PDA

View Full Version : LLANDERRY, MON

Frank W
22-02-2009, 9:47 PM
Where is it? Does it have an alternative name?

It is the birthplace of Sarah (maiden name possibly HUBBARD or COWLEY) who married Robert PERHAM. (The same birthplace name appears for her in Somerset 1881 and 1891 Censuses)

Google has only a reference to the crash of a Westland Whirlwind RAF aircraft there in 1941 but no location details are given.

Regards.......Frank W

Ladkyis
23-02-2009, 12:13 AM
I am inclined to agree with Finbar, I have never heard of Llanderry, Mon but I have been to Llandenny, Mon many times. My daughter went to playgroup in the village hall many years ago.

Any idea when Sarah was born?

Frank W
25-02-2009, 12:57 AM
Thanks for your thoughts on this. Its not a "brickwall" problem but more like a half brick looking for the wall it came from.
Usually there are clues to locations in FreeBMD entries but they have'nt been much use in this case.

The original place name may have been an English version, but the best guess I could make at a possible Welsh equivalent is Llanderi, and this is also very hard to find.

The nearest match I could find in Google was for Berllan-deri which is about 2Km SW of Raglan, and 1 Km NW of Twyn-y-Sheriff.
It is not too far from Llandenny but that is probably just coincidental.

The Llanderry name appears in several Welsh counties - CMN, PEM, and Powys & Dyfed in later sources, but only MON is of interest.

Regards.........Frank W