PDA

View Full Version : manslaughter in banstead asylum

rocket118
13-03-2009, 4:14 PM
Hello. Could anyone help me in tracking down where I could find out the court and trial details of a manslaughter case from 1879.

My 2g grandad was killed inside Middlesex County Asylum, Banstead, Surrey on June 26th 1879. There was an inquest held on July 2nd 1879.

I have been to the Surrey Records Office today to look at local newspapers of the time but there was no coverage I could find.

Many thanks to anyone who replies.

AnnB
13-03-2009, 6:36 PM
Hello. Could anyone help me in tracking down where I could find out the court and trial details of a manslaughter case from 1879.

My 2g grandad was killed inside Middlesex County Asylum, Banstead, Surrey on June 26th 1879. There was an inquest held on July 2nd 1879.

I have been to the Surrey Records Office today to look at local newspapers of the time but there was no coverage I could find.

Many thanks to anyone who replies.
Was your 2x grandfather Charles Cootes? If so I have found an article about the trial in Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper. As it is a bit long to copy out, if you would like to PM me your e-mail address, I can send you a copy.

Best wishes
Ann

Peter Goodey
13-03-2009, 9:32 PM
If it was Charles Cootes, the case was also covered in The Times. The Times Digital Archive is available through Essex Libraries.

rocket118
13-03-2009, 9:40 PM
Thank you very much Peter

Peter Goodey
13-03-2009, 9:51 PM
My PM area is full and I can't be doing with fidding around with it.

This is the answer to your PM -

The online services are described on your library service website

http://www.essexcc.gov.uk/vip8/ecc/ECCWebsite/dis/guc.jsp?channelOid=15524&guideOid=17103&guideContentOid=15556

rocket118
13-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Hi Peter. I have been on the link you sent but having trouble.

What keywords did you put into the search to find the details?

Many thanks..Sean

Peter Goodey
14-03-2009, 7:50 AM
The link is still working for me. It's only the Library Service section of the Essex County Council site. You have to read the first two paragraphs and then scroll down to see what's available.

Useful sites for genealogy include the Oxford English Dictionary, the Oxford Premium Reference Collection, the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Who's Who & Who was Who and the Times Digital Archive.

You're one up on me - Kent doesn't provide access to the Guardian and Observer archives.

AnnB
14-03-2009, 7:56 AM
Hello Sean

I've e-mailed you a copy of the article from Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper. Do follow up on Peter's suggestion of making use of the newspaper databases from the Essex Library service. They are really useful.

Best wishes
Ann

rocket118
14-03-2009, 8:04 AM
Hello Peter. I've now found the article!

Once again many thanks to you and also Ann