PDA

View Full Version : true or false letters after name

christanel
23-02-2009, 1:14 AM
I have a copy of a letter written by a man we will call John Smith, which doesn't affect the meaning of the acronyms at all.
His letter head states
John Smith, C.E., & Son
D'pl'ee.: S'c., Art, Build.' Constc.', SKL
T.U. - CRAFSTMEN - ERECTORS

It is set out exactly as I have set it out.

C.E is Civil Engineer I am sure as he describes himself as this in one of the census.

Any thoughts on the rest of the titles he has bestowed upon himself. It is quite possible that he made it up, he is turning out to be an inveterate liar.;)
Christina

Waitabit
23-02-2009, 8:55 AM
Is that a Diplomee of Science, Art & Building?
Never had one myself but would probably impress some uwary peoples.

christanel
23-02-2009, 10:10 AM
That sounds good to me Waitabit.
I wonder if the T.U is Trade Union of Craftsmen Erectors and if there is such a thing - can't find anything enlightening using google and what the heck is SKL.
Ah well I can console myself that he is not one of my mob.
Christina

trudy4656
23-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Did he have anything to do wth Finland?

Finnish Engineers´ Association SKL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trade_unions

Scroll down the page to Finland.

Trudy

christanel
23-02-2009, 8:19 PM
Hi Trudy
I haven't found a link to Finland but it could just be a matter of time.;)
Each census gives different birthplaces for he and his children, including USA and nowhere is there to be found any birth records for same children.
I wouldn't care if he was a full blown rogue but he is just seems to be a bit of a fantasist.
Christina

JRson
27-03-2009, 8:26 AM
John Smith, C.E., & Son
D'pl'ee.: S'c., Art, Build.' Constc.', SKL

I guess D'pl'ee.= Diploma (still a little weird)
S'c.= science
Build.= buiding
Constr.' = construction
SKL= skill or Suomen Kristillinen Liitto (Finnish Christian League)

We really have some discussions about it.

But what is " & Son" ?

Geoffers
27-03-2009, 8:41 AM
But what is " & Son" ?

Where a father and son are in business together. When the father dies or retires,the business is normally taken over by the son. Such firms can be handed down over several generations.

Peter Goodey
27-03-2009, 9:20 AM

T.U. implies that he, as an employer, recognises the relevant trade unions and pays trade union agreed wage rates.

Browneyes
27-03-2009, 9:32 AM
There are a couple of sites you might like to look at:

unionancestors.co.uk

unionhistory.info/links.php

I'll have a quick search on them and see if I can find anything that's relevant.

Browneyes
27-03-2009, 9:36 AM
What area/town are you looking at?

Peter Goodey
27-03-2009, 10:11 AM
It's not John Smith who was the Union member - it was the people who worked for him!

Browneyes
27-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Erm yes I realised that.

christanel
27-03-2009, 8:32 PM
Thanks for the renewed interest in this everyone and for the links Browneyes. I will pass them on to the friend on who's behalf I asked about this.
We are looking at London and later Essex. From the early 1900's most likely - the date on the piece of paper is missing but the son he is referring to would be about the right age to join him in business around this time.
Christina

Browneyes
27-03-2009, 10:48 PM
There seems to be a book (Without Blare of Trumpets by Sidney Fine) that discusses the role that the National Erector's Association and its Commissioner Walter Drew played in opposing the 'open shop movement' in America, 1919 - 1920 (open shop = a person could be employed whether they did or did not belong to a union but "in practice" usually only non-union workers were employed).

Mentions a "union-organized dynamiting campaign".

I wonder if your friend's gentleman was involved in that?

christanel
28-03-2009, 1:28 AM
Mentions a "union-organized dynamiting campaign".

I wonder if your friend's gentleman was involved in that?
I don't know whether his ancestor was involved but with all the grief this family have caused me over the last couple of months I feel like organising a "dynamiting campaign" of my own.

The information you have all given has been passed on and is appreciated.
Thank you.
Christina