PDA

View Full Version : Emma Newman-Tunstead Norfolk

Essex girl
12-03-2009, 1:24 AM
Hi,
My ancestor Emma Newman (baseborn) was christened 21/11/1821 St Mary's Tunstead to Frances Newman.
Does anyone know if bastardy records survive for Tunstead at this time? Also how long would payments be made for? Frances married in 1829 would payments for her then 8 year old daughter have stopped at the time of marriage?

When Emma marries Robert HARMER in 1843, she states her father's name as William KING. Is this likely to be fact ?
Thanks for your help
Jude

Geoffers
12-03-2009, 9:13 AM
My ancestor Emma Newman (baseborn) was christened 21/11/1821 St Mary's Tunstead to Frances Newman.

The register records her as Emma Elizabeth but only mentions her mother.

Does anyone know if bastardy records survive for Tunstead at this time?

Try a search of NROCAT (http://nrocat.norfolk.gov.uk/Dserve/DServe.exe?dsqServer=128.60.0.31&dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=Index.tcl) move your cursor over 'set searches' and select 'Church of England Parishes' from the drop down list, then select Tunstead - look for any files which may relate to accounts, there may be something in one of them relating to paytments

Or again using NROCAT move your cursor over 'search the catalogue' and select advanced search. In any text enter 'bastardy' in the date enter '1821' then search. Look for any file which has a catalgue reference beginning PD285 (PD 285 is the reference for Tunstead). You'll see that some files do not have a catalogue reference, you will need to click on details to see what area is covered.

Also how long would payments be made for? Frances married in 1829 would payments for her then 8 year old daughter have stopped at the time of marriage?

The orders I have seen just refer to payments being made "towards the keeping sustenance and maintenace of the said Bastard Child, for and during so long a time as the said Bastard Child shall be chargeable to the said parish of......."

When Emma marries Robert HARMER in 1843, she states her father's name as William KING. Is this likely to be fact?

I see no reason why she would lie. There was a KING family in Tunstead about this time, the dad's name was Jonathon KING. Have you checked Tunstead baptisms to see if a William KING was baptised there around say 1790-1805? If not I can have a run through my records later this morning.

Essex girl
12-03-2009, 10:24 AM
BINGO :D

William KING c3/6/1794 Tunstead parents Jonathon KING/Sarah nee TEMPLE.
Now need to try and find him on census':) and try NORCAT.

Thanks Geoff

Geoffers
12-03-2009, 10:55 AM
William KING c3/6/1794 Tunstead parents Jonathon KING/Sarah nee TEMPLE.

If that is from either freereg or the PRTSoc CD - I can confirm that on fiches 3, row 4, column 2 you'll find the entry on the right hand page about halfway down:

"June 3rd William son of Jonathan KING &
sarah his wife (late TEMPLE)."

Now need to try and find him on census'

This might be him...........

RG9/313 f30 p54 sch 376
12, Prices Street, Christ Church Southwark
William KING, hd, mar, 67, formerly a porter to a confectioner, bn Tunstead, Nfk
Mary Maria King, wf, mar, 60, laundress, bn (Caister??), Nfk