PDA

View Full Version : Offer to do lookups

robinadexter
20-02-2005, 9:36 PM
In recognition of all the help that I have had from others, I am offering to do some lookups when I go to the Essex record office during the week 14th to 18th March.
I have a lot of looking up of my own to do and I am travelling down from Cumbria so I can only make a limited offer which is: the first five requests posted here that give me nice, clear info as to Who, When, Where and What event you seek, will get my attention and I will do my best to find the info wanted. Anyone after that ....well, I'll see how things go, but make no commitment.
As they say in the small ads: No time wasters, please!!
Robina

Geoffers
20-02-2005, 10:11 PM
In recognition of all the help that I have had from others, I am offering to do some lookups when I go to the Essex record office during the week 14th to 18th March.Very kind offer. One request - please put it to the back of the queue as it is not urgent and I'll get around to it sometime:

Kirby-le-Soken - baptism of Elizabeth Ann ANNIS in 1789.

Her death, burial and census returns are all consistent that she was born in that year and was from the parish, she married there in 1810. I'd be interested in the full entry from the parish register.

Ta
Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Mythology
20-02-2005, 10:30 PM
No request here, Robina, wouldn't be fair when I go there myself now and then anyway, just a word of warning.

If anyone wants a register look-up in "Colchester" (no more detail than that), avoid like the plague. There are about a dozen different parishes - you'll be doing twelve or so jobs not one.

Sue Mackay
21-02-2005, 12:13 AM
In recognition of all the help that I have had from others, I am offering to do some lookups when I go to the Essex record office during the week 14th to 18th March.
Robina
I have a couple of references from the fiched index to Poor Law Settlement Papers that I would love to have if you have time

Egerton PHILBRICK (Bocking to Coggeshall/Sudbury) 1765 268/13/4
Amy PHILBROOK Hatfieild Peverel to Woodham Walter 1768 42/13/4

Thanks

ChristineR
21-02-2005, 2:29 AM
Thank you Robina for your kind offer.

If you get time I would love details of this death, reference from FreeBMD.
I'm not sure if you can actually access this info, or I have to purchase the certificate.

Deaths Sep 1870
Randall Sarah Tendring 4a 189

Christine Randall
Australia
[John Cole RANDALL, Harwich]

Andrew Mead
21-02-2005, 6:53 AM

I'm not sure if you can actually access this info, or I have to purchase the certificate.

If you know the parish, rather than the district (Tendring, with lots of parishes in it), all you will find is the burial, with limited information - name, date of burial, possibly date of death and possibly age. Your best bet is buy the certificate.

Andrew

Pam Downes
21-02-2005, 9:49 AM

Deaths Sep 1870
Randall Sarah Tendring 4a 189

Christine Randall
Australia

Hi Christine,

As Andrew says, Tendring in reference to an entry on the GRO Index (of which FreeBMD is a transcribed copy) means the district not a town or village. For a list of the places in Tendring district
http://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/REG/ess.htm
Death in a town or district does not imply burial in that town/district though the chances are quite high, so if you want the date of burial - which is not the same as date of death - then once you have the death certificate you can look in the PRs and or cemetery records for that town.
For the details found on a death certificate read the excellent
http://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/indexbd.htm
Although there are currently delays in certificate despatch I would always recommend using the GRO when requesting certificates. It's the cheapest way if you can pay by plastic. (And if you ask another company to order on your behalf they have to order either through the GRO or through the Family Records Centre in London.) Be aware that there are companies who have 'gro' in their URL and from their initial description on google you can easily be mislead into thinking that they are the official GRO site. Not when they are charging 3 times the cost of a certificate ordered online. This is the URL you need to order certificates
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
then click on the type you want.

