think the second attempt will probably work best.

StintonLomas: Did you want a copy too?

StintonLomas
29-04-2009, 6:17 AM
Hi
Yes please.

Browneyes
29-04-2009, 4:46 PM
Done :)

StintonLomas
29-04-2009, 6:28 PM
Hi
Thanks very much for that, interesting that it talks about older labourers being platelayers.
My relatives were 31 and 30 in the 81 census, the younger one being the one who was killed in '87.

sue2white
30-04-2009, 5:43 PM
Thanks for that.
One thing I noticed is that those killed were annually published by direction of the Board of Trade. Do you think these still exist?? My grandfather was killed in 1955. I would be interested to see what it said. Maybe it was even published in the local newspaper??? Which was Stevenage.

Sue |idea|

Browneyes
30-04-2009, 10:04 PM
You might like to read what railwaysarchive.co.uk says on their genealogy page and perhaps there are other threads in this section which might answer your question about records.

Not sure about newspapers. Will think about it tomorrow if no one else posts an answer for you. :)

sue2white
01-05-2009, 8:17 AM
You might like to read what railwaysarchive.co.uk says on their genealogy page and perhaps there are other threads in this section which might answer your question about records.

I had a look at the site, but can find no record of the accident. He was killed instantly on 8/8/1955 at Stevenage. Any ideas??

Sue :confused:

Jan1954
01-05-2009, 6:01 PM
Maybe it was even published in the local newspaper??? Which was Stevenage.The possible newspapers are:

The Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire Express
The Herts Advertiser

The latter has been running for ever (so it seems to me) and brings out its own locally-flavoured version each week. If you contact HALS (http://www.hertsdirect.org/libsleisure/heritage1/HALS/) (Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies) they may be able to check for you.

StintonLomas
01-05-2009, 8:21 PM
Hi
I haven't beeen able to find anything on the national sites for my accident either, however someone on ancestry was able to go into the gloucester records office and found a newspaper report and the coroners certificate for me.

Maybe an enquiry on the Hert's board there or on this site might find someone willing to do the same for you if you can't get there yourself.

KateW
03-05-2009, 2:17 PM
Hi,

I had a Gt gt grandfather who was a Platelayer in Wales and he lived just by the railway and is buried in a chapel below a viaduct. I would love to know what the job involved. Could you PM me a copy of the article too? |biggrin|

Many thanks,
KateW

Flossy
03-05-2009, 3:53 PM
Hi Browneyes,
Only just managed to get back to the site. Just a quick message to give a public thanks for sending me the article, & in such an easy format (for me) to access. Luckily so far I haven't found any that had tragic accidents; most appea to have lived to a ripe old age - but I haven't found all the deaths yet, so anything could turn up.

Cheers,
Flossy

Keith Daniells
15-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Hi Browneyes can you put me on your list as well? re platelayers.

Keith Email: beedan AT ozemail DOT com DOT au

Browneyes
16-05-2009, 9:56 AM
Done :)

glyn
21-05-2009, 9:51 PM
hi i just found my gt grandfather on1911 cenus and it says he was railway platelayer so please could you send me details about this he lived in gobowen oswestry
thanks glyn

Browneyes
22-05-2009, 8:33 AM
Have pm'd them to you Glyn :)

flasheart
02-06-2009, 6:21 PM
my grand father and father both worked as plate layers on the

railways.Would like to hear from anyone who has information on the subject.

best wishes Flasheart.

Browneyes
02-06-2009, 6:36 PM
Have pm'd you Flasheart :)

lorraine66
21-06-2009, 8:28 AM
in the middle 1800s some of my ancestors were platelayers i assume they layed the tracks but I'm not too sure. They came from the Middleton-in-teasdale area and surrounding areas. One of them eventually got promoted to railway station master so the census says but I'm not too sure about that either. The Reaveley married into a surgeons family which was really frowned upon and therefore was written out of her fathers will. Her brother was a very prominent surgeon. would love to hear more of what a platelayers life was like back then. Dangerous I imagine.

Browneyes
21-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Have pm'd you Lorraine66. :)

lorraine66
23-06-2009, 6:50 AM
which records would I look to find my ancestors (employee records) for railways? William Heslop came from County Durham and William Reaveley came from Northumberland. The first being a platelayer the second railway signal man. the both 1870s/1880s and beyond. They were both deceased at a relatively early age about 40s to 50's. Thanks.

ps tried the railway gazette couldnt find them

Geoffers
23-06-2009, 7:08 AM
which records would I look to find my ancestors (employee records) for railways? William Heslop came from County Durham and William Reaveley came from Northumberland.

