PDA

View Full Version : Oxfordshire Bastardy Bonds

Claire Gardiner
10-03-2009, 8:32 AM
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction regarding Bastardy Bonds.

My Gx4 Grandfather was baptised at Shifford Church, Oxfordshire, on 12/12/1802 and listed as being baseborn - his mother's name was Susan.

Naturally this has ruffled some feathers in the Gardiner clan as we are technically not Gardiners! We are therefore intrigued as to what our surname should/might have been had Susan Gardiner married the father of her child.

I wondered if anyone would have any idea where I should start looking for Bastardy Bonds circa 1802 in Oxfordshire? Again, any help really would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading.

Sandyhall
10-03-2009, 9:12 AM
Hi
Have you looked in the Oxford Records Office.
Will PM you with details
Sandy

busyglen
10-03-2009, 2:05 PM
That's interesting Finbar! My gt.gt. grandfather was illegitimate and knew that he was illegitimate. However, he went by his mother's surname, but did actually name his father as Green on his marriage cert. That would have been a help, but there were hundreds of Greens in the vicinity.

So..... I am stuck also Claire having to go down the maternal line, and no sign of a Bastardy Bond.

Good luck!

Glenys

martindodd
14-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Sandy, Would it be possible for you to send me details about the Oxford records Office too?

I've just found out that my Gx3 GrandMother had several illegitimate children between 1814 and 1827 (baptised in Mapledurham) and I'd like to see if I can find the father(s) for them.
I believe I might have to look at Bastardy Inquisitions and Affiliation orders but this is my first attempt at looking into parish records and so I'm a little clueless about how best to proceed.

Thanks in advance,
Martin