PDA

View Full Version : Request 4 Help from anyone living near Roath

kermie62
20-02-2009, 2:19 PM
Hello

Just discovered my greatx4 grandfathers sister, Mary Ann Strutt (formerly Rolfe) has a memorial plaque at the Roath Church.

Evelyn Fanny, daughter of John Bird, of Cardiff; died 1843, aged 13 months. Also Jemima, wife of John Bird; died 1858, aged 47. Also Mary Ann Strutt, widow of Joseph Strutt, of Isleworth, Middlesex, mother of Jemima Bird; died 1865, aged 81.

Although not a direct ancestor, it was her line that enable me to be able to trace my line. Her son married his cousin my great x 3 grandmother.

Is there anyone who lives in the area who knows where this church is and would be preparted to obtain a photo of it for me and I will pay costs.

This is the link to the church details where she is mentioned

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=48177

Thanks

jannic
20-02-2009, 8:56 PM
Hi Kermie

I live close enough to Cardiff to be able to take a picture of the Church and the plaque. Unfortunately I haven't been able to work out which of the Churches in Roath the plaque is in. I'll keep working on it but if you get another offer don't turn it down.

Jan

jannic
20-02-2009, 9:08 PM
Ok - I'm going with the mention of Roath Court, as the mill, farm and village green appear to no longer exist. Roath Court is now a funeral home and the nearest Church is St Margarets.

I'll pop along there next week and get some pics for you.

Jan

kermie62
23-02-2009, 1:51 AM
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you,

I went home for the weekend, (I work in Perth and live in Bunbury most weekends) to discover no power and so no internet, no computer no lights. Back to candles so really in touch with my ancestors. Freezer full of meat that had been sitting there for 3 weeks wasnt pleasant though. At least the flies couldnt get to it.

I would appreciate if you did that and I thank you for making the effort. I will see if perhaps I can narrow down the church, there must be a local parish office. I am suprised there is more than one church

jannic
24-02-2009, 3:52 PM
Made the trip to Roath today and luck was on your side! Once I had blagged my way in (apparently it's kept locked to deter vandals!) a very knowledgeable gentleman showed me to the south transept and allowed me to stand on the pew to get a good photo of the plaque. He also said that the Bird family had a family crypt outside the south transept until 30 years ago when the council levelled most of the Churchyard and removed the rubble!|banghead|

Anyway I have 5 photos for you. 2 of the plaque, 1 of the entire wall and 2 of the outside of the Church in all it's winter glory. How would you like me to send them to you?

Jan

kermie62
25-02-2009, 2:31 AM
thank you very much,|bowdown|

It makes me very upset when councils and people destroy graveyards, some people have no sense of history, of respect of simply pure vandalism. I discovered my great Uncle died as an infant and was buried in the Geraldton cemetery but when I went to look, they had simply bulldozed a sand dune over the top and built houses over it. I mean Geraldton, (isolated town of 20,000 located 450 kilometres north of perth), the one thing it doesnt lack is space. Pure vandalism for commercial gain from public property.

Anyway off my soap box.|soapbox|

Thank you for doing this for me, I assume you ahve a digital camera in which case you can mail it to sjhollis AT hotmail DOT com or if you want to mail it. If there is any cost let me know please and I will happily fork up the required currency of the realm. I am eager to see it as well as pictures of the church. Can you give me the general address or the church name and I, the tragic that I am will look at it on google earth. I would guess that the crypt was also where my aunt was buried so that is a tragety. Anyway thanks for the help and when I go over eventually to visit the church, (which is now one of about 1000 family sites to visit) I will buy you a cup of tea and a bun.

kermie62
05-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Jannic came through with the bacon and I would like to thank her very much for her help