PDA

View Full Version : Mystery abbreviation- can anyone help?

pamrushton
25-02-2009, 8:56 PM
My grandfather William Edward Perrie appears to have been deported from Montreal on the ship Letitia in 1930, and was landed at Liverpool, England on 21st June 1930. He travelled in 3rd class, and his entry in the incoming passenger list was under the heading DEPORTS. The passenger entry above his was dated and the word Gaol was written alongside. Grandfather's entry was also dated but had the abbreviation L.P.O. alongside it. Does anyone know what that might mean? Can anyone throw any light on why he may have been deported- perhaps illegally entered Montreal? He settled back in the area of his birth, married and my father was born,but eventually he emigrated to Australia on the 'ten pound pom' scheme in the 50s.

Browneyes
25-02-2009, 11:57 PM
All I can think is that maybe he was described as a 'Leading Petty Officer' and perhaps there's more to his story that hasn't emerged yet?

Kerrywood
26-02-2009, 12:55 AM
My grandfather William Edward Perrie appears to have been deported from Montreal on the ship Letitia in 1930, and was landed at Liverpool, England on 21st June 1930. He travelled in 3rd class, and his entry in the incoming passenger list was under the heading DEPORTS. The passenger entry above his was dated and the word Gaol was written alongside. Grandfather's entry was also dated but had the abbreviation L.P.O. alongside it. Does anyone know what that might mean?

I think you'll find the abbreviation is L.P.C. (not L.P.O.). This stands for Likely Public Charge, and there's an explanation on this forum (http://www.theshipslist.com/Forms/faq.html) (scroll down about 2/3rds of the page).

The date given next to this (8 April 1930) probably refers to his arrival in Canada, on the SS Caronia. According to the outgoing passenger list for the Caronia, she had left Liverpool for Halifax on 28 March 1930. Seems to fit?

Kerrywood

Browneyes
26-02-2009, 2:34 PM
That does make more sense.

There's an informative article on the Marianopolis College website you might like to read:

http://faculty.marianopolis.edu/c.belanger/quebechistory/readings/CanadaandJewishRefugeesinthe1930s.html

daggers
26-02-2009, 4:20 PM
LPO could be Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, but more seriously, how about Liverpool Passport Office?
D