PDA

View Full Version : 1881 census look up for kensington.

Tom-M
21-02-2005, 9:55 PM
Hi Everyone.
Is it possible for some kind person to look for Elizabeth Parberry and her parents, she was my wifes grandmother.As far as we know she was born in or around the potteries in nottingdale, kensington, she married a Henry Dyer, and went on to have six or seven daughters and three sons.My wifes mother was Christina louisa Dyer, born c 1896 in kensington greater london, Middx.

Thanks in advance as any help would be much appreciated.

Regards Tom.

Peggy
21-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Hello Tom,

If you really mean 1881, you can search it free on the LDS site, www.familysearch.org.

Best,

Peggy

Pam Downes
22-02-2005, 1:26 AM
Hi Tom,

After you've found them on familysearch I would suggest thst you take out a 7-day subscription to ancestry. Will cost you just over 7 quid if you live in the EU, or for non-VAT paying people further overseas, 6 quid. For your money you can view (and download) 20 images of the census and other items. For the census you have a choice of 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901. I would advise checking the original page of the 1881 as the ages of the parents could be correct but look a little dodgy when compared to the ages of the children.

Pam Downes

Tom-M
22-02-2005, 10:41 PM
Hi Pam and Peggy.
Thank you both for replying , I made an error with the date of 1881, I should have written 1871, I have tried to find the Parberry family on various sites but to no avail, I have only been doing this for a short while and still trying to find my way around. Thank you both for your help, time and advice it's much appreciated.
Best Regards Tom.

Peggy
22-02-2005, 11:49 PM
Hi Tom,

Well, I don't see Henry in 1881 either. But I think you'll find Elizabeth if you look for her. If these are they on the 1901,

Christina Dyer 5 Hammersmith, London, England Daughter Hammersmith
Elizabeth O Dyer 28 Kensington, London, England Wife Hammersmith
George W Dyer 1 month Hammersmith, London, England Son Hammersmith
Henry Dyer 29 Kensington, London, England Head Hammersmith
Henry Dyer 6 Hammersmith, London, England Son Hammersmith
Mabel Dyer 3 Hammersmith, London, England Daughter Hammersmith

they won't be found on the 1871.

Continued,

Peggy

Peggy
23-02-2005, 12:02 AM
I'd suggest that you get the marriage cert, which should tell you the names and occupations of their fathers. You can find the info needed on FreeBMD, often mentioned around here. (I go to it from the home page of rootsweb.com.) Search for a marriage for Elizabeth, as her name is more unusual. Try between 1890 and 1895. ;) You should also be able to find her birth, going from her age in 1901.

Once you get the certs, more census searching may turn up the parents in 1871.

Happy hunting,

Peggy

P.S. I'f you'd like the image for 1901, let me know.

Pam Downes
23-02-2005, 2:08 AM
Hi Tom,

Have you only looked for the surname spelt as Parberry, or have you also looked for alternative spellings such as the Parbury one on the 1881? I'd consider Parbery, Parbry, and also a mis-transcription of Par as Per, Por, or Pur.
And also think which letter the 'P' could have been mistranscribed as.

I have to say that I do find the 1881 census and the IGI useful when trying to think of alternative spellings. Type your name into familysearch and you can see some inspired alternatives :D

Pam Downes

Jo Simpsons
23-02-2005, 10:04 AM
Looking at that entry in 1901 it looks like Elizabeth V Dyer. I had a look on 1891 and can see a family that may be a possible, on the same street as 1901

St Paul Hammersmith, 41, Hunt Street
William Parberry, 40, Painter, Paddington
Agnes, daur, 20, laundress, Kensington
Elizabeth V , daur, 18, ,, ,,
William G, son, 15, errand boy, ,,
Ellen V , daur 14, Hammersmith
Alice H, daur, 8, ,,
Minnie J, daur, 5, ,,
Sidney S, son, 6 months, ,,

Going from that, 1881, down as Parbury
Calverly Street
Willaim, 29, Painter, Paddington
Agnes, wife, 28, Kensington
do , dau,r 11, ,,
Elizabeth, daur, 8, ,,
William, son, 6, ,,
Ellen, daur, 4, Hammersmith

Jo :)

Tom-M
23-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Hi everyone.
Thank you all so much for all the information that you all have very kindly given
me this last few days, I will use all the advice and info that has been given to further my search into the family parberry.

My best regards to all for everthing.
Tom.

Rowheat
24-02-2005, 9:20 PM
Hi Tom

If you contact me via e-mail I will send you the 1871 census entries for Parberry so you have them ready for when you do get the parents names.
There are a few in the Kensington area, my CORNEY family were also from the Potteries area.

Happy Hunting

Rowena