PDA

View Full Version : NIXON/BRANNEY/ANDERSON/CARVEL?IRVING

lynnegreen05
21-02-2009, 6:34 PM
Hi anyone out there who is researching their CUMBRIAN connections to their family.|wave|

I am new on this site today, and would love to hear from anyone who has any of these names in their family tree?|help|

I have lots of information linking us to Cleator Moor/Whitehaven areas in particular and recently visited to find out more - but would love to find someone else directly related to my ancestors.
Thanks
Lynne
:)

janz
24-02-2009, 10:56 AM
:)hI MY NAME IS JANET ISSOM NEE RIGG AND MY PATERNAL GRANDMOTHER
GREAT, I MEAN WAS MARTHA RUMNEY ANDERSON BORN IN CLEATOR 1882. ACCORDING TO WHAT I'VE FOUND OUT WE ARE DEFINITLY RELATED.BE PLEASED TO HEAR FROM YOU.
BEST WISHES JANET IN OZ:o

AudreyM
26-02-2009, 1:06 PM
Hello Lynne,

Welcome to the Cumbrian List.
Do you have any, dates or specific places etc.
for your Ancestors ?

Regards
AudreyM nee Miskelly
In Cumbria

lynnegreen05
27-02-2009, 8:10 PM
Hello Audrey
Thank you for getting in touch.
My mothers maiden name is Nixon and her father (Herbert) was born in Carlisle and he married Rose Ann Branney in Whitehaven on 29th Jan 1929. They moved to Halifax West Yorkshire for work 2 weeks before my mother was born in 1936. Herberts parents were Nixon and Irvings from Carlisle.
The family concentrated around Cleator Moor area.
Do you know anything about the Durham Ox Inn, Carlisle as this features in some old papers I have of my great uncle,William (Billy) Nixon who lived on Clayton Avenue in Cleator and is buried in St. Marys Church there- we visited last year to find his grave.

Is this any use to you:confused:
Thanks
Lynne

bob graham
11-03-2009, 7:37 PM
2 things. The durham ox can be found if you google durham ox carlisle and click on the save our streets reference. It was in the bottom of the town and probably demolished to make way for the 60's carbuncle currently inhabited by the city council. They want to knock the rest of the area down as it was badly flooded 5/6 years ago. Those plans are currently on hold while the consultants think of new ways to extort money. The police and fire stations are also down there.
Second. Carlisle and Cleator are not that close. True there is/was a direct rail link but think Huddersfield - Manchester and you have some idea. I think Audrey's advice for dates would help.
bob

lynnegreen05
14-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Thank you Bob for your reply - that really helps me - Cheers.
I will dig a bit deeper and see what I can find. Shame about the demolition - why do we tear down beautiful old buildings - it is a real shame would be nice to know what these looked like - someone must have a picture I would think?
Many thanks- if you ever need any help with any Yorkshire connections just ask.
Regards
Lynne

lynnegreen05
16-03-2009, 8:55 PM
:)hI MY NAME IS JANET ISSOM NEE RIGG AND MY PATERNAL GRANDMOTHER
GREAT, I MEAN WAS MARTHA RUMNEY ANDERSON BORN IN CLEATOR 1882. ACCORDING TO WHAT I'VE FOUND OUT WE ARE DEFINITLY RELATED.BE PLEASED TO HEAR FROM YOU.
BEST WISHES JANET IN OZ:o
Hi Janet
That is great to hear - I have not found this persons name yet in my tree. Do you know anymore about the lineage or connection?
Thanks
Lynne

janz
17-03-2009, 11:15 AM
|hug|HI MY GREATGRANDMOTHER MARTHA RUMNEY ANDERSON WAS BORN IN 1882 AT 55 TRUMPET TERRACE CLEATOR CUMBRIA. HER FATHER WAS MATTHEW ANDERSON BORN 1853 AN IRON ORE MINER HE MARRIED MARIA STOUTT IN 1874 AND WAS KILLED IN 1891.HIS WIFE IS LISTED AS A COW KEEPER AFTER HE DIEDTHEY HAD 5 CHILDREN AND MARIA HAD ANOTHER DAUGHTER AFTER MATTHEWS DEATH.THEIR ADDRESS IS LISTED AS 55 TRUMPET TERRACE CLEATOR. 3 OF THEIR CHILDREN WHERE BORN IN ALSTON THEN THE REST IN CLEATOR.I CAN GIVE YOU MOR INFORMATION REGARDING MY GREATGRANDMOTHER BUT I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU KNOW REGARDING THE ANDERSON FAMILY.KIND REGARDS JANZ IN OZ|angel|

lynnegreen05
22-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Hi Janz
Thanks for the reply.
My Andersons are originally from Ireland and Samuel Anderson (Born 1833) died at 52 Duke Street in Cleator Moor. He married a Rachel Black also Irish and she died in Frizington.
One of their children Samuel Anderson married Rose Ann Carvel of Cleator Moor - I have a picture of her but nothing further back than that. They are the parents of Rachel Anderson (1855) who married James Branney (1882) and I have pictures of both of these two and in fact visited James Grave recently in Halifax Cemetry and tiedied it up. They had a daughter Rose Ann Branney who is my mothers mum! Rose Ann married Herbert Nixon (of Carlisle) in Whitehaven. So you see my direct descendents are all Cumbrian of Irish descent.

Not sure where you Anderson names fit in as I have not come across them on the census data or lines yet but I am sure they will soon.

I wonder if anyone (help please???) can tell us if Trumpet St is near Duke Street??
Many thanks to all B-G responders.
Regards
Lynne:confused:

BarrettDG
14-03-2011, 1:07 PM
My Great Gran was Susan Carvel b abt 1859 married Peter Smith 1879 they lived Cleator/Cleator Moor, on Peters side there are also Irvings and Rollo Irvings and the name Irving also appears in their childred eg William Irving Smith & Jane Rollo Irving Smith. Im having no luck tracing Susan, all I have found is that on their wedding cert her fathers name is down as Thomas. Dont know if this is any help or if you can help me. Thanks Denise

lynnegreen05
20-04-2015, 7:22 AM
2 things. The durham ox can be found if you google durham ox carlisle and click on the save our streets reference. It was in the bottom of the town and probably demolished to make way for the 60's carbuncle currently inhabited by the city council. They want to knock the rest of the area down as it was badly flooded 5/6 years ago. Those plans are currently on hold while the consultants think of new ways to extort money. The police and fire stations are also down there.
Second. Carlisle and Cleator are not that close. True there is/was a direct rail link but think Huddersfield - Manchester and you have some idea. I think Audrey's advice for dates would help.
bob

This was really helpful having just been visiting the area. I spent many hours in Cleator Moor and district researching the ancestors. Will be going back to the Carlilse area. So thank you