PDA

View Full Version : Boer War -William Clark(e)

bearkin
18-02-2005, 10:17 PM
I am trying to trace my greatgranfather but have come to a brick wall. I know he fought in the Boer War and as wondering if finding his war records would help get pass the impasse, or only tell me what I already know. I have his marriage licence, so I know he was born around 1866, his father's name and profession, and that he married in 1898. His profession then is not readable but in 1905 he was a tram conductor. But none of this seems to help us locate him.

Chelsea pensioners' hospital tell he was in Army Ordnance Corp, Royal brigade and King's Own Yorshire Light Infantry. With so many units does that mean he was in more the just the Boer War? He seems a bit old to be in WWI as well. In his photo he has two medals, one seems to have many bars.

They gave us a number: A/318754.
What is the significance of this number?

He was out-pension in 26/11/1919.
He was in-pension in 14/10/1927.
What does this mean?

We have searched WO97 and found nothing.

We are thinking of having a search done for us, but are not really where it would be worth investing the money.

Any answers to the questions and advice where to go next would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

peter

Geoffers
18-02-2005, 11:42 PM
I am trying to trace my greatgranfather...I know he fought in the Boer War....I know he was born around 1866, and that he married in 1898. His profession then is not readable but in 1905 he was a tram conductor. Chelsea pensioners' hospital tell he was in Army Ordnance Corp, Royal brigade and King's Own Yorshire Light Infantry......He seems a bit old to be in WWI as well. In his photo he has two medals, one seems to have many bars.
They gave us a number: A/318754. What is the significance of this number?
He was out-pension in 26/11/1919. He was in-pension in 14/10/1927. What does this mean? We have searched WO97 and found nothing.
Out-pension - someone who was not resident in the Royal Hospital and received his pension through a district office.
In-pension - someone who was resident in the Royal Hospital.

You have the chap's name and father's name - have you tried searching the 1881 census?

If he possibly fought in WW1 - have you tried searching the online medal card index on documentsonline? The South African (Boer) War - he should appear in the medal roll at Kew (document class WO100) - this will confirm his unit.

As you have found nothing in WO97, have you tried the pension records at Kew? TNA has an online leaflet to help you get started
http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=15

The number you have from Chelsea is, I believe, the reference number for admission to pension
Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

bearkin
19-02-2005, 12:16 PM
Thank you Geoffers,

I have searched both 1881 and 1871 censuses. I have about 6 possible families, but none are by any means good fits (I am beginning to suspect his father died young or changed profession), and I am hoping something in his army records will help narrow my area down. Even knowing which part of the country he came from would be a help.

I will certainly try the pensions and army rolls.

Thanks again,

Pete

bearkin
20-02-2005, 3:33 PM
Hi Geoffers,

I have had a good look at the information on pensions in the link you provided and think I know where to go now. There is one thing that has been puzzling us for sometime which I hope you might help to clarify. As my greatgrandfather had no obvious diability, we have always assumed that he qualified to go into Chelsea Hospital through long service. However, other than being in the Boer War, there is no family memory of him serving elsewhere. On my Grandad's birth certificate in 1905 my greatgrandad puts his profession as tram conductor. How long would one need to serve to qualify for a service pension? Was it possible at that time to go back into civilian life between conflicts, but still qualify for your pension?

thanks,

Pete

Geoffers
20-02-2005, 4:36 PM
I have had a good look at the information on pensions in the link you provided and think I know where to go now. There is one thing that has been puzzling us for sometime which I hope you might help to clarify. As my greatgrandfather had no obvious disability, we have always assumed that he qualified to go into Chelsea Hospital through long service. However, other than being in the Boer War, there is no family memory of him serving elsewhere. On my Grandad's birth certificate in 1905 my greatgrandad puts his profession as tram conductor. How long would one need to serve to qualify for a service pension?I believe the standard length of service for pension was 20 years (I'll have to check that), however, being born about 1866, he could have enlisted in 1882 and retired after the South African War.

There are about 6,000 pre-WW1 disability pensions (RN and army) in a TNA file. This is searchable on TNA's online catalogue (formerly PROCAT) - it may be worth checking, just in case. In the mandatory field, just enter his surname in the class field enter the TNA reference PIN71.

As to not knowing of any injury - I believe that many who have been to war, understandably do not wish to talk of their experience - possibly your grandad was in this category?

Geoffers

bearkin
20-02-2005, 9:19 PM
Thanks again Geoffers. One further question, if I may. According to Chelsea, he started his out-pension in 26/10/1919. Does that mean he finished his 20 years then, if this was a service pension, or could he have finished earlier as you suggested but did n't claim it until then.

Thanks again,

Pete

Geoffers
20-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Thanks again Geoffers. One further question, if I may. According to Chelsea, he started his out-pension in 26/10/1919. Does that mean he finished his 20 years then, if this was a service pension, or could he have finished earlier as you suggested but did n't claim it until then.
Purely a guess, but to me it would suggest that he finished his service then. It is possible that the service was split between the war in South Africa and WW1.

Did you check the medal card index on documents online?

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

mike_coyle
31-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Sorry to be 4 years out but.... I just stumbled on your posting whilst searching for 'Conductors'. Its worth noting that the connection you show with the Ordnance Corps means that he might have been a 'Conductor' in the Corps. This is the Honourable and Ancient Appointment of Conductor. Its the oldest and most senior NCO appointment in the British Army (and a few others). You can find out more at: www.rlc-conductor.info. There's even a Roll of Honour' where he might be listed. I'll be taking a look for you. Regards, Mike