Pam Downes

robinadexter
21-02-2005, 6:26 PM
Christine, I have to agree with the advice given by others. get the certificate. Without the actual Parish I will not know where to look and, as suggested, it if I did, the parish record is not likely to give as much info as the certificate.
Happy hunting
Robina

ChristineR
22-02-2005, 3:54 AM
Thanks to Pam, Andrew and Robina - I now have more of an idea what"s what :)
It would actually be the Parish of St Nicholas, Harwich. I have looked at the 1851 census for Tendring and there were very few Randalls. My 1861 census cd for the area arrived this morning, and my Sarah was still living and the age matches up fairly well for this death in 1870.
I didn't realise that it would be parish records you would be looking at, but thought you might have access to the actual civil registration (which is what happens in a couple of our States in Australia, but not Victoria) I have already ordered St Nicholas parish film into my FHC (can"t wait for it to arrive!) I was only thinking baptisms, and on re-reading the film notes I see there is the strong chance of this burial being included.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to help - I shall get the certificate.
Christine Randall
Australia

robinadexter
20-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Geoffers: I looked up Elizabeth Ann Annis baptism in 1789. It was on 8th May. Her parents were Thomas and Martha. Cheers
Robina

robinadexter
20-03-2005, 11:43 AM
I have a couple of references from the fiched index to Poor Law Settlement Papers that I would love to have if you have time

Egerton PHILBRICK (Bocking to Coggeshall/Sudbury) 1765 268/13/4

Thanks
Sue: Here you are for Egerton:
"The examination of Egerton Philbrick touching his last legal place of settlement taken upon oath this Twenty sixth Day of October 1765.

This Examination upon his oath saith (as he was informed) that he was born in the parish of Great Coggeshall in the said County and that he was bound an Apprentice to one Richard Gardiner of the Parish of Saint Peter in the Borough os Sudbury of Sudbury in the County of Suffolk Peruko [sic] for the term of Four Years and that he served the said Term with his said master and hath not done any Act or Acts whereby to gain a Settlement elsewhere.

Sworn this Day and Year
above written before [Chr] Wilson and Nugent Signed Egerton Philbrick"

I take peruko to be peruke = wig 'Chr' is my take on the letters. This could be Commisioners, councillors or possibly chaiman? Other will advise if you are not already able to make your own interpretation.

I will post Amy separately
Robina

robinadexter
20-03-2005, 4:14 PM

Thanks[/QUOTE] From Sue MacKay

No 2 for you Sue:

"Essex: The examination of Amy Philbrook in the parish of Hatfield in the said county Singlewoman concerning her last legal place of settlement taken upon Oath before us whose names are hereunto subscribed two of us his Majesty's Justices of the Peace in and for the said County the 24th day of May 1788*
Who saith that at Michaelmas One thousand Seven Hundred and Eighty five she let herself to Mr Willm Gladwin Of the parish of Woodham Walter in the County aforesaid Farmer for the sum of three Pounds ten shillings for the Year and that she enter'd on her said service on Michaelmas Day and continued till the Michaelmas Day following and that she received the Full Year's Wages
and she further saith that she hath done no other Act or Acts whereby to gain a Settlement in any other parish or place whatsoever.

Taken and sworn before us
the Day and year above written
John Shutt Amy Philbrook
John Tyrelly 3B and she further saith that she hath done no other Act or Acts whereby to gain a Settlement in any other parish or place whatsoever.

Taken and sworn before us
the Day and year above written
John Shutt Amy Philbrook
John Tyrelly her mark

*Sue: note the date different from the reference

Geoffers
20-03-2005, 4:38 PM
Geoffers: I looked up Elizabeth Ann Annis baptism in 1789. It was on 8th May. Her parents were Thomas and Martha. Cheers
Robina

That's most kind of you, very many thanks

Geoffers

Sue Mackay
21-03-2005, 12:53 AM
[QUOTE=robinadexter]

I take peruko to be peruke = wig 'Chr' is my take on the letters. This could be Commisioners, councillors or possibly chaiman? Other will advise if you are not already able to make your own interpretation.
/QUOTE]

Robina

Thanks a million for doing this. Egerton's father John was a peruke maker according to his marriage licence, so it is very interesting to know it continued for another generation.

Thanks again

Sue

robinadexter
21-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Administrators:
As my lookups have reached those who requested them and I am now back in Cumbria, this thread is now redundant. Would you like to close it and save some space?
Cheers
Robina