PDA

View Full Version : Catholic Churches in Ancoats Manchester uk

Buttonsinoz
22-02-2009, 5:01 AM
G'day |wave| i am trying to find baptism records for my uncles the last know address for them on the 1911 Census was Jersey St dwellings Ancoats Manchester, they were Catholic could anyone help me please.

Peter Goodey
22-02-2009, 7:46 AM
GenUKI, which I recommend bookmarking

http://www.genuki.org.uk/

has several finding aids. See in particular the Manchester pages.

Also try entering "Ancoats" on this page -

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/churchdb/search.html

You can check what may have been lodged in the archives here -

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?categoryID=448&documentID=464&pageNumber=6

Mona
22-02-2009, 11:29 AM
The RC church for Ancoats was St. Anne's. MANCHESTER & LANCASHIRE FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY has quite a few RC records indexed, I have found quite a few of my lot.

Catholic records index

Peter Goodey
22-02-2009, 1:02 PM
The RC church for Ancoats was St. Anne's.

Ancoats- St Alban (RC)
Ancoats- St Anne (RC)
Ancoats- St Joseph (RC)
Ancoats- St Michael (RC)

Barbara Wilkinson
22-02-2009, 2:48 PM
Ancoats- St Alban (RC)
Ancoats- St Anne (RC)
Ancoats- St Joseph (RC)
Ancoats- St Michael (RC)

... and all of those are available (dates may differ) at Manchester Central Library - see Peter's earlier link.
If you post details, someone may be able to look for you!

I would volunteer - but I have a large "shopping list" for MCL at the moment - and never seem to get a minute to get there ....!!
I will keep an eye on this post ...!

Mona
22-02-2009, 3:16 PM
Ancoats- St Alban (RC)
Ancoats- St Anne (RC)
Ancoats- St Joseph (RC)
Ancoats- St Michael (RC)

Of course Peter, I was thinking it was the only one left today, even though it is the oldest. Although in it's present incarnation, it looks more like a grain silo than a church!

Buttonsinoz
23-02-2009, 12:30 AM
|hug|To each and EVERY one of you, this brought tears to my eyes, the help is overwhelming, i can't say thank-you enough. I guess you all know i am in Aussie land so if anyone does have the time to look, that would be great, but if not i am so greatful for the info you guys have posted for me, laffin i guess you all know what i am going to be doing while you are all dreaming tonight.
Again thank -you all so much! |hug|

Buttonsinoz
23-02-2009, 7:50 AM
|computer| Er remember i told you i was blonde, well i have been here all day and do you think i can find what i am looking for NO!!!! but i am still looking it must be here what i am looking for! , again i would like to say THANK-YOU for the info |wave|

Toronto
24-02-2009, 12:49 AM
There is a Catholic church/school four streets to the west of Jersey street its on George Leigh street and close to Cornwall street. The map does not give a name for the church. The map dated 1894 does not show any other RC churches in the area of Jersey street.

I have saved you a copy of the map showing the street and the church

Contact me at morrisindATrogers.com. change AT to @ in the address.

Regards
Mike Morris
Toronto Canada

Toronto
24-02-2009, 12:57 AM
The churchs name is St Michaels.

St Michael (Served from St Joseph, Collyhurst)
George Leigh Street
Ancoats
Manchester
M4 5DG

Tel.: 0161 834 8828

Mike Morris
Toronto Canada
PS I use to walk pass this area to work on Ancoats Lane :))

Buttonsinoz
25-02-2009, 12:18 AM
OMG!!! thank -you Mike thank -you i am about to reply to you so please look out for e-mail Jersey St
|hug|

Buttonsinoz
25-02-2009, 9:46 AM
Did you get mail yet????

daisynook
02-03-2009, 5:40 PM
My relatives came from around this area and were all Catholics. They all attended Corpus Christi School and Church, Miles Platting. The Church closed down a year or so ago. It was originally run by the Norbertine order of monks so was classed as a Priory - see link http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/NewtonHeath/CorpusChristi.shtml

flamingo66
25-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Hi everyone, this is my first post as I have just registered! |wave|

I felt I had to post as I have recently started researching my family history for the name 'Collins', who go back a long way in Ancoats, Manchester.

