PDA

View Full Version : Using PhpGedView

tomg
26-02-2009, 6:20 PM
Hi,

I'm using PhpGedView to document my Family History.

It seems to fit the bill quite well I keep my main "website" on a server then download a gedcom then import it in a web server on my laptop so that I can carry it with me on research trips and if I'm away from the Internet. I can also up load the gedcom to say Genes Reunited.

However, I find it is a bit cluncky when it comes to say adding a Source Citation. I have a number of "sources" i.e. Certificates, Ancestry.co.uk, Familysearch.org, freebmd.org.uk, Wigston records Office and so on.

With say a Marriage Certificate. When I have information on several people Bride, Groom and the Fathers plus occupations, Addresses witnesses. To add the Citation to of the facts takes a fair bit of typing.

Example.

I add the citation to the Marriage, Address and Occupation of the Bride & Groom That's six times I have to enter the information.

Is that just a limitation gedcom/PhpGedView?

Have I got the wrong end of the Stick?

Tom.

MarkJ
26-02-2009, 6:27 PM
You can just copy and paste Tom - but I agree that isn't ideal.

I use phpGedView myself and haven't noticed this specific problem. I have to use the copy and paste method when adding a note for example which I want to add to a spouse as well (or child or whatever..).

I tend to have a source - e.g marriage certificate - which is allocated a number in phpGedView of say S01. Then, when I have another entry where the source is a marriage cert, I use S01 (from the drop down menu thing when adding an entry). But I don't use the citation side as a rule - I just add a note to the marriage later with the actual details.

I am happy to see if I can work it out though. Will have a look later this evening. In the meantime, have you looked through the phpGedView website FAQs and the wiki? They are pretty good at covering most of the problems users come up against.

Mark

MarkJ
26-02-2009, 7:00 PM
Tom,

I created a new test gedcom and added some random data.
I then added a new source - i.e the marriage certificate. In the Citation details, I plonked a made up vicar, then in the Source Text box, I added some witnesses.That was all in the male entry. After accepting the changes, both the male and female have the details I added.

Or am I not quite getting the point? I suspect that you have somewhat more complex requirements than I have there!

Mark

tomg
26-02-2009, 7:54 PM
Tom,

I created a new test gedcom and added some random data.
I then added a new source - i.e the marriage certificate. In the Citation details, I plonked a made up vicar, then in the Source Text box, I added some witnesses.That was all in the male entry. After accepting the changes, both the male and female have the details I added.

Or am I not quite getting the point? I suspect that you have somewhat more complex requirements than I have there!

Mark

Well I was thinking more along the lines. Cross referencing. I agree that if you change the Marriage for the Groom then the changes are reflected in Brides view. But that is because a Marriage is part of am "F" Family and not an "I" Individual record.

The Grooms fathers occupation should be on the Marriage Certificate. And in Census records. Thus if you have a Citation from both you can be more certain that the two people are related. So if you have a father and his occupation is constant on say his Marriage Cert, The Birth and Marriage Certs of his offspring, his Death Cert and the Census. Then you can be more certain you have the right connections.

Yes I know you can cut and paste. Even then you kinda have two fields you want to cut and paste. The Citation Field and the "text" field.

It looks to me also that there is no way for a non admin person to add an unlinked individual.

Tom.

MarkJ
26-02-2009, 8:09 PM
Well I was thinking more along the lines. Cross referencing. I agree that if you change the Marriage for the Groom then the changes are reflected in Brides view. But that is because a Marriage is part of am "F" Family and not an "I" Individual record.

Yes - it is the F record and thus the details are carried between the two.

The Grooms fathers occupation should be on the Marriage Certificate. And in Census records. Thus if you have a Citation from both you can be more certain that the two people are related. So if you have a father and his occupation is constant on say his Marriage Cert, The Birth and Marriage Certs of his offspring, his Death Cert and the Census. Then you can be more certain you have the right connections.

I see what you mean - but I don't think there is a way to do that in phpGedView (or in any other program? Not sure about that). It might be worth popping that on the phpGedView feature requests - number 5 option here -
http://www.phpgedview.net/support.php

The developers are pretty good at adding new ideas ;)

Yes I know you can cut and paste. Even then you kinda have two fields you want to cut and paste. The Citation Field and the "text" field.

It looks to me also that there is no way for a non admin person to add an unlinked individual.

Tom.

I don't think they can Tom. The phpGedView wiki states -

The only person who can carry out this task is the Administrator.
The Admin can access this feature via the Administrator's menu.

Perhaps it isn't a commonly requested thing? I am sure that adding that wouldn't be too hard - so it must be either unpopular (i.e not asked for) or something they left out deliberately for some reason.

In that case, I would probably ask a non-admin user to send me the details via email or another contact method and then add the individual myself.

Mark

MarkJ
26-02-2009, 8:14 PM
Tom,

Just nosing around the phpGedView website and came across this -

http://wiki.phpgedview.net/en/index.php?title=Proper_use_of_sources

Does the "Associated Events" bit perhaps help in your requirements?

Mark

tomg
26-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Tom,

Just nosing around the phpGedView website and came across this -

http://wiki.phpgedview.net/en/index.php?title=Proper_use_of_sources

Does the "Associated Events" bit perhaps help in your requirements?

Mark
Mark,

Thank your for the ideas,

With regards to adding an unrelated person.

My 2xGreat Grand Parents Have a wittiness of the Marriage by the name Lambert.

My 3xGreat Grandparents have a Step son in the 1851 Census by the name Lambert.
Then there is another Lambert (child) with a person that could me my 3xGreat Gand mother in the 1841 Census. I haven't Found 3xggf or 2xggf in the 1841 though.

Since Lambert is not a name in my tree I wanted to add theses people so that I maintain the link so to speak. As there may be a tenuous link to my tree.

I could add a second Husband to my 3xggm and put the Lamberts there but found it hard to break a link when I found I had the wrong parents for one person.

But that's really a question for some other area of the forum.

Regards,
Tom.

MarkJ
26-02-2009, 11:32 PM
How about creating a new gedcom - using the Lambert family as the basis for that? It would keep it seperate from the main tree, but, if you eventually link it up, you *should* be able to merge the two trees together (having first made a backup of the main tree in case it goes belly up!).

Mark

tomg
02-03-2009, 8:43 AM
I have found a partial solution.

If I add the Census via the Family then The Census is effectively added to both the Husband and Wife. Alas not the Children.

Regards,
Tom.