Have a browse of this resarch guide on TNA's web-site - Railways: Staff Records (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=124). Where you look depends on the company for which they worked.

piggolo
17-08-2009, 3:08 PM
Hi,
I've got a small variety of Railway workers in my family. One in particular was raised in Devon but worked around the country including Bradford, Hereford and Manchester before returning back to Newton Abbot in Devon. He was recorded as a Platelayer at different times. Any chance the information on Platelayers is still available?
If you could use my address.... nwelch (at) hotmail (dot) co(dot)uk that would be fantastic.
Thanks

lorraine66
18-08-2009, 7:18 AM
hello

yes i can email you the information. No probs

parkesy
18-08-2009, 8:12 AM
Can I too be added to the list? I would really like to understand more about what he was doing on the railways

Browneyes
18-08-2009, 4:04 PM
hello

yes i can email you the information. No probs

|hug| Lorraine.

Parkesy...will pm it to you. :)

canberra100
09-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Hello,

Am I too late!, have just found this thread, all I can say is there must have been an awful lot of plate layers around. I have several which seemed to run by generation. I would really like like a copy of the article if it's not too much trouble. A pm would be fine or let me know if you want to send my email.

Thanks in advance

Browneyes
09-09-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm popping out in a minute so I'll pm it to you this afternoon. :)

Browneyes
09-09-2009, 8:08 PM
I've sent you links to them - if there's a problem viewing them will you pm me your email and I'll resend them? Thanks.

tj_s
03-01-2010, 4:06 PM
Hi Browneyes,

If it's not too late, may I have a copy of the article please.

On 1881 census my gt. grandfather was a railway labourer - L&SWR (he's the one who got us off the farm) and subsequently a plate-layer, then plate-layer (foreman). By 1911 census he's moved from Winchfield to Feltham, presumably working on the new marshalling yard. It would be good to compare his wages in the '80's with that of Ag. Labs.

Regards,

Tim

Browneyes
03-01-2010, 7:38 PM
I've sent a pm to you with a link to the article Tim.
:)
Browneyes

tj_s
03-01-2010, 8:51 PM
Browneyes,

Got it -thanks for such a quick response.

Tim

Erlang
03-01-2010, 9:03 PM
Hi can I have a copy of the article as well?

I have two plate layers in separate branches, one in Northumberland and one in Lincolnshire.

Browneyes
14-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Erlang,
I'm not sure if I sent it to you or not so I'll send it by pm in case I didn't.
Browneyes

Browneyes
14-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Hi,

I had a Gt gt grandfather who was a Platelayer in Wales and he lived just by the railway and is buried in a chapel below a viaduct. I would love to know what the job involved. Could you PM me a copy of the article too? |biggrin|

Many thanks,
KateW

Not sure if I sent it to you? If not just let me know and I will. x

inxight58
15-03-2010, 2:39 PM
Hi
I have just read your thread and i have a great grandad that was a plate layer in Swindon, please could you send it over to me.

Browneyes
16-03-2010, 6:22 PM
Have pm'd it to you Inxight58

Browneyes x

lynnegreen05
17-03-2010, 1:33 PM
In case anyone's interested I have a copy of The Graphic dated September 4th, 1880 which has a long paragraph about Plate-Layer's duties and wages.

Yes please we have plate layers who worked on the electric tramways in Halifax in my tree. So would love to see this description thank you
Lynne

Geoff Rogers
17-03-2010, 5:34 PM
Could I take up your kind offer. My Great Grandfather was a platelayer.

Thanks

Geoff

Browneyes
17-03-2010, 6:49 PM
My pleasure. Have sent it to you both by pm.
Browneyes x

Geoff Rogers
17-03-2010, 8:36 PM
Many thanks for the pictures.

Kind Regards

Geoff

thecrazy1
30-03-2010, 1:45 PM
Hi just what i was looking for, my ancestors worked on the salisbury and dorset junction railways as platelayers and railway servants i would be very interested to know what the wages were for that period.
please could you send the link for the article
this is very kind of you

many thanks

Browneyes
30-03-2010, 6:29 PM
My pleasure. Have pm'd the link to you.
Browneyes

Fran Gold
12-04-2010, 9:46 PM
I am new to this site, but I would be interested to read about the duties etc of a Plate layer as my Great Grandfather was a Platelayer on the Settle- Carlisle line.