I wanted to suggest if anyone has an interest/family history tie in Ancoats, that they have a go on the Manchester Image collection website (run by the Council) - its free, its full of old Manchester photos dating right back to the late 1800s, and you can search by street name! I've used this extensively to see what streets where my ancestors lived (addresses from censuses) looked like, and you do really get a feel for it when you see the photos!

Buttonsinoz: There are some great pictures of Jersey Street on there, also St Michael's RC Church and School (went down George Leigh Street last week just to have a look!), and many many more.

Sorry to rave on about it, but being new to all this it was like uncovering buried treasure! (I sound like a major geek!) |oopsredfa

Happy searching!

Buttonsinoz
26-04-2009, 3:16 AM

George Leigh Street
Ancoats
Manchester
M4 5DG

Mike Morris
Toronto Canada

Hey Mike thanks for all your help!!!
im looking for St Patricks Catholic Chapel if anyone knows of a phone number or an e-mail address that would be GREAT!!!!

Thank to all who have helped me

Buttonsinoz |jumphappy|hug|:D

Buttonsinoz
26-04-2009, 3:20 AM
My relatives came from around this area and were all Catholics. They all attended Corpus Christi School and Church, Miles Platting. The Church closed down a year or so ago. It was originally run by the Norbertine order of monks so was classed as a Priory - see link http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/NewtonHeath/CorpusChristi.shtml
G'day
Hey my mother came from there to. But i didn't know it until late last year
Do you know of anywhere they took in children, or where a young girl would go to become a Nun???
Thanks Buttonsinoz |wave|

Buttonsinoz
26-04-2009, 3:22 AM
Hi everyone, this is my first post as I have just registered! |wave|

I felt I had to post as I have recently started researching my family history for the name 'Collins', who go back a long way in Ancoats, Manchester.

I wanted to suggest if anyone has an interest/family history tie in Ancoats, that they have a go on the Manchester Image collection website (run by the Council) - its free, its full of old Manchester photos dating right back to the late 1800s, and you can search by street name! I've used this extensively to see what streets where my ancestors lived (addresses from censuses) looked like, and you do really get a feel for it when you see the photos!

Buttonsinoz: There are some great pictures of Jersey Street on there, also St Michael's RC Church and School (went down George Leigh Street last week just to have a look!), and many many more.

Sorry to rave on about it, but being new to all this it was like uncovering buried treasure! (I sound like a major geek!) |oopsredfa

Happy searching!

G'day Hey Welcome this is a GREAT site and there are Lot's & lots of nice people here. Thanks for the info

Buttonsinoz|wave|

flamingo66
26-04-2009, 7:54 AM
Hi Buttonsinoz,

St Patrick's is just over Oldham Road but comes under Collyhurst. My mum and grandmother went to church there but lived in Ancoats, and went to St Patrick's convent school, where the playground was on the roof of the building - I don't think Health and Safety woud have that these days!

St Patrick [ Combined parish of St. Patrick's, St Malachy's and St Edmunds ]
Livesey Street
Collyhurst
Manchester
M4 5HF
0161 839 1020
Sunday Mass: 9.30am, 11.30am (Signed Mass)
Weekdays Mon & Fri 9.30am, Sat 10am
Holyday Mass: 9.30am, 7.30pm
Confessions: 10.30-10.45am

Regards

Buttonsinoz
26-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Hey thank -you so much!!! now i have a phone number i can call them to see if they can help me, i am looking for 3 boys who were put into care by their father!!! thanks you so much

Buttonsinoz |hug|

Buttonsinoz
27-04-2009, 12:09 AM

George Leigh Street
Ancoats
Manchester
M4 5DG

Mike Morris
Toronto Canada

I found the church i was looking for, a lady in the UK did some research for me that's how i found the baptism info

Buttunsinoz|wave|