PDA

View Full Version : Marriage Lookup please 1920 ish

LancsLass
05-03-2009, 9:36 AM
Hi

Looking for some help with a possible marriage in Canada (Quebec?).

Family records tell me that Robert Scotland Liddell (author born Scotland 1885) was married to Eva Jane Kay (born 1895). I can find no record of their marriage in the UK.

However yesterday I found an inbound passenger record indicating that Robert and Eva Jane entered the UK from Quebec in Jan 1925. The record definitely shows Robert as British but Eva Jane's entry has been crossed out. I am now guessing that they might have might have married in Canada indeed A****y shows a possible record but I am not subscribed for worldwide and from what I have read on this forum there isn't a freebmd type service for Quebec (apologies if I have misunderstood and could be doing this myself)

Would some very kind person with access to Canadian records have a look for a marriage record. Or alternatively a port entry to see whether he travelled into Canada alone?

Robert published various books about the WW1 using his full name and he uses it in the UK census so I feel fairly sure that the full Robert Scotland Liddell would be the most likely name to find on a marriage certificate.

Many Many thanks

AdeleE
05-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Robert Scotland Liddell married Eva Jane Kay on May 21, 1925 in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.

The marriage appears in this index on the British Columbia Archives Vital Statistics website:

http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/sn-3CDA15A/gbsearch/Marriages

Robert travelled to Canada on the Montrose, leaving Liverpool on 3 Apr 1925, arriving St John, New Brunswick on 12 April 1925. He is recorded on the passenger list as 39, single, author, born Lauder, Scotland, languages: English, French, German, Russian. His destination address is Friend Miss E Kay, 4522 Main St, Vancouver. His nearest relatives at departure are: Parents Mr & Mrs Liddell, The Gables, Chaldon, Catesham. He will be travelling inland on the CPR (Canadian Pacific Railway). He is being admitted for 6 months as a non-immigrant.

His passport # is 162, issued at Leipsig 19 Jul 1923.

Adele

LancsLass
05-03-2009, 2:00 PM
Adele

THANK YOU so much for such a complete answer.

Robert is an interesting character and mentioned in letters from my great uncle but I have puzzled over the apparent riddle of his marriage for many years.

Patience is essential to this 'hobby' of ours but even more is helpful friends.

Best regards

Sarah