PDA

View Full Version : Scanning 2 page document into 1

v.wells
27-02-2009, 5:29 PM
I know how to scan to pc with 1 page docs. Saves as .jpg and then I can attach to email, but how do I do a 2 page document and incorporate it into a single file for attachment. It seems silly to have to send both pages separately.

I have acrobat,vista, Ms Works, Open office. I have found that when I send an Open Office doc. not everyone can open them - must depend on the version they have.

Yes, I am stupid with this kind of thing.:D

busyglen
27-02-2009, 6:13 PM
I'd like to know this also V. :)

I haven't had to send two pages before, but I would have thought it would be ok in pdf format. I will have to have a look at my scanner and see if it gives me the option for two pages. I know that it ask me if I want to scan anything else after the first scan, but if I say yes, it would give it a separate file number. Mmmm?

Obviously the brainy ones will be along soon to tell us. ;)

Glenys

v.wells
27-02-2009, 6:18 PM
I'd like to know this also V. :)

I haven't had to send two pages before, but I would have thought it would be ok in pdf format. I will have to have a look at my scanner and see if it gives me the option for two pages. I know that it ask me if I want to scan anything else after the first scan, but if I say yes, it would give it a separate file number. Mmmm?

Obviously the brainy ones will be along soon to tell us. ;)

Glenys

Yes Glenys, mine also asks if I want to scan anything else and then gives it a separate file. It is annoying when I want them together.

Browneyes
27-02-2009, 6:22 PM
Usually :) when you scan the document you'll have an option to scan another before saving. Then both can be saved in the same place.

Alternatively you could copy and paste them both into one word document - you might find when you click paste they are huge pictures...just right click, go into format picture and change the size (leave 'lock aspect ratio' ticked otherwise you'll be there for ages!)

If still stuck let us know what scanner you have and I'll find the instructions..

Browneyes
PS there are ways to change the jpg thingy

v.wells
27-02-2009, 6:39 PM
Thanks Browneyes! I'll have a go at it. I have a new scanner Canon so will be the first time using it - should be fun! :D

busyglen
27-02-2009, 6:41 PM
Actually, I have just remembered that I scanned a two page document last year to send to someone....I think my scanner asks before I scan it (as well as if I want to scan another one afterwards, when it would show as a separate file). I must try it out when I have a moment. My scanner is a HP PSC1510 All in one, and I do have a manual!

Hope you get it sorted V.

Glenys

Mutley
I've just tried it with my little Brother ;)
Does not want to know.

However, I can reduce the image from A4 to A5 and copy. Then put the two A5 pages on the scanner and scan them as one A4 page.

busyglen
Thanks Browneyes! I'll have a go at it. I have a new scanner Canon so will be the first time using it - should be fun! :D
Good Luck!! |hug|

Glenys

busyglen
27-02-2009, 6:43 PM
Does not want to know.

However, I can reduce the image from A4 to A5 and copy. Then put the two pages on the scanner and scan them as one A4 page.
Ah...now that's clever! I always knew you were the one with the brains!;)

Sorry Browneyes, I don't mean that you haven't ! :o

Glenys

Mutley
27-02-2009, 6:53 PM
Ah...now that's clever! I always knew you were the one with the brains!;)

Sorry Browneyes, I don't mean that you haven't ! :o

Glenys

Thank you Glenys, I keep 'em in my pocket just in case I need them now and again. |laugh1|

Browneyes
27-02-2009, 6:54 PM
Does not want to know.

Yeah well siblings can be a bit stubborn... :D

You can copy them to the clipboard too for pasting to one file :D ...but sometimes the clipboard is pretty elusive...

Browneyes x

v.wells
27-02-2009, 7:00 PM
Used something called MP Navigator and it took seconds to scan a double sided 2 page letter. It produced a .pdf file and is all together and has the option to email which I did.

Thanks everyone for your input. Technology is marvelous when it does your thinking for you :D

Glenys my other scanner is an HP all in one too, but slooow compared to this one.

Mutley
27-02-2009, 7:03 PM
If anyone can do it Cannon can.....
Just going to go and beat up my little Brother :)

Browneyes
27-02-2009, 7:08 PM
|jumphappy Glad you've sorted it.

Aren't scanners great. :)

v.wells
27-02-2009, 7:09 PM
Don't hurt him too hard! You might need him! :D

Geoff Wycherley
27-02-2009, 7:56 PM
Reading your problem with open office.doc. I use the full open office suite I have found that the programme will open most files into an open.doc format, everything you save willbe saved as ..........doc to get over the problem of sending a file I found that I had to save the file as a 'save as' you then type your file name and were you see the bar showing the open.doc format you should be able to click on this it will give you then a list of file formats click on the one you want, you should then be able to send your document. ( I trust I have explained this correctly). Unless the receiver of your file operates a open dock programme they will never be able to the sent file.

Regarding the scanning you should be able to save your scans to a pdf format, the Lexmark I use allows you to scan any number of documents as a pdf file, when finished it shows all the scans as one file.
I found quite a few freeeware sites offering different pdf programmes, which cover file formatting and a clever one that will merge or split pdf files.

Hope I have been of some help.

regards
Geoff W

Ed McKie
01-03-2009, 3:45 AM
Most scanners that will scan docs come with an OCR programme. So if you are talking about typed or printed docs then there is no problem with scanning into a single document which is usually the normal way that the programme will deal with multi page. However handwritten pages would be a different story.

cheers..Ed

jmduke
01-03-2009, 5:36 AM
As others have mentioned, your scanner software should allow you to combine two or more scans into a single document. If not, you can combine the scans in Adobe Acrobat. Simply open one of the scans you want in your combined file in Acrobat, click Document on toolbar, click Insert Pages on the drop down menu, the Select File to Insert box will appear, find the file containing the scan you wish to add, after clicking, you will be asked whether you want it before or after the current page, and your done.

JMD

Chris Doran
01-03-2009, 8:49 PM
Many photo editors, e.g. IrfanView (free), have the capability to generate "panorama" images by appending two images side-by-side or one above the other. IrfanView can also create multipage image files in a number of formats (not JPEG, but TIF should be OK), but beware that not all image viewers will advance beyond the first page. Or you could just use WinZIP or similar.