PDA

View Full Version : Richard Hopkins - Publican

MaryFrances
21-02-2009, 4:16 PM
On my g.g.grandparents marriage certificate, Bethany Chapel, Cardiff, 1843, the groom's father is named as Richard Hopkins, Publican. In the 1830 Pigot's Directory for S. Wales, I have found an entry which reads "Packet House, Richard Hopkins, Strand". The page heading says "Swansea, etc." Would this cover Cardiff, would "Strand" be in Swansea? I don't really know where I am going with this, or what I am asking for, but any suggestions/help would be very much appreciated.

Ms Tarfgi
22-02-2009, 10:11 AM
There is a Strand in Swansea, but not in Cardiff as far as I know. Your gggrandmother possibly came from Cardiff and was married in her local chapel, although the groom came from Swansea.

I shouldn't think Pigotts page for Swansea would have covered Cardiff as they are about 40 miles apart.

Molly

Ms Tarfgi
22-02-2009, 12:45 PM
What was your gggrandmother's name?

There was a Richard Hopkins living in Swansea in 1851 who was an "eating house keeper" married to Mary. Both born in Swansea though.

MaryFrances
03-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Thanks, Ms Tarfgi. I have the birth certificate of one of his grandchildren with a rather odd address on it and, over this last weekend, discovered that it is possibly Richard Hopkin's pub. I am just waiting for a newspaper cutting to come to confirm it.