PDA

View Full Version : Brazillai Porter of Risley, Beds

Deborah Cope
09-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Hello

I'm looking for Brazillai Porter who was born in Risley in 1823. He married Sophia Flavell in 1843. The only reference I can find in the Census is in 1841 when he lived at home with parents William & Mary in which he is named as Bassillia. I really thought this would be an easy one to find, but I'm totally lost...........I'm beginning to think he must have emigrated, or was taken by aliens |laugh1|

I'd be grateful if anyone could offer any info

Deborah

Kerrywood
10-03-2009, 1:01 AM
I'm beginning to think he must have emigrated

It looks like he may have done just that. Try googling "Barzillai PORTER" (in quotes, and note spelling of first name). This site (http://marktewk.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=marktewk&view=0&pid=14977&rand=184454384) suggests he may have ended up in Victoria (Australia). There's a contact link to the owner of the web-page, so you could check it out?

Kerrywood

JPBeds
10-03-2009, 1:37 PM
hello Deborah / Kerrywood

Looking at 'this site' I see that I have a link to this family, Sophia Flavell 1823 daughter of William F & Mary Deighton who married 18/08/1805 Swineshead , is sister to Isaac Flavell baptised 1809. Isaac married Esther Wildman & through the Wildmans link by marriage to Fairey who link to Partridge

regards John

JPBeds
10-03-2009, 1:47 PM
Barzillai Porter (born 1820 - 1823) exists in 7 trees on Genes ReUnited, 3 I still have access to, but there is no further info as to their children (if they had any). Two trees have Sophia Porter died 1910 in Oodlawirra, South Australia.

davidcarca
10-03-2009, 4:36 PM
Barzillai Porter, son of William and Mary Porter, was baptised at Riseley (modern spelling, two e's! which can make a difference when searching censuses) on 27 July 1823 (BVRI)

Shout if you need the baptisms of his siblings, which are not on the IGI

David

davidcarca
10-03-2009, 4:57 PM
Just wanted to add that William Porter of Riseley appears in the Bedford Gaol site at http://apps.bedfordshire.gov.uk/grd/

But as my proposed addition was more than 10 mins after my posting apparently I need the administrator's permission. Sledgehammer to crack a nut!

David

Deborah Cope
10-03-2009, 7:33 PM
Hello David,

Thank you for your information, I'd love the Baptism's of William & Mary's Children please, so far I have details of William, Barzillai, Elizabeth, Jane & Susan, all obtained from the IGI. I'm quite new to Geneology and the Porters are my husbands family - not much is known about them. The Gaol records are great......adds character to our Ancestors, don't you think and brings them to life, far better than having statistics alone, its like adding meat back to the bones, if you know what I mean!

Thanks again.
Deborah

Deborah Cope
10-03-2009, 7:46 PM
"It looks like he may have done just that".

Crikey, this is brilliant, Thank you! Emigration was the only reason I could think of that explained Brazillai's disapearance, but I didn't actually think I could be correct............just goes to show! I wonder if he went looking for Gold??? This has definately renewed my interest (I was thinking of giving up on Brazillai) so I will now look forward to finding new info

Deborah

davidcarca
11-03-2009, 6:09 PM
Baptisms of children of William and Mary Porter at Riseley, 1813 onwards

24 July 1814 Gerard
2 Nov 1815 Christopher
28 Dec 1817 Sarah
29 Apr 1821 Charlotte
27 July 1823 Barzillai
11 Sept 1825 Ann
28 Sept 1828 Eliza
4 Aug 1831 William
21 Jan 1834 Jane
21 Jan 1834 Susan

Regards

David

JPBeds
11-03-2009, 9:02 PM
William Porter married Mary Mitchell at Riseley on 20 Dec 1811
William could be son of John & Eliz Porter baptised Riseley 8 Jun 1794

Noticed Solomon Porter married Charlotte Dickins on 13 Apr 1812
Solomon was baptised at Riseley on 21 Nov 1790 also son of John & Eliz Porter

willy
09-04-2010, 8:01 AM
Hello Dedorah,
Yes I can tell that Barzillai migrated to South Australia. He's my GGG Grandfather. I have located where he is buried. In Victoria a place called Timor, near Maryborough he died on 19/8/1894. I have compiled at family tree ( not complete ) from Barzillai . If you want to send me an Email send to williscrew AT exemail DOT com DOT au

Regards
Paul Willis
Hello

I'm looking for Brazillai Porter who was born in Risley in 1823. He married Sophia Flavell in 1843. The only reference I can find in the Census is in 1841 when he lived at home with parents William & Mary in which he is named as Bassillia. I really thought this would be an easy one to find, but I'm totally lost...........I'm beginning to think he must have emigrated, or was taken by aliens |laugh1|

Deborah

Susan Porter
07-04-2011, 1:10 AM
Hello

Deborah

Dear Deborah, I am a great great grandaughter of Bazillai Porter (whose parents were William and Mary) who immigrated to Australia (at about age 20) and lived in Dublin, South Australia for many years. My father, B..... J..... Porter has a great deal of information about Bazillai, his life in Australia and his decendants, and he woud be happy to share this with you. Please contact me for his email address. Susan Porter