PDA

View Full Version : School Admission registers.

benny1982
15-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Hi

I think that school admission registers are a next step in building up a picture of our ancestors lives.

I have been away on a genealogy trip and got back yesterday. My great grandmother Catherine Isabella Coombs life is now well documented by me.

I have been trawling through school registers of the Islington area of London where she lived as a child. I then found her admission registers at Winchester Street School, Islington, London. They said:-

Coombs, Catherine, admitted 20.3.1893, of 90 Southampton Street, Islington, Father William T Coombs, a Litho Printer, Born 22/9/1889, Discharged 29/1/1897 to Girls School.

Amazing hey?

Ben

Kerrywood
15-03-2009, 1:25 PM
Totally agree with you, Ben. School records can be a very useful resource, but their survival is patchy and better for the later decades of the 1800s than earlier (basically, after the 1870 Elementary Education Act).

For London, the new edition of Cliff Webb's Index of London Schools and their Records, published by the Society of Genealogists, is an excellent guide.

Kerrywood

Jan1954
15-03-2009, 1:46 PM
For London, the new edition of Cliff Webb's Index of London Schools and their Records, published by the Society of Genealogists, is an excellent guide.

KerrywoodThe second edition of this is available from Parish Chest (http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=viewproduct&cat=&id=P26723&pageOffset=0). ;)

benny1982
15-03-2009, 6:14 PM
Hi

School registers will be at the local record offices. Also many school registers are still probably with the school as I have found out once or twice.

Ben