PDA

View Full Version : 1861 census lookup - RVPA

cdnsctgirl
20-02-2005, 9:03 PM
I am looking for a boy named John CARDEN at the Royal Victoria Patriotic Asylum in 1861. I realize that it was a girls' institution, but I read that a separate boys' facility was built later (the asylum was a home for orphans of the Crimean War... certainly they weren't all girls!). I have a newspaper article from 1934 that places John there, and no other leads. Could SKS please see if he is listed in the 1861 census? He would be about 5 years old at that time.

Thanks,

Sarah

rotti
20-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Hi Sarah

Try searching the London 1861 census index @ 1837 online

cdnsctgirl
22-02-2005, 9:03 AM
I tried the site, but can't find the institution in question. I couldn't find my ancestor either, though, even when I searched by name. He may have gone to live with relatives by that time... unfortunately, Aberdeen isn't one of the areas of coverage. :(

I found surprisingly few of my ancestors on the 1861 census, and I know they lived in London at that time. Makes me wonder how complete the census is, since I have these same relations listed on just about every other census I've checked. :confused:

Thanks,

Sarah

cdnsctgirl
22-02-2005, 7:29 PM
Herbert Fry's Guide to the London Charities lists the following:

"Royal Victoria Patriotic School for Girls; 1855; Wandsworth Common. Office, Seymour House, 17, Waterloo Place, S.W.; To maintain and educate the orphan daughters of soldiers, sailors, and marines."

I realize it's for girls and I'm looking for a boy, but I thought I'd have a look anyway. I found addresses on Waterloo Place, but only up to #14. I tried looking up Wandsworth, as well as Seymour House. No luck. Either I'm really doing something wrong, or a major institution was left off the 1861 census!

Sarah

cdnsctgirl
23-02-2005, 8:24 PM
Thanks for looking. I'm not sure if we're looking in the right place, though...

I found the 1934 article I mentioned earlier. The paragraph which lead me to believe it was the Royal Victoria Patriotic Asylum was as follows:

"Mr Carden's father was Drummer James Carden, of the Black Watch, who had been stationed at Weymouth, and later went out to the Crimea and never returned. Mr Carden was brought up at the Royal Victoria School in Barnet, a home for orphans of the Crimean War."

When I searched for the Royal Victoria School, the only one I could find was the Royal Victoria Patriotic Asylum. Since it was also a home for Crimean War orphans (albeit girl ones!), I assumed that was the institution in question. Unfortunately, I don't know how accurate the newspaper article is (or from what paper it was taken).

Sarah