PDA

View Full Version : British citizens repatriated

GizmoMischief
12-03-2009, 6:30 AM
Hi,

I'm just getting started on my mother's side of the family and want to know if there are any surviving records of British citizens being evacuated from German occupied territory and repatriated to England. My mother was born to her English mother in Czechoslovakia, in the part of the country that was ceded to Germany during WW2, and remembers being "rescued" by American soldiers and ending up back in England. As she was very young at the time she doesn't remember much more than that. Is there likely to be anything, anywhere, that gives detailsof people who made it back to England and how they got there?

:confused:

Fran

Geoffers
12-03-2009, 9:20 AM
Using TNA's catalogue, I entered in word or phrase 'repatriation' and restricted the search period to 1939-1948. There are 2,622 hits. You will not be able to view these records online, I haven't tried refining the search to see how detailed the records are catalogued (you might try 'repatriation AND czechoslovakia' in the word or phrase - make sure AND is in capitals), but there does seem to be something available. Your problem now is refining the search to get something meaningful and to then gain access to the records.

GizmoMischief
14-03-2009, 5:27 AM
Thanks Geoffers, I hadn't thought about trying there (seems obvious now!) Along with other bits and pieces that I can't get online it looks more and more like I'll just have to make another visit to England to follow all the different avenues. What a hardship!|biggrin|

Fran