Browneyes
14-04-2010, 9:18 PM
Sent by pm Fran :)
Browneyes

Derek Wheeler
15-04-2010, 2:13 PM
Hi Browneyes
Yes am interested , also have relations who where platelayers
thanks Derek

Browneyes
15-04-2010, 4:54 PM
I've sent you a pm Derek.
Browneyes

thatsnotmyname
25-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Hi Browneyes , Please may I have a copy too , as I have a few platelayers.

Thanks.

Browneyes
25-04-2010, 3:31 PM
Sent by pm Thatsnotmyname. :)
Browneyes

BexyBraz
19-06-2010, 8:05 AM
Hi

I had relatives called Herbert Brazier and Thomas Brazier who on 1911 census show them working as platelayer, they lived in Romford. Do you have anything on them please?

Browneyes
27-06-2010, 7:28 PM
Hi BexyBraz,
Did you want to see the newspaper article or were you searching for individuals information?
Browneyes

Joe Duffy
29-06-2010, 8:41 AM
Hello all,
I have two ancestors (father and son) who were platelayers, both had the nickname "Tinnie". Anyone know if this was a common nickname given to platelayers or did it perhaps have some other origin entirely?

genie12
29-06-2010, 1:20 PM

I would like a copy please because my grandfather was a platelayer in Cornwall.
Thanks.

BexyBraz
02-07-2010, 7:59 PM
Hi

I was actually looking for information on Herbert and Thomas Brazier

seakay
01-08-2010, 7:21 PM
Platelayers/Surfacerepairmen
It seems as though they certainly kept these jobs in the family. I'm interested to know what the difference between PL and SRM was (if any). Can I bother you for a copy of the info? Charlie-kennedy AT hotmail DOT co DOT uk
Much obliged.
seakay

seakay
10-08-2010, 8:58 PM
Hullo Browneyes
I am interested in a copy of the Graphic relating to Platelayers.
Obviously it has been said previously but this occupation runs in families. Father to son is not uncommon. I am interested in the difference between the duties etc of Surface Repair Man and the Platelayer. My chaps were on the LMS Carlisle-Glasgow. They "lived" in the Summit Cottages at Beattock Summit. Only 3 or 4 Cottages and landscape like the Russian Steppes!
E-mail: Charlie-kennedy AT hotmail DOT co DOT uk
Very much appreciated.
Seakay

lee greagsbey
08-10-2010, 5:56 PM
Hello Browneyes
I am interested in a copy of the Graphic relating to Platelayers, Also I am interested in the difference between the duties etc of Surface Repair Man and the Platelayer.
I have found a few railway men in my tree, so this info will be must helpful.
E-mail: leegreagsbey AT hotmail DOT com
Very much appreciated.
Lee Greagsbey

seakay
10-10-2010, 5:06 PM
Hulllo Browneyes
Any chance of a copy of the article re platelayers. Thanks a lot [email protected]
Seakay

Browneyes
11-10-2010, 7:31 PM
Rather late in the day, but I've sent a link to the information by private messages to you (Genie12, Seakay & Lee).

Browneyes

genie12
02-11-2010, 11:57 AM
I would like a copy please because my grandfather was a platelayer in Cornwall.
Thanks.
Thanks for that.

ilwilson
16-11-2010, 4:07 PM

Hi Browneyes. I've got GNR plate layers named WESELBY in my family. Could I please have a copy of that? Cheers!

Audrie Reed
17-11-2010, 4:19 PM
Yes please I would like a copy, my gt grandfather was a plate layer in Brentwood, and this sounds an interesting read. Thanks

BexyBraz
18-11-2010, 6:43 PM
Hi BexyBraz,
Did you want to see the newspaper article or were you searching for individuals information?
Browneyes

Hi, sorry for the long reply...I would like a copy of the article please, and any hints on how i can find out about the individuals please.

Becky

seakay
18-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Platelayer

Does anyone have an idea when this noble trade came to an end (probably a sticky one). I am thinking in terms of N of the border.
I can see Beeching in his office at Marylebone House "Those Scotch chaps dont complain much do they."
"No your Lordship Sir" sez chief bootlicker "We have killed them all off by running them down."
"Jolly well done. Didn't know these trains thingys couldd go that fast doncha know"

Browneyes
19-11-2010, 6:41 PM
Hi Ian & Audrie, link sent in PMs. Browneyes.

