PDA

View Full Version : JOHN BANKS & ELIZA ANN HEWITT, Co.Down

Mary Young
15-02-2005, 9:10 PM
My great-grandmother, EDITH LETITIA BANKS, was born 1854 in Moira, Co.Down, to John BANKS and Eliza HEWITT. She married John LEWIS in Workington, Cumberland, in 1876. They moved to Glasgow after 1881 and had 11 children. Edith died there 1908.
Strangely, although Edith's birth isn't in the I.G.I, three siblings are listed, all born in Moira, Co.Down.
1864, GEORGE EDMOND BANKS.
1866, MARY JANE BANKS.
1869, LOUISA BANKS.
My great-grandparents are listed in the 1881 census in Workington.
But where is everyone else?? - John and Eliza Banks, and their 3 children age 16, 14, and 11.
Should I expect to find them in the 1881? Perhaps they stayed in Co.Down and it's not part of Great Britain census?
Grateful for any pointers - my research experience is mainly in Scotland, I know nothing about Irish records or geography |help|

Peggy
15-02-2005, 9:45 PM
[Perhaps they stayed in Co.Down and it's not part of Great Britain census?]

Except for a few isolated fragments, the 1901 is, I believe, the first census for Ireland to 'scape going up in flames. :mad:

One record surviving is Griffiths Valuation, which lists landowners and renters in the mid-19th century. The date is different for different counties; seems to have been 1863-64 for co. Down. The LDS has it, as do some pay sites on the web. There are also some transcriptions on the web. Ah! Try this site: http://members.cox.net/hayes1966/down.htm Is see a John Banks in Moira. You might want to get the "full monty."

Good luck (you'll need it <G>),

Peggy

Mary Young
16-02-2005, 10:34 AM
..., the 1901 is, I believe, the first census for Ireland to 'scape going up in flames. :mad:
So I can conclude, if they aren't in the 1881 census, the rest of the family probably stayed in Ireland or emigrated.
Thanks for all the pointers, I'll browse through them.
Last night I found a website http://tinyurl.com/3rwjc with a reference to my great-grand-mother Letitia Banks' marriage, but the email address is defunct... aaargh :) I will pursue that further, seems at least one of the family went to Canada.

Peggy
16-02-2005, 6:01 PM
[So I can conclude, if they aren't in the 1881 census, the rest of the family probably stayed in Ireland or emigrated.]

I don't know that I'd go as far as "conclude." :) Many of us have people we know were there who can't be found on the 1881 or another census. They could be the victims of damaged film or transcription error.

Have you tried the Canadian census on the LDS site? Any chance of tracking down the person with the defunct e-mail through google or internet whitepages? I found what might be a snail address. I'll send it in an e-mail.

Also, there may be directories for Co. Down that would help. I guess you know the occupation for John Banks from the marriage cert.

Best,

Peggy

Mary Young
16-02-2005, 10:53 PM
I don't know that I'd go as far as "conclude." :) Many of us have people we know were there who can't be found on the 1881 or another census. Yes, of course you are right, I should have been less definite.
Thanks for possible current address for those website people - I may "have a go" at finding other people listed as part of the family.
As to John Banks, alas he was a labourer - so hard to differentiate.
Yes, I looked at the 1881 Canadian census, but nothing obvious at first look.
Will keep plugging away :)

kierra
24-12-2005, 4:48 PM
Yes we are part of the family you are looking for. Our email changed to [email protected] You may reach me there. I lost the password and can't get back to fix it. We are the Canadian bunch. I have some updated info. Seems the family scattered all over the world. Some in Australia, New Zealand, Scotland, Ireland and a whole crew in Alberta and Ontario, Canada. If you email me I will give you some of the information I have. This is my husband's side of the family and boy is it hard to find the info from Ireland and Scotland. My husband is William John Watson and my name is Sandy and we live in North Saanich, British Columbia, Canada. I am looking forward from hearing from you.

Mary Young
24-12-2005, 5:31 PM
Yes we are part of the family you are looking for. Seems the family scattered all over the world. Some in Australia, New Zealand, Scotland, Ireland and a whole crew in Alberta and Ontario, Canada. If you email me I will give you some of the information I have. This is my husband's side of the family and boy is it hard to find the info from Ireland and Scotland. Hi, Sandy
Hearing from you was a lovely Christmas present! My second cousin, Bev, who lives in Woodstock, Ontario, originally found your website and has been trying to contact you for ages. I sent her the link to this thread, so guess you'll be hearing from her soon!
I live in Scotland, so Scottish research is easy for me, we have discovered more of the family in Glasgow. I'll be in touch soon after Christmas. Meantime, enjoy some of our family pictures at http://redhunter.com/cmy/album/default.htm

JNicLiam
25-12-2005, 12:44 AM
Grateful for any pointers - my research experience is mainly in Scotland, I know nothing about Irish records or geography |help|
Hi Mary
I don't know if you are aware that the 1911 census for Ireland is also open. It may be worth having a look at it to see if any of the family are still in Down at this point. Also this census includes a question as to the lenght of any marriage thus helping to pinpoint the date of marriage.

Mary Young
25-12-2005, 9:26 AM
Hi Mary
I don't know if you are aware that the 1911 census for Ireland is also open. No, I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the heads-up. Is it on-line? Otherwise, we will have to hope someone in the family will visit Ireland one day.:)