PDA

View Full Version : Lambeth Workhouse 1855

Richard Miller
08-03-2009, 2:46 PM
Hi B G forum members

It looks as if my Great grandmother Mary Ann Watts was born in Lambeth Workhouse which was on Princes (later Black Prince) Road. According to her birth cert she was born at 2.45 am on 9th July 1855. No father is given on the cert and the mother's name is given as Ann Watts.

Can anyone tell me if there are any records of admissions to this workhouse located anywhere, that might give a little more detail particular of who Ann Watts parents or siblings may have been and especially if there is a workhouse record of who the father may have been?

Regards

Richard

Geoffers
08-03-2009, 2:55 PM
The standard online resource is workhouses.org.uk
In the search engine on the site, enter Lambeth and then search.

You'll get a list of hits - the first three are census returns - click on number 4 and then scroll down to the bottom of the lengthy page until you get to 'records' - this will list the different records that survive for the workhouses and where they are held.

Richard Miller
13-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Hi Geoffers

Thanks for your reply. I have followed your instructions and located information about Lambeth Workhouses, the records of which appear to be in the London Metropolitan Archives and not online at present.

Regards

Richard

Geoffers
13-03-2009, 1:47 PM
Thanks for your reply. I have followed your instructions and located information about Lambeth Workhouses, the records of which appear to be in the London Metropolitan Archives and not online at present.

If it helps at all, I undertsand that LMA are in the process of digitizing their records to put them online. I don't know if this includes workhuse records, but I believe there is some information on their web-site as to the extent of records being made available.

Richard Miller
08-04-2009, 6:37 PM
Hi Geoffers

I have now tried to access the LMA records online which has made me more confused than before concerning Mary Ann Watts and her mother Ann Watts.

I have not been able to locate any admissions and discharge data for the Princes Road Workhouse in Lambeth in the 1850's and 1860's in the LMA records online, for either an Ann Watts or a Mary Ann Watts.
I am aware that another Workhouse existed in Renfrew Road Lambeth, but that was not built until 1871. It looks like only the admissions and discharge data for 1912 to 1913 in the Renfrew Road workhouse has been transcribed.

However I have located a birth entry in the LMA records online, for Mary Ann Watts with a mother Ann Watts and no father in the London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1834-1906 Having viewed the original document online it clearly states that Mary Ann Watts was born on 6th Aug 1855 in the Workhouse....

This is a different from the birth certificate which I have obtained from the GRO which is a copy of an original and states that Mary Ann Watts was born on 9th Jul 1855 the daughter of Ann Watts (with no father mentioned) in the Lambeth Workhouse on Princes Road Lambeth.

Any suggestions to resolve this mystery would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Richard

Kerrywood
08-04-2009, 11:00 PM
However I have located a birth entry in the LMA records online, for Mary Ann Watts with a mother Ann Watts and no father in the London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1834-1906 Having viewed the original document online it clearly states that Mary Ann Watts was born on 6th Aug 1855 in the Workhouse....

This is a different from the birth certificate which I have obtained from the GRO which is a copy of an original and states that Mary Ann Watts was born on 9th Jul 1855 the daughter of Ann Watts (with no father mentioned) in the Lambeth Workhouse on Princes Road Lambeth.

The online document you are looking at is a page from the baptism register. The date of 6 Aug 1855 is when Mary Ann Watts was baptised. Scroll to the top and you will see the heading When Baptized. No information is given in this source about her date of birth.

Kerrywood

Richard Miller
10-04-2009, 2:40 PM
Hi Kerrywood

Silly me I missed the obvious.

Do you or anyone else know about the Admissions and Discharges data for this workhouse?

Regards

Richard

Peter Goodey
10-04-2009, 3:10 PM
Actually the workhouse records are catalogued online on London Generations. I'm afraid don't see any surviving Admission and Discharge Registers covering 1855 but it would be as well to check for yourself. A search phrase of 'guardians' should do the trick.

Richard Miller
10-04-2009, 3:40 PM
Hi Peter

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked out the LMA following your advice and found that they have plenty of records covering the 1845 to 1865 period including the following:-
1848 - 1859 Norwood Schools, Elder Road, West Norwood: Admission and Discharge Register,
1835 - 1864 Orders of removal inwards,
1834 - 1930 Orders of removal outwards,
1837 - 1929 Registers of orders of removal and adjudication,
1850 - 1927 Registers of orders of removal and adjudication inwards,
1835 - 1929 Rough Settlement examinations,
1855 Princes Road Workhouse: Creed Register,
but no sign of any Admission and Discharge Registers until the late 1860's for the Princes Road Workhouse
Might anyone of the above records give any personal details of the inmates of the Workhouse?

Regards

Richard

Kerrywood
10-04-2009, 5:18 PM
If I remember correctly, the Creed Register for Princes Road at this date gives only basic information such as date of admission, name, year of birth (as reported), religious creed, date of birth and sex of the child, date of discharge, and possibly "where discharged to", if to another infirmary or institution. That's about all.

By far the most useful records for Lambeth at this date are the series of Rough Settlements, which can be full of family information. But if your relative was admitted only for the purposes of giving birth and was not a regular workhouse inmate, there may not be be any settlement records. It's worth a look though, if you can get to the LMA. If not, LMA offers a comprehensive research service, at some cost. :(

Kerrywood