Browneyes
19-11-2010, 6:43 PM
And to you too Becky.
Browneyes

PS. Let me know if the links do not work please. Thank you x

Katkins
13-01-2011, 9:56 PM
Hi Browneyes

Just found this thread and would be very interested in a copy of the info on Plate Layers. My Grt grt grandfather was on the GWR railway in 1891. Are there any sites that would have pictures in the area of Chiltern Berkshire at this time?

oscardaphers
22-01-2011, 9:59 PM
Hi Browneyes

If it is not too much trouble I would be interested in the artical.

My gt gt grandfather was a platelayer in the Clapham and surrounding areas. He was a forman on the 1901 census.
Interestingly he is missing from the census in 1871 and my mum remembers from her childhood that it was said that somebody in the family went to India to work on the Railways.
Would you happen to know whether this could explain his absence on the census?

Kind regards
Wendy

MarkJ
23-01-2011, 12:46 AM
The census should only record those persons who were resident in a place at the time stated - usually overnight.
In rare cases, people didn't actually follow the instructions and put down hubby or whoever happened to be elsewhere - which can lead to the odd person appearing in two places at the same time as far as the census is concerned!

If your great great grandfather was not around for the 1871 census, then yes, it could be that he was in India or elsewhere. Be aware though that he might just have been elsewhere in the UK. But if you know he went to India around that time, then that could well explain his absence.

Mark

oscardaphers
23-01-2011, 8:57 PM
Thanks Mark
I have searched through the census and can't find that he stayed anywhere else that night.
I guess what I am really asking is were the British in India at that time laying railways?

Wendy

steptacular
06-02-2011, 1:54 PM
Yes, I too have plate-layers in my family. Would very much appreciate the paragraph you mention.
Thanks,
Rob

Stan
06-02-2011, 2:36 PM
Hello,

Have just found your post and would be most grateful for copy if possible. My great uncle was a foreman platelayer in Bottesford, Leicestershire around that time.

Many thanks,

Stan

kezzwezz
17-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Good evening from Australia,

If possible I would like a copy of the article please, do you have any ideas on how I can find out about an individual?

Thank you so much for your time.

Kind regards - Kezzwezz

Stan
18-03-2011, 9:13 AM
Hello,

Mt Great Grandfather and uncle were platelayers in Leicestershire. I too would be most grateful for a copy.

Many thanks in advance, Stan

BlossD
27-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Hello

I've just found this thread and would be very interested in a copy of the infomation on Platelayers. I have a number of ancestors who worked as Playtelayers in Tanfield Co. Durham

Many thanks

steptacular
28-06-2011, 12:42 PM
That sounds good I have a few plate layers from Crewe in my tree. Can you email the page to

roberthurden At yahoo DOT co DOT uk

Thanks,
Rob

Browneyes
28-06-2011, 8:01 PM
Hi,

To everyone that asked for a copy - please accept my sincere apologies for the delay.If you can bear with me for just a few days till the weekend I'll reply to you with the article. I need to rescan it first.

Very many thanks for your patience.

Browneyes x

Browneyes
23-08-2011, 7:40 PM
I've sent the link to everyone who requested it (I think) via private messages now - if anyone hasn't received it just let me know.

Rob: Can you let me know if you haven't received it please?

oscardaphers
24-08-2011, 7:35 AM
Hi Browneyes
I am sorry but I have not recieved a private message from you. It would be great if you have time.
Thanks in advance
Wendy

BlossD
24-08-2011, 3:22 PM
Hi Browneyes

Thank you for sending me the link. Unfortunately I was unable to access the site
Bloss

Browneyes
24-08-2011, 4:47 PM
My pc is misbehaving at the moment (grrr) and I'm not sure why the link to photobucket didn't work but I'll sort it out asap and get them to you asap. Many thanks for your patience.

StintonLomas
24-08-2011, 8:44 PM
Hi Browneyes
You sent me the links sometime ago, I have just tested them and they are still working.
Would you like me to forward them to the recent requesters for you ?

Browneyes
24-08-2011, 9:06 PM
Hi Browneyes
You sent me the links sometime ago, I have just tested them and they are still working.
Would you like me to forward them to the recent requesters for you ?

That would be great if you could StintonLomas. I think I have gremlins at the moment!
Thank you.

oscardaphers
25-08-2011, 1:23 PM
Thanks Browneyes and StintonLomas for trying.

Unfortunatley the photobucket link did not work.
Kind Regards

Browneyes
14-09-2011, 7:20 AM
Not having much luck with photobucket. Is there another way I can upload the article for people to see?
Thanks

StintonLomas
14-09-2011, 8:57 PM
Hi
I'll try photobucket.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x162/penman1/simeon/Platelayersduties.jpg