PDA

View Full Version : Where would they study surgeryin Berlin?

Eviand
02-03-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm exploring a Dutch ancestor who basically received a scholarship from the Dutch Army to study medicine (in Netherlands) and surgery (in Berlin). How or where can I put some substance to this? He would have completed his studies by September 1898 when he set sail for Indonesia still serving with the Dutch Army.

Can anyone help?

Browneyes
02-03-2009, 11:00 PM
If no one has posted by tomorrow I'll do a bit of searching for you. There was the Academy for Military Doctors at the Royal Medical-Surgical Friedrich-Wilhelm-Institute but I don't know what dates that covers yet. :)

Eviand
02-03-2009, 11:09 PM
If no one has posted by tomorrow I'll do a bit of searching for you. There was the Academy for Military Doctors at the Royal Medical-Surgical Friedrich-Wilhelm-Institute but I don't know what dates that covers yet. :)

Thanks Browneyes, I would appreciate anything you come up with. I've tried many internet searches since early September 2008 with little success. Thanks again.

Geoffers
03-03-2009, 8:31 AM
In case you haven't tried them, you may possibly find something to help at Het Nationaal Archief (http://www.en.nationaalarchief.nl/default.asp) or via the online catalogue genlias (http://www.genlias.nl/en/page0.jsp)

Apologies if you've already tried them both.

Browneyes
03-03-2009, 9:21 PM
Ok, info so far - you might already know all this.

Netherlands.
A new law was introduced in 1865. It introduced a new category of medical practitioners called the "artsen". Before this time there were three categories - physicians (trained in universities), surgeons (private training then exams before provincial medical committees) & military medical officers (attended the medical school at Utrecht who had their own examination board).

Previous to 1865 medical schools:
Middelberg, Haarlem, Hoorn, Alkmaar, amsterdam, Rotterdam & the Utrecht Military School.

After 1865:
University of Groningen, Leyden University & University of Amsterdam (UvA). The Utrecht Military Medical School was integrated with the Amsterdam School.

Also found references to Coolsingel Hospital University. Here the students often worked as medical assistants in municipal hospitals in order to gain the experience required by the 1865 law.

and references to the Dutch Society for the Promotion of Medicine (haven't looked into that).

I don't speak Dutch unfortunately but now know that "geschiedenis" means 'history'!

:) to be continued....

Might help (if you're happy) to know your ancestors name & DOB (pm me if you prefer) in case I come across any lists of names.

Browneyes x

Browneyes
03-03-2009, 9:41 PM
PS. I came across info about this man who seems to have followed a similar geographical path to your man.

Christiaan Eijkman (1858-1930, born Netherlands) served as a medical officer with the Netherlands Indies Army.

He studied at:
University of Amsterdam (c.1883)
University of Berlin (1885-86)

Administrator at Javanese Medical School, Jakarta, Indonesia
Teacher at the University of Utrecht (1896-98)
Professor of Public Health and Forensic Medicine at the University of Utrecht (1898-1928)

Later became an important scientist, Nobel Prize winner in 1929.

Browneyes
08-03-2009, 6:45 PM
Something you might be interested in:

http://www.zum.de/whkmla/region/lowcountries/neth18871914.html