PDA

View Full Version : Eaton in Kent, 1600's

nrvogt
15-02-2005, 10:53 PM
I am researching the Eaton family and have acquired some information, i.e. IGI parish records births and marriages, excerpts of wills, Mayors of Dover. The subject of my search is John Eaton, reportedly the son of Nicholas Eaton of Dover, Kent. John Eaton arrived in America about 1635. The will of his step mother was probated in 1635. In it she mentions "sons in Law" which I infer to mean step sons. A step son John is mentioned, however, in the father's will of Dec 1636 and probated 1637 the only John Eaton mentioned was the son of his bother, Peter, deceased. Might he have been omitted from the will because he was already in America?

There was a will for Nicholas' first wife Jane Eaton written in 1584 and probated same year, but I do not know the contents. Does anyone have access to the Consistory Court of Canterbury or have any access to Eaton information before 1635?
Nancy Vogt

wdegidio
01-02-2011, 5:07 AM
Will of Jane Eaton written 27 Aug 1584 proven 29 Dec 1584.
Jane Eaton, was the widow of William Eaton and Executrix of his estate. Eldest son William; names her other sons John, Peter, and Nicholas "then under age." She stated, "they shall be kept for one year more in France to learn to French tongue, and shall afterwards be put to some science or occupation," and also mentions "my other children," as well as her son-in-law, James Huggenson, sole executor. We later find that her daughter Barbara Allen actually administered her father's estate a few months after her mother's death instead of James.*
Based on the information in the will of Jane Eaton and the marriage of son Nicholas Eaton to his second wife Joan, the following approximately dates of birth can be ascertained:

Children of WILLIAM EATON and JANE HUSSEY are:
1. Joyce Eaton born Abt. 1558. m. James Huggenson
2. Barbara Eaton born 1560 in Dover, Kent, England; married Mr. Allen.
3. William Eaton born 1562 in Dover, Kent, England. He was not under age according to his mother's will dated 27 Aug 1584.*
4. John Eaton born 1564 in Dover, Kent, England. He was said to be "then under age" in his mother's will dated 27 Aug 1584.
5. Peter Eaton born 1570 in Dover, Kent, England, he died 1631 in Dover, Kent, England; married Elizabeth Patterson January 28, 1602/03 in Dover, Kent, England (St. Mary's). He was said to be "then under age" in his mother's will dated 27 Aug 1584.
6. Nicholas Eaton born 1572 in Dover, Kent, England; and married (1) Katherine Masters, 2 Nov 1596 and (2) Joan [Tidderman] Gibbs, a widow,*26 Jul 1626 in St. Margaret's, Canterbury, Kent, England. At the time of his second marriage in 1626 he stated he was age 53, I am showing him as turning 54 later that year or born in 1572. He was Keeper of the Churchyard of the Church of St. Mary the Virgin in Dover, England and is buried there 14 Jun 1635. He was said to be "then under age" in his mother's will dated 27 Aug 1584.

I am researching the Eaton family and have acquired some information, i.e. IGI parish records births and marriages, excerpts of wills, Mayors of Dover. The subject of my search is John Eaton, reportedly the son of Nicholas Eaton of Dover, Kent. John Eaton arrived in America about 1635. The will of his step mother was probated in 1635. In it she mentions "sons in Law" which I infer to mean step sons. A step son John is mentioned, however, in the father's will of Dec 1636 and probated 1637 the only John Eaton mentioned was the son of his bother, Peter, deceased. Might he have been omitted from the will because he was already in America?

There was a will for Nicholas' first wife Jane Eaton written in 1584 and probated same year, but I do not know the contents. Does anyone have access to the Consistory Court of Canterbury or have any access to Eaton information before 1635?
Nancy Vogt