PDA

View Full Version : Poor Benjamin Siddall!

MythicalMarian
18-02-2009, 7:51 PM
I don't know if this is the right Forum to post this little thing in, but I just wanted to share a comical reference.

Now that our Geoffers has taught me how to use the National Archives website, and I have applied his lessons to the Lancashire Record Office website too, I was idly searching last night when I came upon this little gem. The father and son in question are among my wills collected through the years to sort out Siddall families, although they are definitely not my direct family.

In the Manchester Quarter Sessions for Midsummer 1684, we find:

Gorton -- maintenance by Thomas Siddall of Benjamin his son, who has been distracted for 8 years.

Any old terminology experts out there who know what exactly this means? I should add, that both Benjamin's Dad and widowed Mum make later bequests to him in their wills, and he did manage to marry (he was the youngest child of this family). Did he get better? :) I do know he died young, though. Poor soul - does 'distracted' mean he wasn't quite a full shilling?

Can our experts shed any light, or share their thoughts on this odd reference - just for interest?

MythicalMarian
18-02-2009, 9:37 PM
Thanks Finbar - I had wondered if it had meant he had suffered amnesia for a while, or something. And then I had this horrid vision of some poor soul wandering about the fields, not knowing who or where he was, until he was thrown on the Parish and his Dad had to come and pay relief.

As I say, he's probably not one of mine, but it's still good to know these old phrases and what they convey about a person.

MythicalMarian
19-02-2009, 6:52 PM
What a fascinating article, Finbar - I have saved a copy to my hard drive for further interest. Thank's for the link.

beachbaby
20-02-2009, 12:09 PM
This link (http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1889239) is worth a look, Marian, but it does take some wading through.

Finbar.

Interesting reading - WHERE do you find these things? It seems like all we have to do is ask and you provide. Excellent!

Teri |bowdown|