PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Edinburgh

slippery
26-02-2009, 1:58 PM
My gggrandad was Thomas Edinburgh (there are various spellings), on the 1851 London census his birth place is Chipping, Oxford, he was born about 1803. He married Charlotte Ransome in London in 1830.

From the IGI I have found;

Thomas Edingburgh christened 16 Oct 1803 Chipping Norton, parents Thomas Edingburgh and Sarah.

Could some kind person look at the Parish Records to see Sarah's surname.

Peter

Peter Goodey
26-02-2009, 3:30 PM
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. The baptism register won't show the mother's maiden name.

I would say that I've had a quick look at the Oxon Marriage Index for you and can't immediately spot a marriage that fits the circumstances.

Peter Goodey
26-02-2009, 3:33 PM
I forget to ask the traditional question...were there any useful witnesses at the 1830 wedding?

slippery
27-02-2009, 1:57 PM
Peter

All I have is from the Pallot's Marriage Index.

Thomas Edinburgh married Charlotte Ransome in 1830 at Whitechapel, St. Mary.

Peter

Sandyhall
27-02-2009, 6:07 PM
Hi
Oxfordshire Parish Records

Thomas Edingburgh christened 16 Oct 1803 Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, Father Thomas mother Sarah. The same as you have from the IGI.

There are no Marriages in Oxfordshire records for Thomas to a Sarah under any spelling of the name Edingburgh.

There is a marriage of a Thomas to a Mary in Chipping Norton.

There is a Marriage in Chipping Norton Parish Records of a William ? Edingborough. Widow of Over Norton to a Sarah Booth Spinster of Mary Le Bone (London) on 6 May 1800 by Banns

I have only looked at the Transcripts not the actual records.

Sandy

slippery
28-02-2009, 1:10 PM
Hi Sandy

Thanks for information I have what is supposed to be copies of actual parish records for both Thomas's birth and Williams Marriage. They were sent to me from an Edinburgh descendant in Australia but the are such bad copies you cannot read them.

I will have to go to Oxford to see the actual registers for my self.
Perhaps my Thomas never was married to Sarah, she could have been a widow of William Edingborough.

Are there any records of deaths in Chipping Norton?

Regards

Peter

Peter Goodey
28-02-2009, 1:48 PM
From where you are I would have thought your best initial step in research is the somewhat easier trip to London.

There you could -

1. Check the details of the 1830 marriage at the London Metropolitan Archives.

2. Spend some time in the Society of Genealogists library working through their collection of Oxfordshire material. They have an excellent collection of transcripts, indexes etc and for Chipping Norton itself they also have the microfilmed BTs. The SoG library catalogue (http://62.32.98.6/S10312UKStaff/OPAC/index.asp) is available online.

Sandyhall
28-02-2009, 1:52 PM
Hi
Sorry I didn't look for any Deaths but the IGI doesn't have anything.

The Transcription was a Photocopy in the Library at Banbury that I was looking at, it wasn't a very good one at that, there was a capitol letter for a second name that I couldn't make out.

Could he have been William Thomas and dropped the William.

I did just have a look to see if Thomas and Sarah had anymore children Christened in Chipping Norton on the IGI but there isn't any, nor are there any children christened to William and Sarah.

Sandy