PDA

View Full Version : No Records

bigdave
09-03-2009, 8:52 PM
Hello,
My mother was very secretive about her early family history, every thing that I know has been gleaned through snippets of information passed on to my sister by our mother and researched by me, all of which falls into place with our aunts and uncles whome we have met and shared holidays with and three living cousins, I do not remember my so called grandfather and grandmother, who I now think were uncle and aunt, Mother said she was born in London, her mothers name was Anne Elizabeth Jenkins born in Llanbadarn Aberystwyth 1869, mother says her father was a knight of the Realm a Liberal MP who was a married man, therefore she was born out of wedlock, hence the secrecy, on 13th May 1911. I can not find any record of her birth. On the 1911 census s Anne Elizabeth was living and working as a servant in Battersea London, mother "would"have to be born just after the census was taken, just to make things even more difficult. They went to live in Llanbadarn around 1916 as Anne Elizabeth was ill and died a spinster on 29th march 1917.
Here is the question, would it be worth a day at The Battersea Library to search for parish, hospital, school, church or news paper records.
Any thoughts would be welcome.
David|banghead|:)

Jan1954
09-03-2009, 8:59 PM
Hello David,

Not an answer to your question, but some more questions for you, I'm afraid.

Do you have a copy of your parents' marriage certificate? If so, is there an entry under your mother's father's name and occupation? How old does it say that your mother was? Does this match with her having been born in 1911?

If not, lay your hands on a copy.

What was your mother's full maiden name, by the way?

Astoria
09-03-2009, 9:11 PM
I can't do the posh quote bits, but I found this

Ann Elizabeth JENKINS Registered June Quarter 1868 - Aberystwith 11b 68

If you don't already have the certificate, I think it would be a good purchase.

bigdave
09-03-2009, 9:32 PM
Hi Jan
Mary Elizabeth Jenkins married 11th May 1932 aged 20, two days before her birthday in The Registry Office Aberystwyth my aunt Jean was a witness, No fathers name entered.I have found other Mary Elizabeth's but they do'nt match up, I am very sure of my facts, I am sure the father would not have allowed her to register the birth because of who he was, and he was a congregationalist!!!:):):).
David

Astoria
09-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Is there a book in this, perhaps a TV special, BBC 2 drama. |blush|

Jan1954
09-03-2009, 10:25 PM
On the 1911 census s Anne Elizabeth was living and working as a servant in Battersea London, mother "would"have to be born just after the census was taken

I have found other Mary Elizabeth's but they do'nt match up
Okay, have you considered this birth registration:

Wandsworth district, June quarter, volume 1d, page 687 - there is a birth registration for a Mary E.J.D. Jenkins

Wandsworth covered Battersea and there could be some clues in the other middle names.

If you have not ordered this certificate in the past, and are now considering it, you could always ask for a reference check using Mary's mother's name.

Worth a punt?

bigdave
09-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Astoria I do'nt have the birth certificate, I do have her death cert, and have traced her on the censuses, witnesses and family members known to me are there.
Finbar no it is'nt L G, although my mother spoke of him and other liberals visiting the house. I just wish I could find the proof, do'nt think I will some how.
David:)

bigdave
09-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks for that Jan
:):) David